Viewer Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Psoriatic Arthritis:

Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.

Comment from: c.d., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I developed psoriasis on the instep of my right foot. Within a few months the pain inside my foot was almost unbearable. I was diagnosed by my dermatologist and I ended up at an orthopedic surgeon who did numerous tests and suggested bone fusion. She could not guarantee me more than a 50% chance this would work. I have injections in this foot with steroids and lidocaine every three months. Sometimes this doesn't help at all.

Comment from: desi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I'm 25 and have been dealing with psoriasis for 12 years. The last three years I have been developing PA. It seems to get worse every day and greatly increased when my son was born two years ago. I have tried ointment for the psoriasis on my scalp with short- term decrease but I have not taken anything for the pain in my hands and feet. I eat all organic and am not wanting and medicine that will harm my body. I'm going to start a gluten-free diet and stop eating red meat.

Comment from: Ykkebs, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I have had a very aggressive onset of psoriatic arthritis. I suffer with pain on my hands and feet both the joints and the skin cracking. It affects my daily life and I struggle to still not be angry with it.

Comment from: chrisy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

After having my psoriatic arthritis under control for years, it has now flared up, and there is severe pain across my lower back, above my buttocks. I can hardly move and getting up out of a chair is difficult. All of a sudden instead of being my age of 57, I feel 87. It has come on so suddenly, I don't know what to do.

Comment from: realtor910, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am a 47 year old female with mild psoriasis. It's mainly on the elbows and the scalp and occasionally in the waist area. It gets worse in the winter, and clears considerably in the summer. Psoriatic arthritis has been officially diagnosed within the last four months, but I have had symptoms for the last three years with gradual worsening. I have symmetrical polyarthritis affecting both hands, feet, and hips, and I have osteoarthritis in the hands and spine. I will be starting treatment tomorrow, hoping this will help as I do not want to have to take meds forever. I also take medications for pain.

Comment from: frwalsh, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I am 57 year old male have psa and I also had a liver transplant years ago. The immunosuppressant prograf helped with the psoriasis but not anymore and the arthritis is getting worse (pain in many joint) I been told that I should stay away from NSAIDS because they are bad for my liver. I really don't know what to do except take some kind of opiod. At this point I don't care if I get addicted!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

Currently 42 years old; monthly Remicade infusions and weekly subcutaneous methotrexate injections to control joint pain and swelling in hands/writsts, ankles, lower back, and a shoulder. Psoriasis came first and was always fairly mild (usually not visible to the rest of the world). Also autoimmune hypothyroid. Ten years ago developed a frozen shoulder treated surgically. Took years of physical therapy to deal with scarring. After birth of son six years ago acceleration of aches and pains began; allergic to Celebrex (sulfas) and now GI intolerant to NSAIDS, so therapy has accelerated as well. Tendon swelling in ankles, hands can be biggest problem, and is fairly well controlled at present. Hate prednisone when required. Glad MTX now available for sub-Q without compounding; wish NSAID development could keep up on GI front.

Must Read Articles Related to Psoriatic Arthritis

Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Iritis
Iritis The iris is a circular, pigmented membrane that provides the eye its color and forms the pupil of the eye. The iris is made up of muscular fibers that control ...learn more >>
Joint Pain
Joint Pain Joint pain can be caused by injury or disease affecting any of the ligaments, bursae, or tendons surrounding the joint. Pain also occurs with joint inflammation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Psoriatic Arthritis:

Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for psoriatic arthritis?