Viewer Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA):

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms and Signs

The symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: TexasLady, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I was diagnosed with RA when I turned 40...Happy Birthday to Me...This took me by surprise – I was well one day and then next day I could hardly get out of bed. I was hurting so bad, my hands and my feet were so swollen and I could hardly take a step without pain. I continued that way for about a week then went to see my primary physician and he referred me over to a RA doctor. And sure enough It was confirmed, I had RA....it was a devastating blow to me. I sat there in the doctor's office and cried my eyes out and luckily my doctor took time and explained everything to me and immediately put me on methotrexate and prednisone. Luckily my RA was barely starting, and yeah there are days that are very bad, especially for a person who is used to doing everything and anything....and then there are the good days, I really enjoy those days. I had never heard of RA before I was diagnosed with it and now I read up on it as much as I can.

Comment from: NancyVi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I was diagnosed with RA one month ago and have been on prednisone and hydroxychloroquine for three weeks. I am in constant pain and the pain sites move from day to day. I am 62 and feel 92. The doctor says it may take months to feel relief but I am getting worse by the day. See him in two weeks and hope for some better meds… Oh and I live on pain pills, ugh.

Comment from: Alex, Published: October 07

One must not overlook the effectiveness and safe use of natural therapies in management of Arthritis and RA. Biotechnology, resonance homeopathy and Ayurvedic Herbs offer comprehensive relief from the complaints. They strengthen muscles, ligaments and cartilages, reduce pain and inflammation, and create better flexibility.

Comment from: Barbara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

i was diagnosed with RA almost 1yr ago. I am a 53 year old female. I am on methotrexate - 6 pills once a week and prednisone 10ml once daily. I am finally feeling the difference, I am not stiff when I get out of bed and I can walk without being so stiff with pain. Still have some bad days where I will hurt all over if I do too much, and it doesn't take much! I take a lot of Ibuprofen (probably too much), but they work. My RA factor was 25 about 6mo.ago and now it is 17.

Comment from: Lily, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I get swollen, painful hands the day following increased activity. Usually my right hand was worse than my left. Some days my puffy right hand looked as if I was wearing an inflated glove. Now this makes sense due to my right hand dominance.

Comment from: Holly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I was diagnosed when I was 22. It started with a pain in my left foot. I am a server and thought I needed new shoes, but the pain would not go away. I waited a year before I finally went to have it looked at. They did an x-rays and found erosion of the bone in two of my toes. I was sent to my doctor to start testing. I had no other symptoms (other than fatigue) until the winter of that year when I fell and hurt my wrist. The pain in my wrist did not go away and seemed to spread though out my other joints. Both feet, ankles, toes, wrists and knees were all in severe pain until I could no longer walk and I was finally diagnosed with RA.

Comment from: Georgie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

My symptoms came on gradually over time (possible a year or two) numbness in my hands and feet. Pain in my hands in particular -- trouble writing. My son, a medical student at the time told me to see a Rheumatologist, which I did. Diagnosis was RA. He put me on a number of medicines each one either stopped working or caused side effects I couldn't live with (like huge sores in my mouth from Methotrexate.) I am on Cimbia right now and Medrol.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

When I found out that I had RA, my symptoms were sore feet every morning and two swollen or painful joints in my hands.

Must Read Articles Related to Rheumatoid Arthritis

Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
Iritis
Iritis Iritis, or anterior uveitis, is an inflammation on the front part of the eye called the iris, which is the colored part of the eye that opens and closes the pup...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA):

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your rheumatoid arthritis?

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Medications

What medications have been effective at treating your rheumatoid arthritis?

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) - Diet

Have you made dietary changes that have improved your RA symptoms and signs? If so, please describe these changes.