Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Comment from: acorns21, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 02

At age 77 I had a pulmonary embolism (PE) while resting in my recliner. I was fairly active walking my large dog 2 times a day, and had not traveled in over 2 years. Hospital stay was 3 days, I was put on heparin, then Coumadin. Doctor tried warfarin but it made me really sick. It caused a very painful swollen upper right of abdomen. I stayed on Coumadin for 6 months. After 10 days I was able to walk the dog again and drive short distances. I see both heart and lung specialists once a year and all seems to be fine. From reading other blogs I see that I am not your typical PE patient.

Comment from: Dr. Jay, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

After a long bike ride (3 days, 100 km per day at 80 degrees) I got shortness of breath. It is 1 year out with a pulmonologist since finding the pulmonary embolism, doing Symbicort, 2 inhales BID, warfarin 7.5 mg SID. I have plateaued with treatment. I am reasonably functional, can ride 100 km, needing 1 hit of albuterol after 40 miles. I was told I've got asthma and COPD, but am 'insensitive to obstruction'. I am grossly dissatisfied with treatment results, but maybe I'm just old. I am currently on short term prednisone at 20 mg SID for 4 days, then 10 mg SID for 4 more days. Expiratory force monitor is 300 first thing in the morning and then goes to maybe 400 midday.

Comment from: Lucy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I had a vein ablation (leg). A week later I was in hospital with AE (arterial embolism) and PVT (portal vein thrombosis). Today (4 days out of hospital) doctor reduced my blood thinner. My level was in the 4 range. Tonight I'm experiencing back and chest pain.

Comment from: Laurela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

Five weeks after ankle tendon surgery (on Lovenox for the three weeks that leg was immobilized), I returned to biking for exercise and very light weight work in the gym. I woke up a couple mornings later thinking I'd pulled a muscle, at my shoulder and middle ribcage. The pain grew worse, and it became impossible to draw full breath. At the hospital, they did a CT scan with dye and found several emboli in lower lobes of both lungs. I'm now on Xarelto for foreseeable future. In the interest of disclosure, I do have the C677T clotting disorder and had made two short flying trips within three weeks of ankle surgery.

Comment from: Ray W, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 06

I felt a very heavy weight pressing on chest. The pain was exacerbated by lying on my back. I thought I was having a heart attack. Initial treatment at the hospital indicated the doctors were also suspicious of a heart attack. I had a CT scan, where the doctors found an embolism in left lung. I am now on Lovenox and Coumadin.

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow