Viewer Comments: Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung).

...
Comment from: LF, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

In January of this year, I suffered a pinched nerve in my back. It affected my right leg, which got numb and weak. I sat in my chair for the better part of 3 weeks, for I couldn't straighten my leg. I couldn't even sleep in my bed. I was stuck to my Lazy Boy pretty much for the duration. I decided on chiropractic care to relieve the nerve in my back. It worked, but I was still having problems with my knee. I still couldn't put any weight on it. Two weeks ago this past Monday I was working on a bathroom faucet, on my knees, moving around. Within an hour of this activity, I started to get short of breath. I thought it was a chest cold, so before that night, I took some cough medicine. The next day, I still felt a heaviness in my chest and the shortness of breath was worse, but I waited 2 days before I called anybody. That indecision almost killed me, for when my son came over to take me to the emergency room Thursday night, I was so weak and winded I couldn't leave the house. We called 911 and shortly thereafter found out I had pulmonary embolism in both lungs, about 6 clots in all, but it could have been worse. My medical team is pretty certain, that these clots came from that same right leg that was disabled some 2 months earlier. I've been home for a week, now wearing my medic alert necklace for warfarin, and taking it easy. Please don't procrastinate like I did. I have 5 grandchildren, and a wife of 36 years. They almost lost me because I waited to say anything.

Comment from: deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am a 54 year old woman and was hospitalized with a very large saddle pulmonary embolism last November. I had been very unwell with shortness of breath, palpitations, a terrible cough, and chest and back pain. I am on Xarelto for life and have suffered depression and anxiety. It's been a long and painful journey and my biggest fear is that the clot will recur.

Comment from: bwegley, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 20

Three years ago, I had weeks of gasping for air and dizziness. I was told by the general physician (GP) that I was anemic and given a prescription for ferrous sulfate. I took it as prescribed but the symptoms worsened. I was barely able to walk from one room to another without sitting down to catch my breath. When I visited my GP, he immediately admitted me to the hospital. I was anemic and several other tests were given. A cardiologist visited and ordered a CT scan and x-rays of my lungs. They were filled with blood clots and I'd had a minor heart attack from leaking around my heart. I was given heparin IV then injections of something of which I can't remember the name, and then put on 5 mg warfarin, given iron infusions and blood transfusions. After 4 days in the hospital, I was released and have been on 2 mg warfarin daily since then. During the past 3 years I have had 2 additional Iron infusions; the last one a year ago. The dizziness and shortness of breath is occurring again and getting worse. A blood test was taken and my CBT was 10; if the rest of the test shows no persistent anemia, I am to see the GP.

Comment from: Sara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I was recently diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary embolism (blood clot(s) in both lungs). I woke up one morning with severe right side rib pain. When I sat up in bed I was short of breath. I gradually got up and slowly moved around. The shortness of breath subsided but I had the severe pain. I took Advil and a hot bath. Eventually the rib pain subsided. Within the next few days my left calf felt achy and a hard sensation. One night I had a nagging feeling and headed to the emergency room. D-Dimer blood test, and CAT scan with contrast was done. I was diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary embolism. An internist decided to keep me overnight. I started blood thinners in the hospital (pills) and because my condition did not worsen, I was released the next day. The internist highly suspected my birth control pills as the cause. He wants to rule out other possible causes and will be sending me to a hematologist and echo cardiogram. I'm taking blood thinner pills too.

Comment from: JudeM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

Besides childbirth, the pain from the pulmonary embolism (PE) was the most unbearable I have ever experienced. I am 48 years old, a non-smoker and overall quite healthy. I have been very tired for the past few months and I noticed getting winded just going up 14 steps to the bedroom. I figured I was out of shape because I haven't been walking in the lousy weather. The pain woke me up out of my sleep about 1:30 in the morning. When I got out of bed the stabbing pain took me down to the floor and I couldn't breathe without horrible pain. I cried which made everything even worse. I thought it was a heart attack and figured this was the end. The pain was on my right side from my spine to my breast bone, my shoulder and down my arm. I drove to the emergency room (ER) the next day and they found the PE with a CT scan. I was immediately put on blood thinners and pain medications. I spent 2 and a half days in the hospital. I will be on blood thinners for 4 to 6 months. Bleeding is ridiculous. One little stab, and there was a puddle of blood. Very scary! This whole mess was due to birth control pills. If I knew then what I know now!

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pulmonary Embolism

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Phlebitis
Phlebitis Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein. Superficial phlebitis affects the veins on the surface of the skin. Deep vein thrombophlebitis affects the larger veins...learn more >>
Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Varicose veins are thought to be inherited in some people. Other caues of varicose veins include pregnancy, prolonged standing, obesity, straining (constipation...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pulmonary Embolism:

Pulmonary Embolism - Experience

Tell us your experience with pulmonary embolism.

Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot In The Lung) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your blood clots in the lung?

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow