Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Comment from: R. Casey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

58 yr old female who had entire right lung removed [due to cancer] this past July, then did four rounds of chemo starting in September. Have good days and bad, which seems to be expected, but during the first week of December I ended up back in the hospital. I was getting sharp pains in my chest - almost like a knife, and was shorter of breath than usual. To make a long story short, when they finally did a CT [RIGHT BEFORE they were going to send me home] they discovered the blood clot in my left [and only] lung. I stayed in the hospital approx. 7 days with injections, then Coumadin. After leaving hospital I am taking 3 mg Coumadin daily and getting my blood "checked" every other week. It is now February and I'm still on Coumadin which seemed to work, but this past week I have been shorter of breath and getting those pains again. I get my blood checked today and guess I'll just wait for the results [it usually only takes a day]. I'm wondering if I will ALWAYS need the Coumadin - and if this medication shouldn't have been started immediately following such a major surgery as mine.

Comment from: Beeny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

My first blood clot was in 2000 while I was on hormone therapy. I had gained weight and had a job sitting many hours a day. In 2009 I began having leg pains--especially calves. In June I had a hip replacement and was checked because of my previous blood clot. I was on meds for 6 wks, then aspirin. In August I began to have swelling of feet and ankles but was checked-I had a superficial clot. Later on I began having shortness of breath but thought I was just gaining weight. In November I had a speaking engagement and had trouble breathing. December I got out of bed and experienced terrible pain in my right leg. Collapsed onto dining room table and had a sharp pain in middle of my chest. I had a DVT and many pulmonary embolisms--including the saddleback clot. I still get charlie horses when I stretch my legs, my ankles swell occasionally. For several weeks I had a dry cough but it has disappeared. Blood tests had been run at the University hospital earlier in the year and nothing was found.

Comment from: Denise Jackson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am a 54 years old female and I was diagnosed with PE. I was having shortness of breath for four days straight. I told my daughter but she thought it was much to do about nothing. She told me to lie down and get some rest. I did but it continued, and I had that panting sound. I decided to go to the emergency room. They immediately did blood work on me and a couple of hours later, a nurse came in and said the doctor wanted to do a CT of my chest. I had a nurse with bad bedside manners. I was so scared and she blurted out you have a blood clot- do you want to go home and die? I nearly fainted from her insensitive remark. At any rate, I was placed in the hospital for observation. The Doctor put me on anti-clotting medications. No one showed me how to use the needles neither was I given clear instruction on how to use the two medications. I was released the next day. I felt like I was criminal instead of a patient. I am now seeing my own doctor and she is going to send me to a Pulmonary Specialist. The clot on my lung was small according to the emergency room doctor and it was on the lower part of my lung. If anyone is having any type of shortness of breath, pain in your legs or arms, please go to the emergency room immediately because the life you save maybe your very own.

Comment from: Karla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had knee surgery and everything felt fine. The next evening, my calf started feeling very tight with severe cramps and light chest pain all night. Thought it was after effect of anesthesia, but next day calf was extremely sore, felt like something wrapped tight around it, so I went to ER. The ultrasound done on my leg found nothing, so they did a chest scan and found two small clots in my lung. I was admitted and kept in hospital all weekend. I didn't think this could happen to me; I don't smoke or drink; I eat healthy, and exercise. I'm 52 years old, weigh 127 pounds and other than sports injuries, no health issues.

Comment from: sharon, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 11

My husband has clots in both lungs and the only symptoms that he has had is one very sharp pain in his side that took his breath away for about ten seconds.

Comment from: timothy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 16

It started with what I thought was a cramp or the like in my left leg. I used the normal over-the-counter muscle rubs with no help at all. After 2 weeks with no pain relief, the pain had gone up my calf to my thigh. As I began to massage the area, I immediately started to sweat profusely, had tremendous shortness of breath, vision was very blurred, and almost passed out several times through this 40 minute event. Living alone, off the grid, with no cell or landline phone, it took me 2 days to feel well enough to go to the doctor. It was deep vein thrombosis, which led to pulmonary embolism on both sides of lungs. One should never wait as long as I did to get the initial test of what the pain was in my leg. Don't delay having the cramps in your legs checked out. It saved my life.

Comment from: exhausted, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 16

emedicinehealth.com was so much more helpful than the nurses and doctors during the hospital stay!!! THANK YOU!

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a blood clot imbedded in one of the major veins of the lower body, including the legs, thighs, or pelvis. C...learn more >>
Phlebitis
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

From WebMD