Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

Comment from: tink, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I had pulmonary embolism in both lungs. Was in ICU for 7 days and in the hospital another 7 days. It is almost six months and due to extreme inching all over my body my doctor took me off Coumadin. He had planned to take me off in two weeks anyway. I still have some shortness of breath and itching and it has been 4 days that I am off Coumadin. I hope it disappears in the next few days. I am 69 years old and have always been fairly healthy.

Comment from: jbben, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had a PE in Sept 2010. I was admitted and it took quite a while to regulate my Coumadin level. Once stable they sent me home. They could find no source, though I had had a DVT in 2008. My doctor checked the INR level for a while. I was surprised when my INR went from 1.5 to 1.4 and he didn't adjust the Coumadin. A week later I had a second PE. They immediately started me on Lovenox with Coumadin. My hematologist was out of town when I was admitted and when he returned he said "no more monkeying around!" and had me taken off Coumadin and just treated me with Lovenox. I have been giving myself 2 Lovenox injections per day without any further problems. Apparently it is very hard for them to regulate Coumadin levels for me. I was told I would be on Lovenox for a few months and then they would try to switch me to Coumadin and would likely be on that all my life. It's been 4 months on Lovenox. As long as I have no further embolisms, I don't mind the injections.

Comment from: dshelton, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I recently had an episode at work walking up the stairs and I was short of breath that evening driving home. I had sharp pain on left side/ shoulder area, I went to the doctor and he sent me to the emergency and diagnosed a blood clot in the left lung. I am on Coumadin and 2 shots per day of Lovenox for 4 days now and had a sharp pain. Just short sharp pains on the left side of my neck, but I am fine now. Probably just a pain, but doc said the blood clot is stabilized and won't break off and even if there are other clots they are stabilized with medication.

Comment from: Ktazz1967, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

I have pulmonary embolism, a saddle they call it. I don't feel like I am getting any better, still in a lot of pain and can't take a deep breath. I've been to the emergency room so many times I know them by name. All they keep telling me is be patient.

Comment from: macca, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I am on warfarin “ Coumadin for pulmonary embolism.

Comment from: No name, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

For pulmonary embolism I had Arixtra injections until warfarin became therapeutic.

Comment from: jfs79, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I am 34 year old and workout almost every day including cardio. I had a sharp pain in the left side of chest and thought it was indigestion related. The pain intensified and I noticed I was short of breath and felt like I could not inhale enough oxygen. The pain worsened and went to the emergency room to find out I had multiple PEs (pulmonary embolisms) including a large one in my left lung. I am on warfarin now for 6 months and can breathe again. It takes some time to get used to a new diet, but not too bad. A section of my left lung was damaged and has not healed.

Comment from: Tippy, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 18

My best friend was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism. She is in consist pain. She has clots in her groin and a new one has formed on her lungs, with smaller clots. The clots don't move, and harden up. She was treated with pain meds, but they aren't working any longer and the doctors say there is nothing else left for them to do. She is giving up. She has been like this for two years. The doctors say it's too risky for them to operate.

Comment from: Gus, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I'm 47 years old. Two years ago while working I coughed up blood. I panicked when to the restroom and wiped the blood. A couple of weeks later while helping my brother in law the same thing happened. I got home and it got worse. I could hear a bubbling sound from my lungs and the coughing began followed by blood. I decided to go to the emergency room. When I got there panic took over since I was a carrier of tuberculosis I thought it was that. I was let in right away. I had tests done. I was in the hospital for six days. They told me that I was fine and sent home. The setback was that they began giving me TB medicine.

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Phlebitis
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow