Viewer Comments: Removing Stitches - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Removing Stitches:

Removing Stitches - Experience

How was your experience having your stitches removed?

Comment from: mjackson501, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I had an accidental cut on the tip of my finger that required 5 stitches. Let me just say whoever said the removal of them is painless must have not ever had them. I have a very high pain level tolerance and the numbing shots even take an unusually high amount to work for me. It took 8 shots just to numb the finger tip for her to initially clean, reattach, and close my wound. When they took them out it seemed like it had some numbness in it as I could barely feel the girl cleaning it. Boy, was I wrong! I was squirming around in pain every time she clipped one. They said it was because there are so many nerves in the affected area. But I imagine it would be just as painful anywhere else. I will say though that as soon as it was done I had a lot less pain than I did before she even started to remove them.

Comment from: Eileen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I went to have stitches removed from upper and lower eye lid surgery. The nurse got 2 taken on one eye and as I found it unbearably painful she went to the other eye and removed one. I felt myself getting hotter and hotter and thought that I was going to faint. I had to walk out as I could not tolerate it and feeling very weak and faint with about 40 more stitches in total to take out. I don't know what to do I am so nervous.

Comment from: joan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had approximately 25 stitches removed after wrist surgery to remove a cyst. Twenty of them didn't hurt, but the other five, the pain was the worst I have ever felt. Now I still get that horrible pain in my wrist even if I'm not moving it. I don't understand.

Comment from: umran, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I have had stitches to close a wound injury to a deep cut in my thumb. It was very nasty, I could see straight through to the inside of my cut. I have a scar left for a long time I want to remove the scar.

Comment from: Made4U2Wonder, Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I was in such pain getting my pins removed from hammer toe and bunion surgery that the doctor wouldn't remove my stitches. Instead he gave me a prescription for valium and rescheduled me for another day. I can't believe they remove the pins routine without a shot of something. I begged and pleaded after the first pin. But he proceeded to remove all 3 as I screamed.

Comment from: gallus, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I too had the super extreme level of pain reported by the other writers in this thread. After hand surgery, all stitches but one were removed with not much pain. The last one was at a level of pain that was so horrific that I could not tolerate the stitch even being touched. What bothers me most is that everyone behaves as if this is unheard of. But there must be an explanation, and surely there must be a way of dealing with the problem. Even on this page, nobody has spoken up to explain what is happening and what to do about it.

Comment from: missybrat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I had carpal and cubital tunnel surgery. I did not have pain from the surgery until they took the stitches out. I have never had that kind of pain. There was no numbing agent used. If you have to have stitches taken out, I would suggest either: 1. Ask for a sedative or 2. Ask for the area to be numbed.

Comment from: jvcarey, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

Currently I am having stiches removed from the sole of my foot. I week go, 8 were removed, I cried like a big baby, the experience was extremely painful. Today I went back and he was about to remove the rest and I said no. So we are scheduled to remove them in 2 weeks, I am going to take oral sedation first.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had stitches removed from my left forefinger after a wide cut with scissors. The removal was extremely painful! I hope to never experience it again.

Comment from: pshire, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I recently had stitches removed and the procedure was quite painful. No numbing agent was used. The doctor cut the stitches and pulled them out. The site felt less pressure once the stitches were removed.

Must Read Articles Related to Removing Stitches

Suture Care
Suture Care Sutures, or stitches, are the most commonly used method to fix a cut or wound. Other methods are skin adhesives or glue, Steri-Strips or butterfly bandages, or ...learn more >>