Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Comment from: Pam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I broke my foot and had to have surgery to have a metal screw put in. Two months later I woke up one morning with pain in my right ribcage radiating into my back and up into the right side of my chest. I didn't consider it a heart attack since it was on the right side and I don't have a gall bladder so I thought I'd dislocated a rib since I'd done it before. The next evening as I climbed into bed I had a searing pain in the left side of my chest and I knew I was going to pass out. I tried to get to my husband but passed out. When I came to, I managed to crawl through the door and get his attention. I was taken by ambulance to an emergency room where the nurse and doctor that cared for me immediately had suspicions and sent me for a CT right away. I had a massive PE (pulmonary embolism) and was transferred to a hospital with an available ICU. It was 10 days before I came home. I was put on a heparin IV, Lovenox shots and Coumadin. They finally removed the heparin but then my liver enzymes went way up. Finally they put me back on the heparin and stopped the Lovenox which finally resulted in my enzyme levels dropping. I am now home and on 7.5mg of Coumadin per day. I am extremely fatigued though and wondering when I will be back to normal.

Comment from: Ripster39, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

Male, 61 yrs, excellent physical condition. In April I fell 25 ft from ladder, landing on my feet but compound fracturing both ankles, resulting in plates and screws to repair, and in casts from toes to upper thighs. Sent home in 4 days to a rented hospital bed and a very attentive wife who worked 24/7 to care for me. 6 weeks later following normal wake up and breakfast routine, into the wheel chair, etc, I suddenly felt a sudden chill, lightheaded and dizzy, turned white, fainted, then came to, and really felt disoriented. My wife saw this happening, dialed 911, and in minutes the medics were at my side, administering an injection, and putting me on a stretcher. During the ambulance ride I lost consciousness and vitals stopped, causing them to take me to the nearest hospital, not the one we requested, and there I was dropped off. The ER doctors did not know what was wrong. They suspected a stroke. After two days one doctor decided that my leg casts indicated possible clots could be present and ordered a sonogram, which disclosed a number of clots traveling up my right leg veins. He ordered heparin drip, and suggested a Greenfield filter be inserted into my vena cava. Since I am still alive, it worked. The omission of any blood thinners such as Coumadin following the initial ankle fractures was unforgivable and declared the contributing cause of the pulmonary embolism. My lower lobe of right lung is plugged and shows dark on x-ray. Any lower leg trauma should be monitored, clot formation expected, and dizziness, lightheaded feelings, and confusion should not be ignored.

Comment from: Sue86, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I developed a nasty cough which didn't clear up after a course of medicine, so I went to see my nurse in the general practitioner's (GP) surgery. She took some blood and did an ECG and sent me for a chest x-ray. Later that day my GP rang to say I needed to go to hospital as they didn't get enough blood and I couldn't wait in case it was a blood clot. So after 4 days in and after 2 different lung scans it was confirmed I had a clot (pulmonary embolism), only a small one, but I have had sharp pain in my back and ribs, shortness of breath and night sweats; not very nice at all. I'm on Clexane injections once a day for 6 months to get rid of it. I do feel for all of you with one too.

Comment from: octogenarian, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I may have had a blood clot in my left lung (according to my doctor) the day after I had sat in a prone, slightly tilted downward position for 2-1/2 hours in the dentist's office. The night of the day following I awoke with severe sharp pains on the left side of my chest. I could not take a deep breath. This lasted about 15 minutes, gradually decreasing. The pulmonary embolism must have taken care of itself spontaneously.

Comment from: Janesman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I have had pulmonary embolism (PE) twice in the last 3 years. First time was 3 months after surgery to remove my prostate because of cancer. Symptoms were pain that was awakening me at night. The pain was located near my liver region, not in the chest. After 5 nights of this I was flown by chopper to hospital at 1.30 am. It took the hospital 13 hours to find I had PE. The D-dimer test came back negative, so this confused the medical staff. Eight months ago I had a disc removed from neck (C5/C6). Anesthetist before the operation said I would receive a Clexane injection (blood thinner) 24 to 48 hours after the operation because of my risk to PE. A junior doctor at 36 hours after the operation removed this chartered medication. His or her belief was that the chances of PE from a neck operation were almost nil. Four weeks later I was almost fainting while trying to work. My local doctor said nothing was wrong with me. Another week later I was admitted again to hospital. A CT scan showed I had 4 large clots, of which 1 was very massive.

Comment from: lhessler816, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I thought I had pulled a muscle from shoveling snow and bowling. My friends were actually making fun of me because they thought I was just that weak. I took it all as a joke. That night, after a massage, all of a sudden I got really sharp stabbing pains all over my chest, my back, and my side. My boyfriend thought I was having a stroke. I couldn't breathe in; I couldn't stand up, or anything. I laughed it off as being really, really sore, and for the next 15 minutes sat in the bathroom crying because I didn't know what was wrong. My muscles loosened enough that I could crawl back into bed, and propped up with a pillow, I took four Tylenols, and fell asleep taking shallow breaths. The next four days got worse and worse “ it felt like my bra was too tight no matter what I did. The pain radiated into my right shoulder and was very extreme. Then I started coughing up lots of blood. I went to the ER. After some research, I told the ER doctor that either I had bad pneumonia or a pulmonary embolism. I didn't know the reality of it “ just what I read. And there it was “ after high D-dimer levels, a chest X-Ray, and a CT scan “ I had a PE with a very large infarction. I had recently started taking birth control to regulate periods. Yes “ I was a smoker, but didn't understand the risks. I'm not smoking anymore, and I'm on Xarelto for the next 3 to 6 months. And it sucks. I have the worst headaches and my eyes go fuzzy. I get head rushes, lose my breath from walking to and from my car, and it feels like there's a knife stuck in my lung. It's been four weeks and I haven't slept thought a whole night since. Oh “ and I just turned 30. I had no idea what I was in for.

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Phlebitis
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Tell us your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow