Viewer Comments: Rheumatic Fever - Long-Term Effects

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rheumatic Fever:

Rheumatic Fever - Long-Term Effects

Have you experienced any long-term effects from rheumatic fever?

Comment from: Bless, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I was hospitalized at the age of 4 with the rheumatic fever. I was treated but do not know with what, only that my hair was shaved. Sometimes I get a flutter and wonder if that could be caused by my earlier illness.

Comment from: Kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

When I was 11 years old, I had strep throat that was not properly treated. I was terribly sick for the entire summer. Today I was told by my doctor that I had a murmur and she is ordering an echocardiogram. I guess I had rheumatic fever. We'll see what happens and what the damage is.

Must Read Articles Related to Rheumatic Fever

Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>
Fever in Children
Fever in Children Fever is defined as a rectal temperature over 100.4 F or 38 C. Fever isn't life-threatening unless it is persistently high -- greater than a 107 F rectal temper...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rheumatic Fever:

Rheumatic Fever - Treatment

How was your rheumatic fever treated?

Rheumatic Fever - Symptoms and Signs

What were your rheumatic fever symptoms and signs?