Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I am a female, 49 years old, non-smoker, on oral contraceptives since age 16 for family planning and long heavy menses and gradually worsening shortness of breath. I excercise almost daily, but found I could not do the easiest of my step videos without my heart racing to over 150bpm. As I have gained almost 30 lbs over the year, I thought I was just "out of shape," but then could not walk up stairs without heavy breathing and my heart racing. Bloodwork, chest x-ray showed to be normal and pulmonary function tests were normal except for slightly decreased diffusing capacity (oxygen not transferring to the blood like it should). A CT scan yesterday showed multiple emboli.

Comment from: Ant, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 14

45-year old male. Non smoker, non-drinker. Office job. Clinically obese, but six foot six muscular ex-athlete. Infrequent long-distance walker. No classic pre-conditions (no long distance flying, surgery, trauma etc). Diagnosed PEs to both lungs. Onset for me was very rapid - over 2-3 days before collapse. First sign: uncomfortable getting to sleep - required extra pillows to raise head/chest. Breathlessness walking up stairs. Briefcase became heavy to carry. Unable to walk fast. General fatigue. Finally, 2 days later, upon even minor exertion - shortness of breath, rapid shallow breathing, very rapid heart rate, weakness in legs and arms, pains in chest, arms, back and head. Dizzy episodes. Collapse.

Comment from: riverrat46, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 12

In 2000 I became very short winded. I went to four different doctors with the same prognosis and they couldn't find anything wrong.I had nuclear stress test, EKG (electrocardiogram), a stress test, and a Doppler of the heart. I was told I was all right, even though I knew better. December 2, 2008 all of a sudden, I couldn't get my breath and had some of the worst pain I have ever had on the left side of my chest. I thought it was a heart attack. A test showed a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in the right lower extremity, with a pulmonary embolism (PE) in both lungs. I am now on warfarin for the rest of my life. My lung doctor told me I was very lucky to be alive. Being a wild land firefighter I had to walk a lot so I stayed in shape. If you come down with shortness of breath and they can't find a reason, get them to check for blood clots in your lungs. I am very blessed to be alive and hope this will help someone. They can do blood work and if you have anti-platelet syndrome (also called Hughes Syndrome) you will need to be on warfarin.

Comment from: Shell, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

My Doctor suspected that I had a clot in the lung. I had pain in my chest and my blood tests showed a clot. I am 6 months pregnant. At hospital they pressed my sternum and said it wouldn't hurt if it was a clot, and diagnosed me with inflammation of the sternum. Today I had to go to Dr as I was having squeezing pains which were pretty terrible. It felt like a heart attack. The doctor gave me some Gaviscon and the pains stopped, but still have sore chest and hurts when I breathe. He said I am having esophagus spasms and prescribed Losec, which I haven't taken yet.

Comment from: cazzie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

At first I found I was breathless “ I thought I had over myself with work), so ignored it then I started having tightness in my chest. I put that down to indigestion. Then I was like I was fighting to breathe. The pain got so severe that if I laid down, the pain would intensify. It got so that I couldn't breathe and I couldn't walk without gasping for air. I went to the emergency room and that is where I learned that I had pulmonary embolism in both lungs.

Comment from: Linda Vaughn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism on December 14th and remained in ICU for 5 days before going to CCU. I was on Heparin and Coumadin and I am still taking Coumadin 5mg one day and a pill and a half the next because my doctor said that my Coumadin level was at 1.6. I had a blood clot in the left leg that moved to my lungs and I was told that I had saddle clots in both of my lungs. I am back to work and back in school taking classes twice a week. I still tire easily but I do make sure that I rest as needed.

Comment from: Amanda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

This past Friday night I had a sharp pain in my right side toward my shoulder, this fades out until Saturday. On Saturday I did a lot of walking. I started having some mild pain when taking deep breaths at the bottom of my left lung that felt like it went from my chest straight through to my back. As the evening progressed I didn't do much other than lay around and I tried to feel better. By the latter part of the evening I began to hurt severely from chest through to back and could not catch my breath or inhale at all without severe pain. In my head I thought I was having a heart attack. The ambulance came and checked vitals everything seemed okay. The doctor in the ER ordered a CT scan of my chest and then diagnosed me with PE. Scary situation!!! I am a very lucky person. Don't postpone getting help for any reason. Chances are things may not get better without help.

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a blood clot imbedded in one of the major veins of the lower body, including the legs, thighs, or pelvis. C...learn more >>
Phlebitis
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?