Viewer Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rheumatoid Arthritis:

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms

The symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Leticia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

My RA was difficult for doctors to diagnose. My initial symptoms were tingling in my hands, and frequent bruising, and by the time it was diagnosed I was having a hard time walking. I'm 20 years old.

Comment from: G. Dallas, 0-2 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

Rheumatoid arthritis is a severe, multi-system, and inflammation related autoimmune condition that could trigger an attack to the joints. It is an extremely severe and hurtful condition that can cause loss of mobility due to the pain and joint damage.

Comment from: marybernie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Started with pain in left shoulder which they told me was a "frozen shoulder". Pains then started in right wrist and I started feeling very tired and generally ill. In July my right knee flared up and my doctor told me to lose weight and just gave me pain killers. After 6 weeks of excruciating pain I found my own consultant. In September I was put on 25mg a week of methotrexate which has now pushed the RA back into remission. However the side effects of this drug are horrible but I guess the benefits of the drug outweigh the side effects. I'm now back working again full time although I do get extremely tired.

Comment from: Cristinaa , (;, Female (Patient) Published: January 19

At the onset of my RA, I had swelling in my joints and pain in my hands.

Comment from: Mississippi Lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am 46 year old female, diagnosed with RA a week ago. I've been having these pains in my feet for over a year or so, but I went to foot doctor and he told me it was plantar fasciitis. Later I started having pains one wrist and then the pain jumped to the other and then it went down to my small finger. I was thinking maybe it was carpal tunnel, but now I see all these pains were coming from RA. I usually go to the gym and work out but sometimes the pains had gotten so severe I had to slow up.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with RA when I was 24 years old, and will be celebrating my 61st soon. I was very ill when diagnosed. I suffered weight loss, fatigue, achy joints and muscles. I also had just had my second child and never stopped post-natal bleeding for about 4 months. I was anemic and could hardly motivate myself to do anything. Over the years I have had three major flares that have really put me out of commission, but always went into remission. My last major flare was alarming - vomiting, malaise, low-grade fevers, heart racing. My doctor put me on methotrexate, the maximum dose per week; folic acid and Enbrel. Enbrel has changed my life! I hate giving myself the injections, but my quality of life has improved significantly. I can see my knuckles for the first time in many years! I do worry a little about the side effects, but so far my only problem has been slight anemia. I will continue with the methotrexate and Enbrel as long as it keeps working for me.

Comment from: captain cooper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

My earliest symptoms were profound fatigue after any exertion, muscle weakness, intermittent low grade fever, loss of strength in my arms and hands, and general malaise.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I turned 40 this year and I was just diagnosed (blood test) with RA. I have been complaining for about two years of extreme fatigue and pain that worsened when I tried to lay down to sleep, and occasional fever. I just found out today that I Have RA. Need to see a Rheumatologist ASAP and am in the process of being referred to a specialist. I am also a full-time student pursuing my RN degree (Registered Nurse). Hopefully I was diagnosed in time so as to effectively manage the symptoms. Hopefully, I will be able to do what I have always wanted to do - be a nurse.

Comment from: oldie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

My fingers are getting very crooked and swollen and stiff. I am very tired and people always ask why I sound like I am out of breath. Also, my neck has been hurting for about three months.

Must Read Articles Related to Rheumatoid Arthritis

Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
Iritis
Iritis The iris is a circular, pigmented membrane that provides the eye its color and forms the pupil of the eye. The iris is made up of muscular fibers that control ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rheumatoid Arthritis:

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Medications

What medications have been effective at treating your rheumatoid arthritis?