Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

...
Comment from: Robert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I was watching TV when suddenly I couldn't breathe. I called 911 and when the emergency medical technician/paramedic checked my EKG, he gave me an aspirin. In the emergency room I was poked and prodded. I was given, among other drugs, morphine and nitroglycerin. A technician came and drew more blood and I inquired why and was told that enzymes in my blood indicated I had, had a heart attack. I was then sent to a cardiac unit in another hospital where I was promptly stripped of my clothing to ready me for surgery. A group of doctors began questioning me. I was a bit vague on the pain in my chest because I pretty much hurt all over. A doctor pressed me very hard and out of confusion I offered up, 'well, my leg has been bothering me for some time, but I don't pay attention to aches (I've been operated on everywhere). An ultra sound was done of my leg, and a chest x-ray. After which I was not allowed to get up to go to the restroom. I was told I had many clots in both lungs and lucky to be alive. After a 4 days in the cardiac intensive care unit I was sent home to administer my own shots in my abdomen. Further blood tests revealed I had some kind of hereditary defective gene that predisposed me to DVTs (deep vein thromboses). I have now been on warfarin for years and expect to stay on it for life.

Comment from: RN, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I experienced sudden shortness of breath but ignored it for several days (very stupid). Finally I went to the emergency room. D-dimer result was high, CAT scan showed bilateral pulmonary embolism and ultrasound showed a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) in right leg. I was very fortunate to have a cardiologist who had done a lot of research on the use of what he called safe dose thrombolysis. He used low dose TPA (tissue plasminogen activator) and within 3 hours my oxygen went from 86 to 98. No more shortness of breath and was released on Eliquis 5mg twice daily. It has been 3 months and so far so good. I had no pain or swelling in my leg and no pain in my chest only the shortness of breath. Doctors called it an atypical case. Take shortness of breath seriously, it can save your life!

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

Two weeks ago I fell from the railing on my deck and tore my ACL (anterior cruciate ligament). I was placed in a knee Immobilizer until an MRI determined the damage. I started experiencing pain and slight swelling in my calf. Ten days after the fall an MRI confirmed the ACL tear and an ultrasound confirmed multiple DVTs (deep vein thrombosis). At the emergency room the doctor got concerned because I had low oxygen levels and high respirations. Sure enough, there were multiple PEs (pulmonary embolisms) in both lungs. This was 2 days ago and yesterday I was sent home with blood thinners and no other instructions. I have to admit I'm a little scared.

Comment from: Bullit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

The treatment for my pulmonary embolism (PE) was oxygen, nebulizers, inhalers and warfarin. I had the PE in May and by August 20th all of the above were taken away with the exception of warfarin. I was taken off warfarin on March 1st this year and will have blood work done on May 1st of this year.

Comment from: rosy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am a 58 year old female, very healthy and active until 5 months ago when I had an outpatient minor knee surgery. I developed a blood clot in my back of my knee that led me to the emergency room with chest pains to find out some of the blood clot had broken off and ended up in both sides of my lungs. I was hospitalized for 4 days in intensive care for treatment of the pulmonary embolism. I am now on one pill a day Xarelto. After 5 months, the clot in my leg is still there and I have been told the clots in lungs will never go away and leave scars in time that may give me problems later in life but the clot in the leg should dissolve in my body in time. I don't feel like I will ever feel the same, I am tired easily and get out of breath. I may have to be on Xarelto the rest of my life but it seems a lot better than some of the other blood thinners on the market.

Comment from: Aussiejo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had a car accident which led to three DVTs (deep vein thrombosis) in my femoral artery in my leg, from my knee down. I was give Clexane injections for a week and started on Marevan (warfarin), at the same time. I was taking warfarin for about four weeks before I started getting chest pains. I went to the emergency room and they did some tests then sent me to another hospital for another test which confirmed I had bi-lateral pulmonary embolism. They took me off warfarin because my blood had antibodies in it that they could only explain as, 'my body was fighting the warfarin', instead of the clots, and put me back on Clexane injections. I had another ultrasound before I left the hospital and they found three more clots in me, another in the top of my leg and the two in my lungs. I have been injecting myself twice a day for the last two near three weeks, at home. My chest hurts every day and this lets me know what I can do for the day, I am trying to lay down and not do too much but I'm an active person and am hating it. But if I'm sitting up straight or walking around my chest hurts more and I feel as if someone is pushing on my lungs so I can't breathe properly. I was sent home from hospital with an appointment date for the hematology unit at the hospital and just told to go back then, with no confirmation that the injections will work for me or what kind of time frame I'm looking at.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Phlebitis
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Tell us your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow