Viewer Comments: Removing Stitches - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Removing Stitches:

Removing Stitches - Experience

How was your experience having your stitches removed?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had stitches removed from my left forefinger after a wide cut with scissors. The removal was extremely painful! I hope to never experience it again.

Comment from: pshire, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I recently had stitches removed and the procedure was quite painful. No numbing agent was used. The doctor cut the stitches and pulled them out. The site felt less pressure once the stitches were removed.

Comment from: LOCHFYNE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was told that there would be no pain in removing five stitches. The reason I had them is because a dermatologist removed a mole on my arm. The biopsy of the mole had revealed atypical cells, hence the removal. I was disappointed that it wasn't the dermatologist who removed the stitches. Instead, it was a really young girl, presumably a nurse. Two stitches were painful when she removed them. She didn't believe me, however, and simply said that I had a low pain threshold! She even told me that NOBODY has pain getting stitches out. AND, that I was thinking too much about it. I will not return to this dermatologist. As for low pain threshold, I didn't even take pain medication after the mole had been removed.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

Suture removal from my breast augmentation and tummy tuck were horribly painful.

Comment from: Hurting Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

My experience was nightmarish and had to be rescheduled to come back three days later because the pain was so intense. I was also told to soak the foot with the stitches in in with warm water to soften the area. I'm really worried because I was hoping to return to work soon.

Comment from: guinea pig, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have a high pain tolerance but when the stitches and 3 pins were removed from my foot 1 month after hammer toe surgery the pain was off the charts and threw my body into trauma. No anesthetic was used. I still have two pins in my toe that have yet to be removed and my anxiety level is extreme. I am calling the doctor today to make sure that I am not put through anymore barbaric procedures.

Must Read Articles Related to Removing Stitches

Suture Care
Suture Care Sutures, or stitches, are the most commonly used method to fix a cut or wound. Other methods are skin adhesives or glue, Steri-Strips or butterfly bandages, or ...learn more >>