Viewer Comments: Renal Cell Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Renal Cell Cancer:

Renal Cell Cancer - Symptoms

The symptoms of renal cell cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Mdawe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I had blood in my urine and had an ultrasound done which showed a renal mass. A following CT scan showed that I have a tumor of my left kidney, so I had the kidney removed on 12.2.2009. So far, so good, but it's probably too early to tell. The doctor said my lymph bodes were clear. I will have a follow-up CT scan every six months for a while.

Comment from: Dolabill, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I was 48 years old when my renal cell carcinoma was discovered. I had blood in urine, fatigue, severe lower back pain. Another unusual symptom that occurred about 6 months before discovery was tremors of the hands, and muscular neuropathy (severe pain on the outside of arm and leg). A CT scan confirmed the tumor, 14 centimeters. The tumor and kidney were removed. I am 18 months since the operation, and am doing very well.

Comment from: Nurse2010, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 06

My aunt was diagnosed with stage IV renal cell cancer in August of 2008 at the age of 39. After having her kidney removed, she went through a series of treatments including radiation. Her team of doctors decided it would be in her best interest to try a new form of immunotherapy called Interleukin. Her doctors were quite optomistic and felt really good about her response to the treatment; while some CT scans showed several lesions that appeared on her lungs, they were confident that they had it under control. Soon the cancer foundo its way to her bones. She had surgery on both femurs to stablize fractures caused by lesions. This was then followed by more radiation and chemo pills. It then traveled to her spine and threatened to paralyze her if it grew too large. The lymph nodes in her neck also became infected and often became enlarged and hardened. Again, her doctors treated these lesions with more radiation and chemo. Up until about seven weeks ago, her doctors were still so optimistic about her treatment and told her she "had nothing to worry about." Seven weeks ago, I would have never though my aunt would be closing in on her last days. She was making progress with physical therapy and looked phenominal. Practically over night the masses in her neck swelled so severly that she could no longer eat and swallow. So quickly, everything spiraled out of control. My aunt fought like hell for a year and lived to see her 40th birthday. Three days later, on August 14th, she lost her battle with cancer.

Comment from: SueMc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

My RCC was discovered by chance. I had been feeling tired and bloated. My mum had ovarian cancer approx 10 years earlier and the Doctor just thought he'd be cautious and do a C/T scan. Low and behold, there it was on my Right kidney! It was the size of an egg. That was 7 years ago and no recurrence to date!

Comment from: redone, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 10

My husband, 55, finally went to see his doctor after experiencing terrible pain in back on the lower right side, and in his left side. Also just felt very tired. He attributed it all to being a busy father and he owns a business, mows, plays golf etc. Two months later after CT revealed two masses, and a biopsy, he's been diagnosed with RCC. It's Stage IV because many distant lymph nodes are affected. The Dr. said that "there's obviously been something going on for 2 or 3 years". Looking back, he can remember when symptoms began but just thought he was old & out of shape. He has just started Round 2 of Stunt (growth inhibitor). Surgery not an option - too many lymph nodes involved. Hoping for some shrinkage, but Dr. has told him he can't be cured. Good luck to you.

Comment from: toothfairy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am a 53 year old female. I had been experiencing back pain for 2-3 yrs and assumed it was job related (dental assisting for 35+ yrs). When I decided to seek treatment for my back the tumor was revealed on an MRI. An immediate CT was performed and a partial nephrectomy of my right kidney was performed. 3 weeks later I had an extensive spinal fusion. Not a fun summer!!! I saw my specialist today for my first 6 month CT follow-up and am so very thankful for a clean report.

Must Read Articles Related to Renal Cell Cancer

Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Renal Cell Cancer:

Renal Cell Cancer - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your renal cell cancer?