Viewer Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA):

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your rheumatoid arthritis?

Comment from: lseibel64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

Enbrel has made a significant difference in my symptoms. It extremely reduced fatigue and decreased pain and swelling.

Comment from: Angelique, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

No medicines have worked for me. I have experienced whatever side effects I was warned about. The only treatment that has been successful has been the taking of steroids (prednisone) maintenance dosage of 2 in the am with breakfast but then I will awake in the morning with lots of pain until the next dose. I now take 2 as usual with breakfast and one at night with dinner and have been pain-free period for more than 2 months. I have regular blood tests and do not experience any of the side effects from taking steroids. Thank God this works for me. I feel great! p.s. Every time I have been taken off this medication, I am almost bed-ridden and riddled with pain. Prednisone is definitely the most effective treatment for me and the only one which works. I've been taking it for about 25 years.

Comment from: Holistic approach, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I was diagnosed at 37 with RA. I am now 60. In the beginning I used NSAIDS, but only when I really needed to. My mother was diagnosed with RA when I was 14 and she tried gold treatments, got hooked on prednisone and it destroyed her bones. It causes the adrenals to stop working. She was also methotrexate which seemed to stop working after 30 years. I did not want to go the route my mother went. I am not willing to use methotrexate for damage to the liver. I am allergic to sulfanamides. The research I have done on new treatments has not made me want to use them because of the way it affects the immune system. I am around children all of the time and don't want to take the chance of various infections. I have tried homeopathy (expensive, am a huge proponent of acupuncture, but what I have found helps the most is cymbalta and omega 3's. I buy good quality 2:1 omegas. I tried a less expensive brand for a month and the pain came back. The cymbalta helps because constant pain causes depression and depression causes pain, at least in my case. I have never missed a day of work due to this disease and I don't intend to let it rule my life. I seem to have more pain at night especially during spring and autumn. My RA count is 512.

Must Read Articles Related to Rheumatoid Arthritis

Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
Iritis
Iritis Iritis, or anterior uveitis, is an inflammation on the front part of the eye called the iris, which is the colored part of the eye that opens and closes the pup...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA):

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Medications

What medications have been effective at treating your rheumatoid arthritis?

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms and Signs

The symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) - Diet

Have you made dietary changes that have improved your RA symptoms and signs? If so, please describe these changes.