Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Comment from: Sue86, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I developed a nasty cough which didn't clear up after a course of medicine, so I went to see my nurse in the general practitioner's (GP) surgery. She took some blood and did an ECG and sent me for a chest x-ray. Later that day my GP rang to say I needed to go to hospital as they didn't get enough blood and I couldn't wait in case it was a blood clot. So after 4 days in and after 2 different lung scans it was confirmed I had a clot (pulmonary embolism), only a small one, but I have had sharp pain in my back and ribs, shortness of breath and night sweats; not very nice at all. I'm on Clexane injections once a day for 6 months to get rid of it. I do feel for all of you with one too.

Comment from: octogenarian, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I may have had a blood clot in my left lung (according to my doctor) the day after I had sat in a prone, slightly tilted downward position for 2-1/2 hours in the dentist's office. The night of the day following I awoke with severe sharp pains on the left side of my chest. I could not take a deep breath. This lasted about 15 minutes, gradually decreasing. The pulmonary embolism must have taken care of itself spontaneously.

Comment from: Janesman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I have had pulmonary embolism (PE) twice in the last 3 years. First time was 3 months after surgery to remove my prostate because of cancer. Symptoms were pain that was awakening me at night. The pain was located near my liver region, not in the chest. After 5 nights of this I was flown by chopper to hospital at 1.30 am. It took the hospital 13 hours to find I had PE. The D-dimer test came back negative, so this confused the medical staff. Eight months ago I had a disc removed from neck (C5/C6). Anesthetist before the operation said I would receive a Clexane injection (blood thinner) 24 to 48 hours after the operation because of my risk to PE. A junior doctor at 36 hours after the operation removed this chartered medication. His or her belief was that the chances of PE from a neck operation were almost nil. Four weeks later I was almost fainting while trying to work. My local doctor said nothing was wrong with me. Another week later I was admitted again to hospital. A CT scan showed I had 4 large clots, of which 1 was very massive.

Comment from: lhessler816, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I thought I had pulled a muscle from shoveling snow and bowling. My friends were actually making fun of me because they thought I was just that weak. I took it all as a joke. That night, after a massage, all of a sudden I got really sharp stabbing pains all over my chest, my back, and my side. My boyfriend thought I was having a stroke. I couldn't breathe in; I couldn't stand up, or anything. I laughed it off as being really, really sore, and for the next 15 minutes sat in the bathroom crying because I didn't know what was wrong. My muscles loosened enough that I could crawl back into bed, and propped up with a pillow, I took four Tylenols, and fell asleep taking shallow breaths. The next four days got worse and worse “ it felt like my bra was too tight no matter what I did. The pain radiated into my right shoulder and was very extreme. Then I started coughing up lots of blood. I went to the ER. After some research, I told the ER doctor that either I had bad pneumonia or a pulmonary embolism. I didn't know the reality of it “ just what I read. And there it was “ after high D-dimer levels, a chest X-Ray, and a CT scan “ I had a PE with a very large infarction. I had recently started taking birth control to regulate periods. Yes “ I was a smoker, but didn't understand the risks. I'm not smoking anymore, and I'm on Xarelto for the next 3 to 6 months. And it sucks. I have the worst headaches and my eyes go fuzzy. I get head rushes, lose my breath from walking to and from my car, and it feels like there's a knife stuck in my lung. It's been four weeks and I haven't slept thought a whole night since. Oh “ and I just turned 30. I had no idea what I was in for.

Comment from: OkieAnnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I recently experienced my second pulmonary embolism. My first was 10 years ago, and reflecting back the symptoms were very much the same both times. My first occurred at age 55, following a knee scope the previous day. The scope was performed early in the day and I was released in the afternoon. The next morning, about an hour after waking up, I became nauseous, my heart was racing, I had a crushing pain in my chest, and it was difficult to breathe. I made it to the couch before passing out. My neighbor came over to check on me and I was taken to the hospital. The diagnosis was a pulmonary embolism. I spent a week in the hospital, after which I was sent home with five days of Lovenox and Coumadin. My second pulmonary embolism occurred a month ago. I began having difficulty breathing, my heart was racing, and I was suddenly very tired. I headed for bed, only to decide I was too hungry to get to sleep. Within about 15 minutes I was nauseous and vomited. The next morning I felt better, but was tired and dragged all day. Once again that evening when I tried to go to sleep, I felt very hungry. However, this time I avoided eating. Within 15 minutes of lying down, I began having chest pains, was nauseated, and my heart was racing. I took my blood pressure, which was 139/72. I slept on the bathroom floor. The next day I went to the ER and had a CT scan, which revealed a saddle embolism in both lungs. I was immediately transferred to a larger hospital with a better-equipped ICU. I remained in intensive care for three days before being transferred to a medical/surgical unit for another eight days. I am now at home taking Coumadin indefinitely and Lovenox for the next five days.

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow