Viewer Comments: Renal Cell Cancer - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Renal Cell Cancer:

Renal Cell Cancer - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your renal cell cancer?

Comment from: classywoman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I'm 59, On March 29, 2011, I had finish my workout at the gym. I went to wash my hands and use the bathroom. I looked down in the toilet and it was full of blood. I rush myself to the hospital to ER room. They asked for a urine specimen, however when the test came back my specimen was all blood no urine. ER did a CT Scan and found a Mass on my Right Kidney and Bladder. Seven days later had an operation on the bladder to remove old blood clots (no Mass). But my Right Kidney had to be removed. I was diagnosis with Renal Mass Carcinoma Cell. It has been five months since I had my surgery and I Thank God every day for another day and chance at life.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I was 49 years old when I was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma. Had a CT to rule out diverticulitis. Instead a spot was found in my left kidney. It was caught very early so only a portion of my kidney needed to be removed. I thank God every day for allowing this to be found. I work in oncology so this has made it possible for me to connect more closely with the patients.

Comment from: twilcox, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma November 2012. I had a partial nephrectomy on the left kidney in January 2013. It is now December 2013. I am as of today cancer free! I have tests every 6 months for the next 2 years. My doctor told me that kidney cancer likes to go to the chest. I continue to stay positive, exercise, and eat right. I have had some symptoms lately that worry me. My next round of tests should be in February. I will continue to pray all is well.

Comment from: websmice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

Mine was found through exams for shoulder pain due to auto accident. My left kidney was surgically removed 10 years ago and to this day all tests indicate that I am still cancer free. There were 5 tumors in my kidney and I am trying to get the classification correctly through this site but yet to no avail. I know they were classified at the highest rating.

Comment from: 55-64 Male Published: August 15

I was lucky ER found two tumors in my left kidney when I thought I was having a heart attack! It's been two years since I had surgery to remove melange tumors before they spread.

Comment from: tamfowler, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I am 43 years old. I recently started a weight loss program and while at the gym one day became very ill. I felt as if I would pass out and then became so ill I went to the doctor. He thought it was an appendicitis attack. The CT scan showed a mass on my right kidney. I was diagnosed later that day with stage 2 renal cell carcinoma. I feel tired, nauseated, am in pain. I will have surgery later this month. I will go in this week to have a scope done and a stint to help the kidney drain. I thank God for a good primary doctor who took me seriously and didn't send me home thinking I had a virus or something. It was good to read that most people feel good after surgery. Some days I can't even go to work. I can't wait until surgery!

Comment from: Lainey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I was 33 when I was diagnosed in July 2001 with renal cell carcinoma stage 1, my left kidney was removed on August 28, 2001 and I have been cancer free for nearly 10 yrs =). My symptoms were not painful. Every time after I ate I had a weird "hunger" feeling at the top of my stomach like I hadn't eaten. My blood and urine test always came back normal. I was being treated for acid reflux (GERD), and was given Prilosec, which made me feel better. Then, during my follow up with the doctor I had asked how long I would have to take this medication. When he said forever I wanted a second opinion, which I believe saved my life because the urologist ordered a renal ultra sound that showed I had something, and a ordered a CT scan which confirmed a mass. So thankful that I asked for a second opinion and was given a second chance at life!

Comment from: linrob3824, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I was 51 in 1994 when diagnosed with Renal CA, following a painful kidney infection with blood in my urine. A CT scan showed a renal CA tumor and I was given an IT nephrectomy. Now, 17 years later, a lesion was found on my right kidney, and nodules in my lungs. My treatment is now being decided and at 68, I am grateful for the time I spent since 1994. I am hoping for another miracle.

Must Read Articles Related to Renal Cell Cancer

Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Renal Cell Cancer:

Renal Cell Cancer - Symptoms

The symptoms of renal cell cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?