Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

...
Comment from: Ybnsane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I thought I would be smart and get ready for some nice mountain summer hikes here in a few months, and I went into a vascular clinic and got my saphenous vein and other varicose veins that were causing aches and pains in previous hikes, taken care of. This minor day surgery is done by thousands of men and women every year. You are told there is a threat of blood clots, anesthesia problems, paralysis, etc., and death. All surgical clinics tell you this and you sign on the dotted line and think nothing of it. I was first up that morning for vein surgery and I had to be there at 6 am. I got home about one in the afternoon. My right leg was wrapped up tight to the thigh but with a fatty excess bulging at the top. It became irritating as the hours passed and the bandage was too tight. I put up with it for several hours until I decided to loosen it at the top and re-wrap it. Well, I set off a red gusher all over the floor and soaking into the lower bandage down to my ankle. I went to the emergency room (ER). The bleeding had stopped under the bandage and had a re-wrap done and I was on my way home. Follow up ultra-sound appointment found a blood clot at the groin and I was given Xarelto to take twice a day. The next day I went for a walk as suggested to keep blood flowing and was tired when I got back home. I lay down on the couch and raised my foot up on the back of it so my leg would be higher than my heart as instructed. I didn't lie there too long before I felt a sharp severe stabbing sensation at the point where the ultra sound technician found the clot. I quickly threw myself off the couch and stood up and walked around the living room a bit and the pain subsided. Then suddenly my shoulder was in such pain I couldn't move it. I had never experienced pain like this before. It didn't last long and that subsided and I was fine again. A couple of days later I had another ultra sound and the surgeon told me that the pain in my shoulder was caused by the blood clot in my lung. So now I have a blood clot in my lung and waiting for Xarelto to dissolve it.

Comment from: northwestgordon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

Following knee surgery, a few days after taking it easy, I was outside feeding our ranch dog. As I was making my way back to the house, I took in a breath that felt like I just entered a walk-in restaurant freezer, it felt ice cold. Suddenly my heart rate started racing, and as I walked up the steps to my front door I felt very weak and faint. When I made it to the door, I just lay down on my back as I was about to black out. My heart started calming down, I started to think clearly again, so I got up and opened the door, and my heart started racing again as I tried to get to our bedroom where my wife was sleeping. I made it to the couch where I collapsed again. Then after a while, I calmed down and made it to the bedroom and collapsed on the bed and woke up my wife. She had to take me to the hospital for an ultrasound, and then they had me take anti-coagulant shots for a couple of weeks before starting me on Coumadin. I really didn't experience much pain at all with my pulmonary embolism.

Comment from: Katie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have been having wheezing and some shortness of breath. I thought it was due to my asthma. I have also had some mild chest pain and shoulder pain. I went to urgent care, who sent me to the emergency room. Thank goodness! They ran blood tests, and a CT scan which found the blood clot (pulmonary embolism) in my lower lung. I was hospitalized and given shots. I am now home and on Xarelto.

Comment from: Claire, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism (PE) in May 2014 and this was the scariest time of my life as I was 8 months pregnant! The pain started in my right leg; I had large veins that spread up to my groin. I went to the doctor and he told me it's just varicose veins! My boyfriend massaged my calf muscle after I finished work which felt good as my calf was so painful. I then went for a Doppler scan on my leg and it was negative. I think it was too late, the clot had already moved. I experienced shortness of breath but mainly heart palpitations and anxiety. I still would like to know how I got this clot and why. Consultants say it is all pregnancy related but I'm still not convinced. I had lots of blood tests they are all ok. I'm on warfarin now for 9 months.

Comment from: Wahela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

My only symptom of pulmonary embolism was shortness of breath when I walked around. I'm a nurse, and stupidly I thought perhaps my asthma was worse, or maybe pneumonia. I drove myself to the emergency room (ER), they did a CT scan and I was on a helicopter to the big city within 20 minutes. I had a saddle embolism covering both sides of my chest. I had lytic therapy that night, and went home 3 days later on Lovenox and warfarin. I hadn't had chest pain or any other problems. My pulse would be normal sitting unless I stood up and walked a few feet, then it would go up to 150 or so. My blood pressure was also high. SaO2 was between 92% when sitting to 80% when standing. I had had a DNA test for a research study and they said I had an MTHFR gene that was damaged. My Mom had blood clots for years, my grandmother, great grandfather and great-great-grandfather all died of blood clots that broke loose causing emboli. So I will be on warfarin for life. My vascular surgeon said there is clearly a clotting disorder in our family and I believe him.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Phlebitis
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Tell us your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow