Viewer Comments: Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Psoriatic Arthritis:

Psoriatic Arthritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with psoriatic arthritis.

Comment from: cj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

Psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis are new to me. For the past 3 years they have been treating me for rheumatoid arthritis. I have had the all-over joint pain continually for those 3 years and nothing was working! My last treatment for RA was remicade which made my skin break out all over my body. After biopsy and several exams, my hands and feet broke out terribly with psoriasis. Now they tell me I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. I never had psoriasis before! I am currently taking methotrexate and humira and have used many topicals on my hands and feet. My skin seems to be clearing up almost fully, but my joint pain continues and has affected my neck and back also. I am so tired of being in pain everyday! I hate steroids! I can't take nsaids anymore due to stomach pain. I usually try to deal with the pain. Do take hydrocodone on real bad days. Physical therapy has been very helpful on several occasions. Most recently bursitis in my hips and back and neck pain! I'm 40 and feel 80. Really sucks!

Related Reading: methotrexate

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am a 17 year old female. I've had psoriasis since I was 4. About 8 months ago I started to have pain in my knee; I thought it was just from working and standing all the time, but as it got worse I started to think it was something else. So I went to my doctors and he said I could have PA. I was diagnosed last month. Luckily we caught it early. Right now I'm on plaquenil and it's working pretty good.

At 57, I have had psoriasis most of my life. Many topicals I've used, but no relief until methotrexate perhaps 10 years ago. It worked very well to clear most patches. Seeking a more perfect cure and fear of possible liver damage led me to try Enbrel. This too worked, but did not clear patches on calf of each leg. I tried Remicade and this failed after three moths with major onset of psoriasis like I haven't seen since before the methotrexate years ago. Both legs and body were quickly involved. Along with this attack and for the first time has come the rheumatoid arthritis in both my feet. I am back on methotrexate. I have seen a podiatrist and am heading for a rheumatologist.

Comment from: Ginger, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had an outbreak of psoriatic arthritis after I went on the meat-intensive Scars Dale diet. A rheumatologist prescribed Naproxen for a short time and then Motrin. This relieved the pain and swelling substantially. Then I went to the seashore, ate only fish for a week, and forgot to take the Motrin. All pain vanished. Since then, several decades, I limit beef and turkey servings to 3 or 4 a week and eat plenty of fish. If I pig out on meat, I feel it. I don't know if this would work as well for everyone, but it does for me. No side effects of medicine, and the diet is overall healthier.

Related Reading: Naproxen

Comment from: ralph, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have had tendonitis since teen years. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 10 years ago. A couple of years later was diagnosed with PA. I have had heel pain, gout, nail pitting, spondylosis. One rheumatologist says yes to PA, other says no. I've only recently started to have skin issues. It's currently on palms of my hands. I have already been on Humira, Enbrel, Remicade infusions, and Methotrexate. Stelara is the only option I have left. This is the first site I've been on that put ALL of the pieces together. Don't know how often people post, but this has helped me to know I'm not alone.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I am now a 65 year old female. I never showed any signs of psoriasis at all but in my late twenties and not long after giving birth to my second child I developed very painful burning toe joints. My GP sent me to a rheumatologist who after tests diagnosed me with P.A. I was prescribed many different anti-inflammatory drugs. By this time my toes were very badly deformed and my fingers were gradually following suit. Nothing I was prescribed had any effect on preventing the very ugly deformity of hands and feet. At the beginning I was told the only signs of psoriasis was pitting in my nails. A few years ago I developed it on my scalp and in tiny patches on torso and hands. The disease has burnt itself out but now I'm beginning to suffer with osteoarthritis in joints which weren't affected by P.A. Angry...yes I am but not sure who with.

Must Read Articles Related to Psoriatic Arthritis

Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Iritis
Iritis The iris is a circular, pigmented membrane that provides the eye its color and forms the pupil of the eye. The iris is made up of muscular fibers that control ...learn more >>
Joint Pain
Joint Pain Joint pain can be caused by injury or disease affecting any of the ligaments, bursae, or tendons surrounding the joint. Pain also occurs with joint inflammation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Psoriatic Arthritis:

Psoriatic Arthritis - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for psoriatic arthritis?