Viewer Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rheumatoid Arthritis:

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms

The symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Babs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

At 40 years old, I woke up one morning and could not move my hands. The pain was intense. The urgent care physician immediately knew it was RA. That was 11 years ago. However, for about 7- 10 years prior, I would have bouts of bilateral wrist pain which needed splinting, and pain on the foot between the large and second toe. My main complaint then and now is exhaustion, fatigue and mental fog. That has not improved despite successful management of the joint pain/stiffness. I continue to work fulltime and have no deformities of the joints, but was treated aggressively from the onset. Good luck to those recently diagnosed. It takes trial and error to find the right medication or combination of medications, but once found they work very well. I hope this information helps someone.

Comment from: Kruizer, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I'm a 42 year old male and I was diagnosed 6 months ago with rheumatoid arthritis. I take 6 pills a day. I also take folic acid daily, ibuprofen and prednisone as needed. My swelling has stopped, but I'm often fatigued, have little to no appetite, and have a feeling of malaise (just generally don't feel well). Also I find I don't take stress very well (makes me tired and depressed). My major onset symptoms were dramatic joint swelling and tenderness (inability to open doors, zip my pants, etc). I'm somewhat typical in the fact that my pain is usually not bilateral, I only have one joint at a time affected. The disease seems to live in my hips, and sometimes affects my smaller joints (toes, fingers, wrists and such).

Related Reading: ibuprofen

Comment from: shanki, 45-54 Female Published: February 08

I tested positive for the RA factor 12 years ago. I am now 46, and am not sure if I was diagnosed properly. I do have stiffness in my hips, wrists, ankles and fingers and toes, but I have no swelling, redness, or any other outward signs. I don't know whether to mention the increase in symptoms. I feel I may be wasting the doctor's time.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I was diagnosed with RA three weeks ago. I'm 24. All the women on my mother side have it. I always had a small amount of arthritis just from "killing" myself playing several sports as a kid and young adult. However when I got the flu in October, I never got better. I had continual aches. I had a hard time grasping objects, my hands are the worst. I finally went to the doctor where he ran test after test, just trying NOT to diagnose RA. However, that wasn't the case. We are trying everything that doesn't include medication, because I'm so young. Hopefully we can come up with something, if not medication it is. But every day is a different challenge. It will never get better, but its "nice" to have days that I can move and be a normal person.

Comment from: NJpatient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was diagnosed with RA in 4 months ago. Over a year before the diagnosis I was experiencing pain in my knees, wrists, and elbows. I stopped all exercising that impacted those joints and ALL the pain disappeared completely. I really went to the doctor because I could not exercise in any sport and started having mild swelling in my hands and elbows. My RA doctor prescribed a generic medication. The first two months I was on it, the RA was in remission (but I didn't realize it) and I had no symptoms at all. These last 2 months the disease kicked in full blown - happened overnight. One day, I was perfectly fine. The next day, I was in terrible pain.

Comment from: TexasLady, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I was diagnosed with RA when I turned 40...Happy Birthday to Me...This took me by surprise – I was well one day and then next day I could hardly get out of bed. I was hurting so bad, my hands and my feet were so swollen and I could hardly take a step without pain. I continued that way for about a week then went to see my primary physician and he referred me over to a RA doctor. And sure enough It was confirmed, I had RA....it was a devastating blow to me. I sat there in the doctor's office and cried my eyes out and luckily my doctor took time and explained everything to me and immediately put me on methotrexate and prednisone. Luckily my RA was barely starting, and yeah there are days that are very bad, especially for a person who is used to doing everything and anything....and then there are the good days, I really enjoy those days. I had never heard of RA before I was diagnosed with it and now I read up on it as much as I can.

Comment from: NancyVi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I was diagnosed with RA one month ago and have been on prednisone and hydroxychloroquine for three weeks. I am in constant pain and the pain sites move from day to day. I am 62 and feel 92. The doctor says it may take months to feel relief but I am getting worse by the day. See him in two weeks and hope for some better meds… Oh and I live on pain pills, ugh.

Must Read Articles Related to Rheumatoid Arthritis

Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
Iritis
Iritis The iris is a circular, pigmented membrane that provides the eye its color and forms the pupil of the eye. The iris is made up of muscular fibers that control ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rheumatoid Arthritis:

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your rheumatoid arthritis?

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Medications

What medications have been effective at treating your rheumatoid arthritis?