Viewer Comments: Prolapsed Uterus - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Prolapsed Uterus:

Prolapsed Uterus - Causes

Have you had any problems due to your prolapsed uterus?

Comment from: JessicaKY, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am only 24 and do not know why I am having this problem. From what I researched, this kind of thing is result of menopause or having kids. Nothing traumatic has happened to me to cause the uterus to move anywhere. Honestly, I have only had sex maybe three times before this started and have not had much since. I cannot think of why this would happen to me. Now the docs are talking about they have to remove my entire uterus in my case! It's not fair.

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I am really tired of this problem. Need some advice. I am 38 I can walk and it falls out.

Comment from: Mys Terry ., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I was diagnosed that I had prolapse uteres, the emergency roo sent me to Urgent. Care. There the doctor examined me, found fibrods when taking ultrasound. Doctor assisted me in wearing a ring that was inserted to hold my uterus. I returned the following day to emergency to find out that the ring wasnot adjusting to me. I lost 6 pints of blood and was hospitalized one day.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 06

I have had prolapsed uterus for several years. I have no problems or symptoms that I know of. I hope it is not tearing things loose internally and I don't have everything above come tumbling down.

Comment from: Viv, 55-64 Female Published: May 31

I am 58 years old and have had a prolapsed uterus since giving birth to my third child and the doctor made me push when I was not having a pain. I was already at a 10. I could feel something tear. After that, I would feel like I had a tampon left in my vagina. When I was 6 months pregnant with my fourth child, I notice the bulge coming from my vagina. I started jumping on a mini trampoline a few months ago and it seems to be giving me trouble since. I have noticed some bleeding after I jumped. It doesn't hurt and never has.

Comment from: Stefani, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am 33 and just gave birth to my 2nd child 7 weeks ago. I wrote this letter to my girl friends one week after my delivery. I just now updated it with the information about the Ben Wa Balls. I really hope this helps some women out there. There is no need for surgery in most cases! It can be corrected over time by using the balls and being hyper aware of taking little steps and not carrying heaving things. There are certain conditions as a woman which every girl learns about in sex ed class. For example how to feel for breast cancer the importance of a yearly pap smear and other general information on understanding our bodies and how to stay healthy. So as an educated woman I dismissed the concern my house maid had over my womb dropping. She kept telling me that in Indonesia after childbirth the women immediately massage their womb back up and then wrap their stomachs in a tight girdle type fabric that sustains the womb to keep it high for 7 weeks. Although I get massaged and also have the girdle my understanding was that this tradition was to help a woman regain her figure and shrink the skin back to the pre-pregnancy condition. My husband and I went out to eat a few days ago. To my shock when I sat back into our low car I felt a surge of pressure in my vagina. I immediately got concerned and started researching conditions of the uterus and if they really do fall out. To my total horror I found that 60% of American woman have a drooping uterus after delivering multiple children. Not just that, I saw pictures of the uterus hanging completely out of the vagina. Well, I was so angry after finding this out because NO ONE ever talks about it! My mom never told me. My sisters never told me. My friends and mentors never told me. Last and worst, my doctor never told me! During my research on a prolapsed uterus, I learned that the vagina is a muscle. I actually thought it was an organ. But as a muscle it supports all of the lower internal organs such as the uterus, bladder, and rectum. If this muscle weakens then the weight of the other organs cause it to collapse and they start to fall into the vagina (there is nothing inherently wrong with the organs themselves). Kegel exercises help to maintain a strong vagina. Doing kegel exercises all day for a few days I could really feel the difference in the strength of my vagina. But for lasting strength and vaginal health a woman should do them regularly with continued daily focus for 12 weeks and then she can maintain that strength with less kegels than initially required to build the muscle. There is also a tool that greatly helped me raise my cervix and womb back to normal. They are called Ben Wa Balls. Mine are purple with a silicone casing that holds two balls. I wear them all day now. My vagina was sore at first, but all my organs moved up significantly within the first week of using them. They also make it easy to remember to hold your vagina muscles tight. I'm breathing a heavy sigh of relief now that everything is back in place.

Must Read Articles Related to Prolapsed Uterus

Vaginal Prolapse
Vaginal Prolapse Vaginal prolapse is a condition in which the structures like the uterus, rectum, urethra, bladder, small bowel, or the vagina itself, prolapses, or falls out of...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Prolapsed Uterus:

Prolapsed Uterus - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your prolapsed uterus?