Rectal Pain (cont.)
What home remedies help soothe rectal pain?
- Hemorrhoids: The following treatments can help lessen the discomfort of a painful hemorrhoid.
- Sit in a tub of very warm water (not hot enough to scald) for 20 minutes several times a day.
- Apply over-the-counter hemorrhoid creams, especially those containing
hydrocortisone. If the person has diabetes, check with your health care practitioner as some hemorrhoid creams interact with some diabetes medications.
- Take stool softeners and extra fiber to lessen pain with bowel movements.
- Anal fissures: These home treatments will promote healing of anal fissures.
- Sit in a tub of hot water for 20 minutes, three times a day, to reduce pain and help healing.
- Eat a high-fiber diet and use stool softeners to make bowel movements less painful.
- Apply hydrocortisone cream to decrease pain.
- Proctalgia fugax: Because the pain lasts briefly, there is no treatment that will stop an attack of proctalgia fugax.
- Levator ani syndrome: The patient can help stop an attack of levator ani syndrome with the following techniques.
- Sit in a tub of hot water.
- Massage the levator ani muscles to relieve the muscle spasm.
- Take over-the-counter, anti-inflammatory medications such as
For specific home and medical treatments for underlying causes such as prostate problems or colon cancers, the reader should consider reviewing those problems as this article is mainly about rectal sources of rectal pain.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/19/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Rectal Pain
Anal abscesses include perirectal abscess and perianal abscess. Both types of abscesses need immediate medical attention. Causes of anal abscesses include indiv...learn more >>
Anal fissures are small tears in the skin overlying the anus. Anal fissures are generally caused by constipation, or straining with a bowel movement. Symptoms o...learn more >>
Constipation in Adults
Constipation in adults refers to difficulty in passing stools or a decrease in the frequency of bowel movements. Causes of learn more >>