Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

Comment from: classydiva60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I am a 60 year old female asthma has always been a part of my life. As I grew it clearly began to subside and I don't have flares ups. At the age of twelve I developed a blood clot in my right leg. Needless to say I had spent my birthday at Ireland Army Hospital - a month and three days. Back then I didn't understand how serious it was all that mattered to me I was getting a lot of attention from everyone. Well, here I am again with another blood clot this time in the lower left lobe of my lung. Thank God for technology had it not been for a doctor ordering and CT scan the blood clot would have been missed. I suffered no pain but I did experience difficulty breathing actually couldn't breathe out. I did stay in the hospital three days and half my discharge sent me home with blood thinning injections and a pill. After taking the injection and pill I am monitored by a nurse who checks my progress with the treatment everyday even on the weekends. I am home two days and doing fine with the treatment.

Comment from: Tweety, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I am a 37 year old female. I have been visiting my GP on and off for years with sweating, cough, shortness of breath, severe pain between the shoulder blades. Last week went for a walk, got severe chest pain, rang ambos and ended up in the local hospital. Blood tests were taken and the belief was that I had had a heart attack. Next day sent to Brisbane, underwent numerous tests and was diagnosed with PE. Looking back I have had the symptoms of PE for about five years.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 05

While on a walk I passed out. Went to emergency, was hospitalized, but no diagnoses. Two months later I passed out three times before my wife could get me to emergency. I was then diagnosed with multiple clots in both lungs and a deep vein thrombosis. My brother also fainted and was given a clean bill of health after many tests including an angiogram. He told them of my situation. They did a lung scan and found a pulmonary embolism. I now know I test positive for Leiden V factor..

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I experienced a saddle pulmonary embolism two days after outpatient knee arthroscopy. I received heparin, Lovenox and warfarin in the ER. A CT scan revealed bilateral emboli. An echocardiogram revealed a slightly enlarged right ventricle. After two days in ICU the ventricle had returned to normal. I was transferred to the cardiac floor on Lovenox and warfarin.

Comment from: Renee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

Shortly after turning 40, I was diagnosed with severe anemia and received a blood transfusion. Two weeks later I developed bilateral multiple pulmonary emboli, thought to have come from a DVT in my left arm from the transfusion. I was hospitalized for five days, during this time I was treated with a Heparin drip and Coumadin. I was taken off the Coumadin a year and a half later and suffered a single pulmonary emboli, and I was treated with Lovenox and Coumadin. I remain on lifelong Coumadin therapy. I also have chronic pulmonary emboli as a result.

Comment from: Andrea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I was hospitalized initially for CHF with an ejection fraction of 25-30%. After discharge I was finally able to lay flat and had a CT done which showed bilateral scattered pulmonary emboli. I was readmitted to the hospital immediately. I am in my second week now of oral warfarin. I still am having right-sided chest pain, sharper on deep breath and worse as the day goes on. I am right handed so wondering if this attributes to it. I am sixty yrs old. Doctors are not sure why all this has occurred.

Comment from: Toto UK., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

Following a small operation for bunion correction on my right foot, I had DVT four days after the operation. The pain in my right calf lasted only for the best part of the day and went. two days after that, I had a sharp shooting pain in my left lung and my chest and throat felt crushed, as if all air was being vacuumed out of my lungs. I could not breathe for a long while and felt I was going to meet my maker. Luckily, my body relaxed and I was able to live. I went to hospital on an emergency. They gave me an injection of heparin, took blood samples, X-ray and CT scan. I was told I had PE. My breathing was shallow and I was kept in hospital for 2 days. I was injected on a number of times with "clot buster.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

48 yo female, had a robotic assisted hysterectomy. I was doing great and went home. I experienced chest pain, coughing up blood and shortness of breath. I attributed these to gas pains, breathing tube, etc. I was ordered back to hospital when I called doctor, and after chest X-ray and lung CT scan, it was determined that I have multiple clots in lungs. I was hospitalized for four days, and treated with thinners. I'm going home today with and injectable and Coumadin. I'm grateful to be alive.

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a blood clot imbedded in one of the major veins of the lower body, including the legs, thighs, or pelvis. C...learn more >>
Phlebitis
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

From WebMD