Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Comment from: northwestgordon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

Following knee surgery, a few days after taking it easy, I was outside feeding our ranch dog. As I was making my way back to the house, I took in a breath that felt like I just entered a walk-in restaurant freezer, it felt ice cold. Suddenly my heart rate started racing, and as I walked up the steps to my front door I felt very weak and faint. When I made it to the door, I just lay down on my back as I was about to black out. My heart started calming down, I started to think clearly again, so I got up and opened the door, and my heart started racing again as I tried to get to our bedroom where my wife was sleeping. I made it to the couch where I collapsed again. Then after a while, I calmed down and made it to the bedroom and collapsed on the bed and woke up my wife. She had to take me to the hospital for an ultrasound, and then they had me take anti-coagulant shots for a couple of weeks before starting me on Coumadin. I really didn't experience much pain at all with my pulmonary embolism.

Comment from: Katie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have been having wheezing and some shortness of breath. I thought it was due to my asthma. I have also had some mild chest pain and shoulder pain. I went to urgent care, who sent me to the emergency room. Thank goodness! They ran blood tests, and a CT scan which found the blood clot (pulmonary embolism) in my lower lung. I was hospitalized and given shots. I am now home and on Xarelto.

Comment from: Claire, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism (PE) in May 2014 and this was the scariest time of my life as I was 8 months pregnant! The pain started in my right leg; I had large veins that spread up to my groin. I went to the doctor and he told me it's just varicose veins! My boyfriend massaged my calf muscle after I finished work which felt good as my calf was so painful. I then went for a Doppler scan on my leg and it was negative. I think it was too late, the clot had already moved. I experienced shortness of breath but mainly heart palpitations and anxiety. I still would like to know how I got this clot and why. Consultants say it is all pregnancy related but I'm still not convinced. I had lots of blood tests they are all ok. I'm on warfarin now for 9 months.

Comment from: Wahela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

My only symptom of pulmonary embolism was shortness of breath when I walked around. I'm a nurse, and stupidly I thought perhaps my asthma was worse, or maybe pneumonia. I drove myself to the emergency room (ER), they did a CT scan and I was on a helicopter to the big city within 20 minutes. I had a saddle embolism covering both sides of my chest. I had lytic therapy that night, and went home 3 days later on Lovenox and warfarin. I hadn't had chest pain or any other problems. My pulse would be normal sitting unless I stood up and walked a few feet, then it would go up to 150 or so. My blood pressure was also high. SaO2 was between 92% when sitting to 80% when standing. I had had a DNA test for a research study and they said I had an MTHFR gene that was damaged. My Mom had blood clots for years, my grandmother, great grandfather and great-great-grandfather all died of blood clots that broke loose causing emboli. So I will be on warfarin for life. My vascular surgeon said there is clearly a clotting disorder in our family and I believe him.

Comment from: Kellygreen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I just got home from a 4 night hospital stay. I am 45 and broke my ankle 1 month ago. I was in a cast and was told not to put weight on it. So I spent a lot of time sitting. Saturday night I developed severe right back pain. It was getting worse and then I was short of breath. I tried to lie down to sleep but the pain was so severe and the shortness of breath was worse. I went to the emergency room (ER) and after having a CT of my chest with contrast I was diagnosed with several bilateral embolisms. Also I was on the birth control 'Yaz', which puts you in a higher risk category. I was put on Lovenox and Coumadin. What a painful experience! I am happy to be alive but will now worry about every little symptom and wonder if I am developing another clot!

Comment from: Sisqi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was a healthy 32 year old who had just had a baby. I had pain in my back. I'd had two sets of clots. One in my spleen and one in my placenta only 2 weeks before. The pain got worse over about 30 hours. Because of the recent clots I went to the Accident and Emergency room. Whilst there and being hooked up to monitors I suddenly couldn't breathe. The doctor came in; very calm and said, oh it's a panic attack. (Very right I was panicking!) It turns out I had many clots on my lungs. Because of the doctor I didn't get treated for days. I ended up with bad scarring on my lungs. I've since had 3 more lots of clots and been diagnosed with antiphospholipid syndrome. I have to have warfarin and Clexane for life. I've always said clots have a very unique kind of pain. For me they start with a feeling of a bruise. Then an achy feeling. To a point of agony (especially the spleen ones I've had). Always get checked. Better safe than sorry.

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow