Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

Comment from: Gus, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I'm 47 years old. Two years ago while working I coughed up blood. I panicked when to the restroom and wiped the blood. A couple of weeks later while helping my brother in law the same thing happened. I got home and it got worse. I could hear a bubbling sound from my lungs and the coughing began followed by blood. I decided to go to the emergency room. When I got there panic took over since I was a carrier of tuberculosis I thought it was that. I was let in right away. I had tests done. I was in the hospital for six days. They told me that I was fine and sent home. The setback was that they began giving me TB medicine.

Comment from: Jmorgan15, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Hi, I was diagnosed with pulmonary embolisms in both my lungs about a week ago, I am 27 years old and a non-smoker. The only reason they believe caused this could be birth control. I am on lovenox shots and Coumadin until my blood will thin out, it has been over a week and my blood still is not thin enough.

Comment from: Harry, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

Hi, My name is Harry and I am 29 years old. I have been diagnosed with Pulmonary Embolism (clot in my left lung). I am on warfarin now (10mg) a day and getting injected in stomach twice a day. The treatment will continue for at-least six months.

Comment from: Yaniasmailbox, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

A week ago today, I noticed shortness of breath after running up a flight of stairs which was unusual for me but my first thought was that I must be getting out of shape. So I dismissed it as just that. On that same day I noticed sporadic involuntary gasps for air every so often. That's what prompted me to research such symptoms. It was advised that I seek medical attention immediately, which I did. I went in to see my doctor and a saturation test indicated something was very wrong. My doctor suspected PE and sent to over to our local hospital for further testing, including a CT scan. He was correct. I had some blood clots in both lungs. The pulmonary specialist determined I was a rare case because there is no indication of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) having taken place and no other factors to support a diagnosis of PE. He remains baffled. I was discharged from the hospital yesterday after a few days on Heparin via IV and Coumadin.

Comment from: Robyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Oxygen for 8 days, Clexine injections twice daily for 10 days, bed rest for seven days, mild exercise after one week, and Warfarin.

Comment from: barbie doll, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I am a 45 year old female who is very active and usually outside as much as possible, until June 18, 2012. I had step throat and went into the Fastcare for it and when she gave me a nebulizer I developed a severe pain down my left arm and heart. So, they took me into the ER to see what was going on. They took some blood, did a CT scan, X-rays etc. They came in a little while later and told me I had a clot in my left lung, which could be treatable. I was so shocked and scared. They admitted me into the hospital for 3 days and I had to take coumidin and lovelox for a couple of weeks. I still go now every Tuesday to get my blood work done. I might have to be on coumidin for the rest of my life, but it is worth it to be with my family. So if you have shortness of breath, and pain in the left side go right away to the hospital and get it checked out and if they don't do nothing find another doctor.

Comment from: CJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

After having shortness of breath and pain in my left lung, went to urgent care. Was told it was a virus and they gave me cough suppressants. Feeling being in a few days, then suddenly had difficulty sleeping, breathing, coughing. Pain then transferred to right side. I thought I had pneumonia. Husband took me to ER, where I was eventually diagnosed with multiple PE in both lungs. I asked for antibiotics so I could go home, as I did not know how serious this really was. Doctor could not tell me how much longer I would have lived had I not gone to ER. First thing the nurses asked me was are you on birth control pills (which I was). I ad four-day hospital stay and now I'm on warfarin for six months.

Comment from: BlueMtMom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I was put on 80 mg Lovenox injections every 12 hours and Coumadin 7.5 mg every evening until my INR stabilized at 3. Then the Lovenox was stopped and my blood tests went from every 2 days to 2 x a week until we knew the Coumadin was maintaining my INR at 2.5 to 3. I am still getting tested once a week and on 5 mg Coumadin now. No idea how long this will last but a weekly blood draw is far better than going through the nightmare of the PE again!!

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Phlebitis
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Tell us your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow