Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

...
Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I have multiple bilateral pulmonary embolisms. They couldn't understand why I got them in the lungs, because they didn't find any in legs or anywhere else in my body. So at this time we still have no answer as what the cause was. I was on Coumadin for six month and now I have to take baby aspirin daily for the remainder of my life.

Comment from: angela, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am a 32 year old woman who suffered a bilateral pulmonary embolism. I noticed I had a tight chest for a couple days and still not sure if it was related to my DVT passing. I had leg pain in my calf muscle for about a week and a half. I had it checked by ultrasound but it came back clear. Nine days after the test I was going up a flight of steps in my home. It was like my calf muscle just gave out. Then within seconds I could hardly breathe. I rested for a few hours hoping the tightness in my chest would subside. I knew something was wrong so I went to the E.R. My vitals were ok. They were going to send me home. I am the one who suggested a walk down the hall with my monitors on. During activity, my oxygen levels dropped and they did an EKG and CT scan, which showed the P.E. on both lungs. They found three more clots in my leg. I am no taking Lovenox and Coumadin. The clots were caused from progesterone and estrogen-infused birth control.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy on a Wednesday. Went home the next day felt fine for two days. On the fourth day after the surgery, I felt tired, but I had no other symptoms. Next day, I had some pain with deep breaths but attributed that to the gas used in the surgery. By the next day, I had pain in my right kidney region. By the sixth day, I was in extreme pain. I went to my doctor and I was told that I probably had a kidney infection. When I got home from the doctor's office, the pain so bad I could not stand it. I went to the ER and had a CT scan done to look for stones. Thankfully the doctor saw a shadow on my right lower lung. I had massive clots throughout my right lung and blood flow had been cut off of the lower lobe causing it to die. That was what my pain was from. I had no other symptoms except extreme pain. I was in the hospital for five days. I'm on Lovenox twice daily and I also take Coumadin. I will be on warfarin for six months.

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I thought I was having a heart attack. I had deep aching pain in my back just between the shoulder blades thru the front of my chest, then a sharp pain when I tried to breathe. Finally a sharp pain developed under my arm. It was traveling down my arm and I had another sharp pain in the side of my chest. I have been on a hormone spray called EvaMist for several years. The physician said it caused me to have blood clots in my legs and they went to my lungs.

Comment from: Sandee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

With sle lupus this can be frequent and horrible, so I woke up with a strong pain in my back on the left, under my shoulder blade from right to left and the pain gets stronger upon each breathe All I wanted was cryin and if I stood to walk the breathing got really bad an inhaler does nothing to make it better and being on warafin already forever did nothin to, the ER immediately or within 24 to 48hrs this is a serious thing and I say 24 hrs as to wait just in case it's from sleeping wrong but if its worse in any way please go!

Comment from: loubellelou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I have had pain in my right leg for over a month. I have been treating it like a pinched nerve -- I had the sore leg for about 2 weeks then my lower back began to spasm, which was terribly painful for a week. I went to the doctor when my back was so bad. He put me on an anti-inflammatory. That took the back pain away- but the leg pain came back.

Comment from: Mainer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I went to the ER with pain every time I breathed in -- not in my chest, but in my back and side. Unfortunately, the ER doc did not think of PE and sent me home with diagnosis of pulled muscle and possible shingles! (I had no rash) 4 hours later I was back in ER, gasping for air like a fish out of water in SO much pain; I had multiple bilateral pulmonary emboli. We never figured out why - none of the risk factors fit, and none of the ultrasounds found signs of a clot. I was in the hospital 2 weeks and in rehab another week. I'm a female, 48, not on estrogen. Wanted to pass along the back and side pain piece - obviously your lungs aren't just at your chest!

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a blood clot imbedded in one of the major veins of the lower body, including the legs, thighs, or pelvis. C...learn more >>
Phlebitis
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?