Viewer Comments: Puncture Wound - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Puncture Wound:

Puncture Wound - Causes

What was the cause of your puncture wound?

Comment from: Shellie, Published: May 30

I stepped on a nail sticking out of a board hidden in tall grass. I had on cheap, plastic shoes. The nail went it and the wound bled profusely. I can't get into my doctor until Tuesday? Now, I can't walk and my entire leg hurts.

Comment from: Catlover, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 23

Our cat got excited and leapt off my wife's hand leaving a puncture wound, which had swollen to the size of a golf ball (purplish) within ten minutes.

Comment from: Mimi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I was digging a hole while gardening and stepped back onto a hoe rake which went through my sneaker into my foot. It was sticking out of my foot. Was able to get the rake out but did have lots of bleeding and multiple deep punctures in the sole and heel of my foot. I went to the ER. I had a tetanus shot and an X-ray. The doctor said it is extra important to go have an x ray because with a shoe on and object picture through can cause metal fragments to embed into foot or bone fragments to break off. On crutches and glad I went cause the throbbing and pain is crazy!!

I was bitten on forearm by grown parrot at pet shop two deep holes that seem closed already however redness and slightly swollen.

Comment from: 19-24 Male Published: February 02

I fell and had a #2 Phillips-head screwdriver puncture my left hand about an inch under the little finger. It went in at least two inches (from side to center palm). Amazingly there was only a burning sensation for the first 10 minutes. An hour after there is no pain only a little tender when I move my fingers. I think it will be ok, it did not bleed a lot and I have a current tetanus vaccine.

Comment from: concerned wife, 35-44 Male Published: December 27

My husband punctured his hand, palm side at base of thumb with scissors. Bleeding stopped quickly, but he is experiencing nerve pain and a lot of swelling.

Comment from: Deepika, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 13

Toothbrush. My daughter fell with the toothbrush inside her mouth and it pierced the back of her throat. Maybe a tablespoon or more Blood came out, but stopped soon after.

Comment from: pegleg, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

I was accidentally in the way of a dog fight and got bit in the shin.

Comment from: Jwarn, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I punctured the underside of the first joint of my index finger with a small screwdriver, and it immediately went completely numb and bled profusely. This occurred two days ago, and the tip of my finger is still very numb, but the really disturbing thing is that anything that comes in contact with the fingertip sends an electrifying jolt though the affected area. I believe I must have severed a nerve, and I also play guitar, banjo, and I really need that finger.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 12

My brother was helping a friend move his hot tub when he stepped on a four-inch nail piercing through his shoe and nearly all the way through his foot. The blood actually spurted out if his foot about five inches a few times but he was able to get it to stop. He goes for a tetanus shot and to see the doctor in the morning.

Comment from: mudbunny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I was gardening and the pruning shears slipped out of my hand and dropped on the top of my foot. It bled but stopped quite quickly. My foot is swollen and bruised.

Comment from: hthrehrlic@aol.com, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I tripped over a nail sticking up in bathroom floor. It appears to not have rust on it though. It did puncture my foot a little and my foot did bleed.

Must Read Articles Related to Puncture Wound

Finger Infection
Finger Infection Finger infections can be caused by a variety of bacteria and viruses. Types of finger infections include paronychia, felon, herpetic whitlow, cellulitis, infect...learn more >>
Tetanus
Tetanus Tetanus is an infectious disease caused by contamination of wounds from the bacteria Clostridium tetani, or the spores they produce that live in the soil, and a...learn more >>