Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

Comment from: dshelton, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I recently had an episode at work walking up the stairs and I was short of breath that evening driving home. I had sharp pain on left side/ shoulder area, I went to the doctor and he sent me to the emergency and diagnosed a blood clot in the left lung. I am on Coumadin and 2 shots per day of Lovenox for 4 days now and had a sharp pain. Just short sharp pains on the left side of my neck, but I am fine now. Probably just a pain, but doc said the blood clot is stabilized and won't break off and even if there are other clots they are stabilized with medication.

Comment from: Ktazz1967, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

I have pulmonary embolism, a saddle they call it. I don't feel like I am getting any better, still in a lot of pain and can't take a deep breath. I've been to the emergency room so many times I know them by name. All they keep telling me is be patient.

Comment from: macca, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I am on warfarin “ Coumadin for pulmonary embolism.

Comment from: No name, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

For pulmonary embolism I had Arixtra injections until warfarin became therapeutic.

Comment from: jfs79, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I am 34 year old and workout almost every day including cardio. I had a sharp pain in the left side of chest and thought it was indigestion related. The pain intensified and I noticed I was short of breath and felt like I could not inhale enough oxygen. The pain worsened and went to the emergency room to find out I had multiple PEs (pulmonary embolisms) including a large one in my left lung. I am on warfarin now for 6 months and can breathe again. It takes some time to get used to a new diet, but not too bad. A section of my left lung was damaged and has not healed.

Comment from: Tippy, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 18

My best friend was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism. She is in consist pain. She has clots in her groin and a new one has formed on her lungs, with smaller clots. The clots don't move, and harden up. She was treated with pain meds, but they aren't working any longer and the doctors say there is nothing else left for them to do. She is giving up. She has been like this for two years. The doctors say it's too risky for them to operate.

Comment from: Gus, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I'm 47 years old. Two years ago while working I coughed up blood. I panicked when to the restroom and wiped the blood. A couple of weeks later while helping my brother in law the same thing happened. I got home and it got worse. I could hear a bubbling sound from my lungs and the coughing began followed by blood. I decided to go to the emergency room. When I got there panic took over since I was a carrier of tuberculosis I thought it was that. I was let in right away. I had tests done. I was in the hospital for six days. They told me that I was fine and sent home. The setback was that they began giving me TB medicine.

Comment from: Jmorgan15, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Hi, I was diagnosed with pulmonary embolisms in both my lungs about a week ago, I am 27 years old and a non-smoker. The only reason they believe caused this could be birth control. I am on lovenox shots and Coumadin until my blood will thin out, it has been over a week and my blood still is not thin enough.

Comment from: Harry, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

Hi, My name is Harry and I am 29 years old. I have been diagnosed with Pulmonary Embolism (clot in my left lung). I am on warfarin now (10mg) a day and getting injected in stomach twice a day. The treatment will continue for at-least six months.

Comment from: Yaniasmailbox, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

A week ago today, I noticed shortness of breath after running up a flight of stairs which was unusual for me but my first thought was that I must be getting out of shape. So I dismissed it as just that. On that same day I noticed sporadic involuntary gasps for air every so often. That's what prompted me to research such symptoms. It was advised that I seek medical attention immediately, which I did. I went in to see my doctor and a saturation test indicated something was very wrong. My doctor suspected PE and sent to over to our local hospital for further testing, including a CT scan. He was correct. I had some blood clots in both lungs. The pulmonary specialist determined I was a rare case because there is no indication of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) having taken place and no other factors to support a diagnosis of PE. He remains baffled. I was discharged from the hospital yesterday after a few days on Heparin via IV and Coumadin.

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow