Prostate Cancer (cont.)
Prostate Cancer Treatment
- Treatments for prostate cancer are generally effective in most men. Different treatment options are indicated depending on the severity of the disease.
- Treatment for localized prostate cancer include:
- Active surveillance
- Radical prostatectomy
- Radiation therapy
- Cryotherapy and HIFU
- Treatment for advanced disease includes:
- A combination of factors defines the severity of the disease or the prognosis (including the chances of dying of the disease).
- Specifically these factors include:
- Tumor stage, defined by the extent of the disease (localized vs advanced) given by TNM staging.
- Tumor grade, defined by the pathologists report on the biopsies or surgical specimen given by the Gleason score.
- PSA value (Prostate Specific Antigen blood test).
- In addition, the therapeutic plan takes into consideration potential benefits vs. side effects of the treatment but also individual factors including the patient's biological -- as opposed to their chronological -- age as well as the presence or absence of comorbidities (other diseases).
- A man's treatment plan should be tailored to his individual case and it may be adjusted according to his expectations, specific needs, and feelings about the different options available.
- It is important that a man understands and discusses his treatment plan with his medical team and specifically with his urologist and/or oncologist (cancer specialist).
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/31/2015
Pierre-Alain Hueber, MD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Prostate Cancer
Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Prostate Cancer: