Viewer Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rheumatoid Arthritis:

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms

The symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Alex, Published: October 07

One must not overlook the effectiveness and safe use of natural therapies in management of Arthritis and RA. Biotechnology, resonance homeopathy and Ayurvedic Herbs offer comprehensive relief from the complaints. They strengthen muscles, ligaments and cartilages, reduce pain and inflammation, and create better flexibility.

Comment from: Barbara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

i was diagnosed with RA almost 1yr ago. I am a 53 year old female. I am on methotrexate - 6 pills once a week and prednisone 10ml once daily. I am finally feeling the difference, I am not stiff when I get out of bed and I can walk without being so stiff with pain. Still have some bad days where I will hurt all over if I do too much, and it doesn't take much! I take a lot of Ibuprofen (probably too much), but they work. My RA factor was 25 about 6mo.ago and now it is 17.

Comment from: Lily, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I get swollen, painful hands the day following increased activity. Usually my right hand was worse than my left. Some days my puffy right hand looked as if I was wearing an inflated glove. Now this makes sense due to my right hand dominance.

Comment from: Holly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I was diagnosed when I was 22. It started with a pain in my left foot. I am a server and thought I needed new shoes, but the pain would not go away. I waited a year before I finally went to have it looked at. They did an x-rays and found erosion of the bone in two of my toes. I was sent to my doctor to start testing. I had no other symptoms (other than fatigue) until the winter of that year when I fell and hurt my wrist. The pain in my wrist did not go away and seemed to spread though out my other joints. Both feet, ankles, toes, wrists and knees were all in severe pain until I could no longer walk and I was finally diagnosed with RA.

Comment from: Georgie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

My symptoms came on gradually over time (possible a year or two) numbness in my hands and feet. Pain in my hands in particular -- trouble writing. My son, a medical student at the time told me to see a Rheumatologist, which I did. Diagnosis was RA. He put me on a number of medicines each one either stopped working or caused side effects I couldn't live with (like huge sores in my mouth from Methotrexate.) I am on Cimbia right now and Medrol.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

When I found out that I had RA, my symptoms were sore feet every morning and two swollen or painful joints in my hands.

Must Read Articles Related to Rheumatoid Arthritis

Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
Iritis
Iritis The iris is a circular, pigmented membrane that provides the eye its color and forms the pupil of the eye. The iris is made up of muscular fibers that control ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rheumatoid Arthritis:

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your rheumatoid arthritis?

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Medications

What medications have been effective at treating your rheumatoid arthritis?