Prostate Cancer (cont.)
Prostate Cancer Treatment
- Treatments for prostate cancer are generally effective in most men. Different treatment options are indicated depending on the severity of the disease.
- Treatment for localized prostate cancer include:
- Active surveillance
- Radical prostatectomy
- Radiation therapy
- Cryotherapy and HIFU
- Treatment for advanced disease includes:
- A combination of factors defines the severity of the disease or the prognosis (including the chances of dying of the disease).
- Specifically these factors include:
- Tumor stage, defined by the extent of the disease (localized vs advanced) given by TNM staging.
- Tumor grade, defined by the pathology obtained by the biopsies or surgical specimen given by the Gleason score.
- PSA value (Prostate Specific Antigen blood test).
- In addition, the therapeutic plan takes into consideration potential benefits vs. side effects of the treatment but also individual factors including the patient's biological age and potential comorbidities (other diseases).
- A man's treatment plan should be tailored to his individual case and it may be adjusted according to his expectations, specific needs, and feelings about the different options available.
- It is important that a man understands and discusses his treatment plan with his medical team and specifically with his urologist and/or oncologist (cancer specialist).
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/16/2014
Pierre-Alain Hueber, MD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Prostate Cancer
Bone cancer is a malignant bone tumor. There are several types of bone cancer, including osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma, chondrosarcoma, malignant fibrous histio...learn more >>
Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Prostate Cancer: