Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Comment from: Amanda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

This past Friday night I had a sharp pain in my right side toward my shoulder, this fades out until Saturday. On Saturday I did a lot of walking. I started having some mild pain when taking deep breaths at the bottom of my left lung that felt like it went from my chest straight through to my back. As the evening progressed I didn't do much other than lay around and I tried to feel better. By the latter part of the evening I began to hurt severely from chest through to back and could not catch my breath or inhale at all without severe pain. In my head I thought I was having a heart attack. The ambulance came and checked vitals everything seemed okay. The doctor in the ER ordered a CT scan of my chest and then diagnosed me with PE. Scary situation!!! I am a very lucky person. Don't postpone getting help for any reason. Chances are things may not get better without help.

Comment from: Tina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

When I had my first blood clot, I had sharp stabbing pain in my leg, then hip then in my shoulder blade. That was thirteen years ago to the day. Unsure if the second one was a blood clot, I had the same symptoms, only worse and my chest pain is severe. No chest pain with the first time. I took eight 325mg of regular aspirins in a 16 hour period so no blood clot was found even though I had all the symptoms of one. I was given blood thinner right away. The CT scan showed nothing, the stress test was good, only minor evidence of something. The doctor suggested an angiogram to be sure there is no blockage, so I will schedule that in the next month. I continue to be lightheaded but not on any medication.

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a blood clot imbedded in one of the major veins of the lower body, including the legs, thighs, or pelvis. C...learn more >>
Phlebitis
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Please describe your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

From WebMD