Viewer Comments: Raynaud's Phenomenon - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Raynaud Phenomenon:

Raynaud's Phenomenon - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Raynaud's phenomenon.

Comment from: sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

My finger turn snow white run under warm water turn blue than red, very pain full only happens to fingers and feet, wear warm wool socks to bed every night even in the summer. Can be very painful.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was diagnosed with Raynaud's Phenomenon on 2/21/10 by a vascular surgeon in Colorado. I thought I was going to lose it but apparently I already did. I haven't had feeling to 5 of my fingers, 2 of my toes, the left side of my face and my lips for 3 months now. Initially, I waited for several weeks to see my primary doctor because I thought that every morning that I woke up, everything would be OK. I spent the 1st 6 weeks crawling on my knees to the bathroom. This is serious. I go to the Rheumatologist soon. I cross my fingers!

Comment from: Evelyn, 65-74 Female Published: February 16

Often, blood fails to reach the ends of my fingers and my toes.

Comment from: debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am 44 and have been suffering from Raynaud's since 2001. Unlike the other commenter's my Raynauld's does not trigger with cold. In fact we have been trying to figure out what triggers the attacks for years. Sometimes I trigger from chemical exposure (using bleach or another product 2 clean) or coloring a picture with the kids. My hands swell up and turn red, white or purple. I usually am woke up with it- and hot baths or showers help me a lot.

Comment from: charlie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I am 51, active and fit, no apparent diseases, and have experienced Reynaud's (phenomenon) for over 10 years. I experience it just about every time I handle something cold, like carrying frozen foods from the grocery store, or when I am slightly chilled. On the other hand, I can go for a run with no gloves in below freezing weather and my hands will be fine. My fingers look exactly like your photos describe when it happens. I can accelerate the restoration of circulation by soaking my hands in warm water. I have discussed this with my physician and owing to the fairly minor severity he doesn't suggest any treatment. What a stupid way for my circulatory system to behave!

Comment from: AlwaysHopeful, Female Published: October 11

I am a 25 year old female who has been suffering with Reynaud's phenomenon for over two years. After I was diagnosed with this, I quickly found out I had lupus as well. It's the worst feeling ever! My fingers and toes would lose feeling and turn white then purple if the temperature is cold. I am constantly in pain when the tips of my fingers turn gangrene. This happens usually in the fall and winter when it is cold. This can also be caused if my finger is cut or hit slightly. Most people do not realize how hard and painful Reynaud's can be. I have quickly realized how much we use our hands for everything we do. I have been checking to see if anyone is working to find a cure but I am not successful. It seems no studies are being done and it makes me sad due to the fact that this is such a serious problem. The only thing my doctor can say is keep warm.

Must Read Articles Related to Raynaud Phenomenon

Cold Hands and Feet
Cold Hands and Feet When your hands or feet (and sometimes other parts of the body, especially your ears and nose) get too cold, they can be injured or react in different ways. Sym...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Raynaud Phenomenon:

Raynaud's Phenomenon - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Raynaud's phenomenon?

Raynaud's Phenomenon Pregnancy - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Raynaud's phenomenon?