Rectal Prolapse (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
Rectal Prolapse Causes
Rectal prolapse is caused by weakening of the ligaments and muscles that hold the rectum in place. In most people with a prolapsed rectum, the anal sphincter muscle is weak. The exact cause of this weakening is unknown; however, rectal prolapse is usually associated with the following conditions:
Long-term hemorrhoidal disease is frequently associated with mucosal prolapse thatdoes not progress to complete rectal prolapse.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 7/30/2015
George Lazarou, MD, FACOG
Simmy Bank, MD, MB, ChB
Mary L Windle, PharmD
BS Anand, MD
- Should You Have Surgery?
- Understand Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication