Viewer Comments: Puncture Wound - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Puncture Wound:

Puncture Wound - Causes

What was the cause of your puncture wound?

Comment from: Ryan, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

After stepping on a nail, I went inside, got it clean and bandaged up. Then I had a wave of heat, dizziness and exhaustion. My vision was blurred and my hearing was poor.

Comment from: Ryan, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I was at a friend's house and stepped on a rusty nail. My shots are all up-to-date but i fear that there may be an infection. The bottom of my foot is hard and swollen so only my big toe touches the ground and around the puncture wound is slightly white and a little more swollen then the rest of my foot. Also the skin where the nail directly hit is a white-grey. I've cleaned it and put antibiotic cream on it but I'm still not sure.

Comment from: Raggedy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have multiple puncture wounds from my cat. I felt the cat's teeth in the knuckle joint of my index finger. It bit through the flesh side of the joint. I felt its teeth hit bone twice. It bled profusely. I got my tetanus shot and had the wounds cleaned. I am on a 10-day antibiotic. I can't feel the top of my finger and it looks crooked.

Comment from: Ouch, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

Stepping onto a rusty nail.

Comment from: Percy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I slightly step on a nail yesterday. It mostly went through the slipper that I was wearing. I got a small puncture and a little blood came out. You can barely see the puncture. The nail was in a piece of board on the ground from a house that is building.

Comment from: Marko3022, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I was stabbed in the knee with a box cutter.

Comment from: poseidon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had a very small flathead screwdriver for eyeglasses go into the inner arm about an inch after tripping over the cat. Direct pressure was applied for 10 minutes. The bleeding stopped, but the area is still sore.

Comment from: Joey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

A small metal crochet hook went through the meaty part of my thumb. I was able to easily remove the hook and stop the bleeding. There was very little pain. I washed the wound with soap and water, put on ointment and bandaged it. I am now icing my hand.

Comment from: Mom of 2 boys, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I stepped on a piece of glass in my living room (no clue how it got there). Sat on the sofa and caught the blood in my hands until a relative brought some paper towels. I held some on my foot for a few minutes until the bleeding was almost stopped then hopped into the bathroom to wash it (I used baby soap. Thought it might be gentler than regular soap). After I patted it dry and held a little more pressure on it I applied Neosporin and covered in with a gauze pad, a bandage and a sock. It happened last night, and this afternoon when I looked at it again it still seemed like it would bleed if I messed with it so I just put another gauze pad and bandage on. The glass went in about 3/8 inch deep. Trying to stay off my heel by walking on tip-toe with that foot but its making my ankle ache, as well as the ball of my foot. Hope it starts healing soon. I prefer not to see doctors unless I have to.

Comment from: Broodin, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

While on a deployment in Afghanistan I took a tactical knife to the thigh, punctured 5" deep and severed the femoral artery. In recovery now, took two surgeries and so am still having trouble walking with rehab... Watch them knives boys!

Comment from: Sicc559, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I accidentally got shot in the hand with a pellet gun. It immediately went numb and began to spurt out blood. This was five days ago. Now it's just a bit swollen. It doesn't really hurt, but I get this jolt whenever I move my hand too fast. I think I severed a nerve. I hope this goes away because I need my hand for basketball!

Must Read Articles Related to Puncture Wound

Finger Infection
Finger Infection Finger infections can be caused by a variety of bacteria and viruses. Types of finger infections include paronychia, felon, herpetic whitlow, cellulitis, infect...learn more >>
Tetanus
Tetanus Tetanus is an infectious disease caused by contamination of wounds from the bacteria Clostridium tetani, or the spores they produce that live in the soil, and a...learn more >>