Viewer Comments: Rectal Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rectal Cancer:

Rectal Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with rectal cancer?

Published: June 10

Before I was actually diagnosed with rectal cancer, I experienced rectal bleeding and irregular bowel movements.

Comment from: Vern, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I had no pain or symptoms of any kind until one day I stood up from going to the toilet and the bowl was full of blood. I knew it was time to go to my doctor. I hoped that it was the world's worst case of hemorrhoids, but I had a feeling that it was far beyond that. Now four years of treatments, radiation, two rounds of chemo and four surgeries later, I am still here. My fear of having a colonoscopy was my worst enemy. As it turned out the test was nothing, and not having it done sooner was my biggest mistake ever. I advise everyone to be tested. Don't make my mistake.

Comment from: thedarkman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

The first symptom and in fact the only symptom for a long time was a small amount of blood in the stool. The doctor thought I had a bleeding hemorrhoid. This was followed by dark red blood showing up in the stool and also free of stool bleeding. Blood tests were negative for cancer even the day before surgery. I also had loose bowel movements about 18 months after the first symptom. Was informed by family doctor that I did not have cancer, when symptoms did not subside with his treatment I saw a specialist. It was then I was informed I had rectal/colon cancer (stage two) cancer had penetrated the colon wall but had not spread to the lymph nodes. I did not experience pain or cramps but an increase in bloating/gas pressure. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Dtum1951@aol.com, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had blood in my stools and I noticed that my stools were very narrow (pencil like). I had NO pain whatsoever and decided to have a colonscopy just to be sure and it showed a 15cm growth. I will be starting chemo and radiation next week.

Comment from: rena, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 08

My mother experienced pain, thin stools and the feeling that she wasn't emptying herself.

Must Read Articles Related to Rectal Cancer

Colon Cancer
Colon Cancer The human colon is a muscular, tube-shaped organ measuring about 4 feet long. It extends from the end of your small bowel to your anus, twisting and turning thr...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rectal Cancer:

Rectal Cancer - Treatment

What was the treatment for your rectal cancer?