Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

Comment from: OkieAnnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I recently experienced my second pulmonary embolism. My first was 10 years ago, and reflecting back the symptoms were very much the same both times. My first occurred at age 55, following a knee scope the previous day. The scope was performed early in the day and I was released in the afternoon. The next morning, about an hour after waking up, I became nauseous, my heart was racing, I had a crushing pain in my chest, and it was difficult to breathe. I made it to the couch before passing out. My neighbor came over to check on me and I was taken to the hospital. The diagnosis was a pulmonary embolism. I spent a week in the hospital, after which I was sent home with five days of Lovenox and Coumadin. My second pulmonary embolism occurred a month ago. I began having difficulty breathing, my heart was racing, and I was suddenly very tired. I headed for bed, only to decide I was too hungry to get to sleep. Within about 15 minutes I was nauseous and vomited. The next morning I felt better, but was tired and dragged all day. Once again that evening when I tried to go to sleep, I felt very hungry. However, this time I avoided eating. Within 15 minutes of lying down, I began having chest pains, was nauseated, and my heart was racing. I took my blood pressure, which was 139/72. I slept on the bathroom floor. The next day I went to the ER and had a CT scan, which revealed a saddle embolism in both lungs. I was immediately transferred to a larger hospital with a better-equipped ICU. I remained in intensive care for three days before being transferred to a medical/surgical unit for another eight days. I am now at home taking Coumadin indefinitely and Lovenox for the next five days.

Comment from: stacycap, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I experienced chest pains mostly on my right side near my shoulder and right lower side. I could not inhale fully without having sharp pains and felt a lot of pressure near my sternum. I went to urgent care and they did blood tests and chest x-ray (which came back fine). My blood test was abnormal so had to get a CT scan and they found multiple blood clots in my lungs. Still don't know why or how this came along since I am 20 years old, young and healthy adult. #1 they think it is from Nuvo Ring, don't ever take it. Now I am on Coumadin 6months and Lovenox for 5 days.

Comment from: JBB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had a medium amount of chest pain - right in the center of my chest. I've had angina before and thought that was what it was. I was very surprised when they said the CT scan showed a few pulmonary embolisms. No other symptoms. And then two weeks later I had another one. Same - just chest pain.

Comment from: Rachel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

Today I am finally home after 9 long days in the hospital. I was found to have clots in both lungs. It started 3 month ago when I had my asthma so flared up I couldn't seem to get better no matter how many breathing treatments I had. I ended up with bronchial attacks and on top of that I also got a very hard case of the influenza. It took me 4 days to get rid of the high fevers. I was having a lot of coughing spasms. I noticed two weeks before than that suddenly I had a very sharp pain on my left upper arm directly into my left breast; it felt like someone had dug a knife. I thought it was because I had been coughing so hard for many weeks. Never would I have known it was clots in my lungs. I had more frequent shortness of breath especially when climbing the stairs or walking too fast. I had notice I was losing myself. My daughter took me to the ER because my breathing was getting harder and my heart started to race. She knew I was getting discoloration in my skin and the fever was not helping. If it wouldn't have been for her forcing me to go I might not be here sharing this with you. We just seem to take everything for granted and we ignore many signs that the body gives us. In my case I don't have insurance and that played a big factor. I am still young and my children need me. I am so blessed I have another chance. God Bless you.

Comment from: Dotlen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

A few weeks ago I was on a walk and became short of breath in an odd way. I thought it was related to my asthma, which I haven't had that long. The shortness of breath continued for a week. I mentioned it to my therapist, who suggested I go to the ER. I was reluctant to do so, since I didn't feel sick, but I did make an appointment to see my doctor the next day. He sent me for a chest x-ray and some blood tests. That night I had a pain in my leg that felt like a cramp. The next morning, they called to say my D-dimer test, which should be between 0 and 600, was 3,000! They said I should go to the ER, and it was found that I had PE -a bunch of small clots in my lungs, and a big clot in my leg (DVT). I guess I won't ignore symptoms anymore. I had none of the risk factors for clots.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I had pain in my left breast bone and back. I was thinking maybe my bra was too tight. I was sweating a lot at night but, I was thinking early stages of menopause. I could feel something in the middle of my chest when I took a deep breath. I was unaware of the symptoms of PE. I still knew something wasn't right so I went to the ER. They ran test and admitted me to the hospital for 7 days. Watch your diet. I was feeling great then the nurse told me I could eat green vegetables. Every since, I have been feeling bad. I had my blood tested and it was a little low.

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Phlebitis
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Tell us your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow