Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

Comment from: Yaniasmailbox, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

A week ago today, I noticed shortness of breath after running up a flight of stairs which was unusual for me but my first thought was that I must be getting out of shape. So I dismissed it as just that. On that same day I noticed sporadic involuntary gasps for air every so often. That's what prompted me to research such symptoms. It was advised that I seek medical attention immediately, which I did. I went in to see my doctor and a saturation test indicated something was very wrong. My doctor suspected PE and sent to over to our local hospital for further testing, including a CT scan. He was correct. I had some blood clots in both lungs. The pulmonary specialist determined I was a rare case because there is no indication of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) having taken place and no other factors to support a diagnosis of PE. He remains baffled. I was discharged from the hospital yesterday after a few days on Heparin via IV and Coumadin.

Comment from: CJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

After having shortness of breath and pain in my left lung, went to urgent care. Was told it was a virus and they gave me cough suppressants. Feeling being in a few days, then suddenly had difficulty sleeping, breathing, coughing. Pain then transferred to right side. I thought I had pneumonia. Husband took me to ER, where I was eventually diagnosed with multiple PE in both lungs. I asked for antibiotics so I could go home, as I did not know how serious this really was. Doctor could not tell me how much longer I would have lived had I not gone to ER. First thing the nurses asked me was are you on birth control pills (which I was). I ad four-day hospital stay and now I'm on warfarin for six months.

Comment from: BlueMtMom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I was put on 80 mg Lovenox injections every 12 hours and Coumadin 7.5 mg every evening until my INR stabilized at 3. Then the Lovenox was stopped and my blood tests went from every 2 days to 2 x a week until we knew the Coumadin was maintaining my INR at 2.5 to 3. I am still getting tested once a week and on 5 mg Coumadin now. No idea how long this will last but a weekly blood draw is far better than going through the nightmare of the PE again!!

Comment from: Kandid, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I was diagnosed with a massive PE in December 2007. I was hospitalized for two weeks, in which I was injected with blood thinners alongside tablets. I did not have any "classic symptoms" as asked me by the consultant. I was breathless and on two occasions I felt very light headed but that was all. It took sevenweeks to diagnose my PE, by which time I was advised to contact my children and close family as I had 50-50 chance of surviving. July 13th 2012 I went into hospital with same symptoms and again they found a clot on my lungs. Consultants have told me they have no explanation for me as I "don't fit the classic features of a PE." I just need to understand what causes PE's in a 45 year old who is relatively fit.

Comment from: Wendy, Female Published: July 11

It took me two months to seek medical attention because the symptoms of three pulmonary clots were so transient. I would have a moment of breathing faster and tachycardia, then back to normal. I was in Cambodia and received care of bed rest for four days with heparin, then flew to Singapore for a ten day stay, where the lungs were evaluated. I was lucky. Warfarin for a year, and then stopped. I also was taken off HRT and Celebrex.

Comment from: Micah, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I'm a 17-year-old female. I thought I was healthy minus the fact I had to be on birth control to help with cramps. I was totally fine all day then I got up, took a few steps, and couldn't breathe. It was the scariest thing to ever happen to me. I waited a few days it just got worse so I went to the doctors who then sent me to the hospital. After two days of testing they finally did a CT scan. I was told I had a large right pulmonary embolism. My doctor told me it was one of the largest he's ever seen. I was giving Needles upon needles to run tests and so much morphine I barely remember my hospital stay. I was there for 3 weeks. I still don't know what cause it but I get tested every week. They think it might of been the pill. I take 2-3mg of warfarin daily.

Comment from: Florida Flyer, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I am a 60 year old man who thought he was in great shape. Low BP, low pulse rate, slim, very active. I fly a lot and after a three-hour flight, layover, and another three-hour flight. I became out of breath after climbing two short flights of stairs in the airport parking garage. Two days later at home the pain in lower back was too much to sleep. I finally went to the ER where they told me that I had clots in both lungs.

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a blood clot imbedded in one of the major veins of the lower body, including the legs, thighs, or pelvis. C...learn more >>
Phlebitis
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).