Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Comment from: Kellygreen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I just got home from a 4 night hospital stay. I am 45 and broke my ankle 1 month ago. I was in a cast and was told not to put weight on it. So I spent a lot of time sitting. Saturday night I developed severe right back pain. It was getting worse and then I was short of breath. I tried to lie down to sleep but the pain was so severe and the shortness of breath was worse. I went to the emergency room (ER) and after having a CT of my chest with contrast I was diagnosed with several bilateral embolisms. Also I was on the birth control 'Yaz', which puts you in a higher risk category. I was put on Lovenox and Coumadin. What a painful experience! I am happy to be alive but will now worry about every little symptom and wonder if I am developing another clot!

Comment from: Sisqi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was a healthy 32 year old who had just had a baby. I had pain in my back. I'd had two sets of clots. One in my spleen and one in my placenta only 2 weeks before. The pain got worse over about 30 hours. Because of the recent clots I went to the Accident and Emergency room. Whilst there and being hooked up to monitors I suddenly couldn't breathe. The doctor came in; very calm and said, oh it's a panic attack. (Very right I was panicking!) It turns out I had many clots on my lungs. Because of the doctor I didn't get treated for days. I ended up with bad scarring on my lungs. I've since had 3 more lots of clots and been diagnosed with antiphospholipid syndrome. I have to have warfarin and Clexane for life. I've always said clots have a very unique kind of pain. For me they start with a feeling of a bruise. Then an achy feeling. To a point of agony (especially the spleen ones I've had). Always get checked. Better safe than sorry.

Comment from: Jayde, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am 36 years old and was on birth control pills. I'm also a nonsmoker. I started having a lot of pain in my left shoulder. I thought I pulled a muscle. Then that night the pain started under my left breast bone, and continued into the left side of my back. It wasn"t going away so the next morning I went into emergency room. They did a scan and found I had blood clots in both my lungs. They said it was from birth control pills. I was hospitalized for 5 days. I am now on warfarin and was on the shots in my abdomen for 5 days. I will be on warfarin for 6 to 9 months. Please be aware of the risks of birth control pills, and please go to emergency if you have any unusual pain.

Comment from: Exprssurslf, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I am a healthy 41 year old women who started out with just an ordinary urinary tract Infection. I went to be checked to see if my kidneys were part of the UTI (urinary tract infection) because I had left flank pain from my side around my back and then the pain radiated up into my shoulder and neck, but only on my right side. It lasted the entire day and into the night. My doctor told me that if the pain didn"t go away, to go to the emergency room. After the pain woke me up in the night, it was then making me short of breath and I couldn"t inhale fully. I finally went to the ER. A CT showed several blood clots in both my left and my right lungs. I have no risk factors for pulmonary embolism. Good thing I listen to my gut!

Comment from: Promethius, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have not been diagnosed yet with pulmonary embolism. I"ve been having increasing shortness of breath with heart speeding up when I try to do anything like walk outside or pick something up from floor or even talk while washing my hands. I thought it was worsening anemia since I do have anemia, though have not had this breathing symptoms as bad as this. Then during the night and today suddenly I got severe shoulder pain in left shoulder for no reason. Yesterday I had stabbing pain near the breast, which I thought maybe was a breast problem and dismissed it. The shoulder is hard to ignore. I have autoimmune disorders and have wondered for quite some time if I have antiphospholipid antibodies, but so far no one will test. Oddly, nearly a year ago I went to the emergency room for 10 out of 10 pain in other shoulder which was never really diagnosed; I don"t know if that"s related to this. I haven"t been out much due to snow so it's hard to assess if I can breathe doing normal stuff like shop. In terms of preceding leg pain, because of autoimmune stuff I often get leg pain and heaviness and muscles stuff, so telling what"s different and what's usual leg pain is hard.

Comment from: Diana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am 65 and just had knee replacement surgery. Two days later my blood pressure dropped drastically (but no other symptoms) and I was sent for a CT scan which showed I have a blood clot in my lungs. I was put on a heparin IV for 4 days and am now taking rivaroxaban, it's an alternative to warfarin which is rat poison and it demands lots of blood tests etc. It's expensive but well worth it!

Comment from: Janesman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I have been diagnosed with PE (pulmonary embolism) twice within the last 2.5 years. My symptoms were not the usual. I had no shortness of breath, no problems listening to the lungs, D-dimer test negative, pain was in my right side lower abdomen. All tests were negative to PE, but I eventually found out that I had a large clot both times. Only severe pain the first time, and my insistence to my family doctor the second time, that I needed to be admitted into hospital probably saved my life.

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Phlebitis
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Tell us your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow