Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

...
Comment from: Lou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I started having pain in all my lower extremities, making it difficult to walk, and thought it to be arthritis. I was going to the doctor, taking pain medications and muscle relaxers. Early one morning I started for the bathroom when I felt dizzy, reached to steady myself and passed out, waking up on the floor and every time I raised up would pass out again. I was finally able to crawl to the phone and get the ambulance. The fireman got there first, and it was such a relief to get the oxygen offered by the fireman. I was sweating profusely and had several bags of fluid on the way to the hospital. I thought I was just dehydrated and exhausted but was told by the emergency room doctors that I had multiple blood clots in both lungs. I was in the ICU for 3 days and hospital for 4 more days. It has been a little over 3 months and I am on Xarelto. I am still told to take it easy, I am wondering how long it takes to get back to normal. By the way, the night before I passed out, all the pain went away, and have had no pain since.

Comment from: hope to get better, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I'm a 35 year old female who has 4 blood clots on my left lung. One is the size of a 50 cent piece. This is not my first time getting blood clots, I had pulmonary embolism 2 times before these ones. I took warfarin the first time for 7 months. They went away for not even 3 months and I started having pains again in my chest and finding it hard to breathe. My doctor told me to go to the emergency room (ER) and get a CAT scan done of my lungs and then they found out I had 4 more blood clots on my left lung. I'm told I'll be on blood thinner warfarin for life. I had to take injections in the stomach for two weeks, which made my stomach so sore and looking like someone beat me up. My stomach hurt to touch and even to sit down. This is a very life threating condition if you or anyone you know have symptoms of having difficulty in breathing, or if a touch or any part of your body feels like it is on fire, get to the ER and get medical help right away. If not it could cost you your life. These blood clots changed my life. I get short of breath, it is hard to breathe and I pass out and can't be active with my wife or kids due to not being able to breathe. To anyone who has this pulmonary embolism, I wish you all the best.

Comment from: Pam, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My daughter developed a pulmonary embolism after being on chemotherapy. She has been on Lovenox for 6 months and had a CT yesterday which showed the clot wasn't any smaller. She was told to continue with Lovenox for another 3 months, then more testing.

Comment from: Dr Rady, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My wife is 25 years old, she has given birth to our first child 3 weeks back. After one week she has suffered from severe stabbing chest pain radiating to shoulder, increasing with inspiration. There is no dyspnea, no cough, and no fever. Firstly it was diagnosed as muscular pain as the pain was relieved by analgesics for a few hours, but the pain returns again. X-ray was done and showed mild pleural effusion, she was diagnosed as having pleurisy, she received high doses of antibiotics and analgesics with no relief till the pulmonology doctor advised her to do CT angiography which showed a small peripheral pulmonary arteriole embolism with infarcted area in lower lobe of right lung, D-dimer is high, double the normal, ESR is 115. Now she takes anticoagulant therapy (Clexane 80 every 12 hours, warfarin 5mg once daily), antibiotic (clarithromycin 500mg 2tabs once daily) and analgesic.

Comment from: Nan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am a 69 year old woman....I work in my home office and I was working late one night when I felt like I was going to pass out (I had been particularly tired for weeks so I was sleeping round the clock and then getting up to work a few hours and going to bed again.....when I almost passed out I called 911 and 6 strapping young men came and helped me slide down my stairs on my bum before we reached first floor where there was a rolling gurney to carry me out to the ambulance.....after three days in the hospital and multiple tests the doctors finally ordered a CT scan and diagnosed PE; and I figured out I had been a bad girl -- I was taking HGC - a weight loss product that was a hormone.. the heart doctor who came in to see me said -- you know, taking hormones can cause blood clots! Well then I remembered too that 3 months before, I had fallen hard against the corner of a table where the corner dug into my hip really hard and that may have caused the long blood clot I had deep in my leg.....and it threw off multiple tiny blood clots in both lungs -- the hardest part of the whole thing was...after they determined I had blood clots in my lungs they became real scared for me. I had to wait an afternoon and all night through without seeing a doctor who could tell me if I could get out of bed to use the toilet....so I had to use a bed pan in bed because they wouldn't let me out of bed -- and I hate bed pans! Now I am on Coumadin, but I am not very happy to read here that Coumadin - Warfarin is rat poison, only in different doses!

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Phlebitis
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Tell us your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow