Viewer Comments: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA):

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your rheumatoid arthritis?

Comment from: Sandi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I first lost my ability to stand up from a sitting position due to total body weakness. The physician I saw that same week ran a blood test and told me it appeared to be rheumatoid arthritis (RA). The arthritis specialty office would not see me for 3 months to see if the diagnosis was real. It's been 8 years now and every month I receive an infusion named Orencia, a biologic, that keeps me functioning at my normal level with very few flare ups. This physician specializes in RA and I have two friends who have been treated by him for 30 plus years. He's very dedicated and knowledgeable. Thank you doctor.

Comment from: Andrea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

My pain doctor wanted me to try sports physical therapy for my back rheumatoid arthritis (RA) before starting shots or medication. I began deep tissue massage, electrical stimulation, and skin scraping over the affected areas. The scraping was almost unbearable at first; but it's been a couple of months and it's now mainly annoying. The daily pain is almost gone. They say the fluids have begun circulating back in the area, allowing the RA to heal itself. I will have to apply these treatments for the rest of my life, but I am glad I tried this before medication. I suppose this method wouldn't be so successful on RA that is deeper under the surface - you'd have to ask your doctor if it would work for yours.

Comment from: Jhill112, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I have dealt with this for 10 years aches over my entire body constant nausea. 7 months after my 40th birthday I gave up smoking, red meat foods that are processed and developed a healthy eating diet of veggies, fruits and fish and nuts. My body began the healing process after 4 weeks. I later changed my sleep pattern, bed sheets and what I washed my sheets with and where my bed was located in my room. My body went from 238 to 215 with a healthy eating, sleep and daily exercise and yoga. I dare you to try for more than a month.

Comment from: Joanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

My pain started 10 years ago. I thought it was due to stress and working too much. I have six kids and I'm a full-time stay at home mom. My hip on the left side was the first to feel the pain. It would be painful at night, causing me to be awake. Then my leg would be stiff and I would be unable to get out of bed in the morning. I finally saw a doctor because my right hand was so stiff and painful, I felt as if I couldn't drive. That was when I was diagnosed with RA.

Comment from: Suzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am 50 years old and I have realized I have RA and Sjogren's syndrome for about four months. I have not been to a doctor yet but I am married to one. I have been trying to manage my symptoms with NSAIDS and I take flax seed oil. I am in pain every night with my shoulder and my hands. I plan to have a steroid injection in my shoulder this week and I am thinking about seeing a rheumatologist.

Comment from: frustrated with pain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I was diagnosed with RA at age 46. Now I'm 49 and I'm in pain constantly, not to mention the intense fatigue. I am on Remicade, Arava, folic acid, and Percocet. It started in my neck and spread to both hips, hands, feet, back and just in the last two months, to my knees. I now take antidepressants. Working retail in a large warehouse doesn't help. I am hopeful they will find a miracle cure someday. I feel like i am 90 years old.

Comment from: citizen48, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I am a 63 year old female diagnosed six months ago but have had symptoms for at least 20 years. I'm taking methotrexate and Cymbalta, as well as infusions of Remicade. All my pain is from my waist down and although slightly better, certainly not something I can stand. I am going to switch doctors because I confided to my current physician that oxycodone every six hours was not helping all that much.

Comment from: Phil, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

Male, 65 years, R.A. since age 26. Over the 40 years that I have had RA, I have, I believe taken most of the drugs created for the disease. All have resulted in the normal side effects or contra indications. Currently having subcutaneous injections of methotrexate , which I believe is about to come to an end because of side effects.

Must Read Articles Related to Rheumatoid Arthritis

Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
Iritis Iritis, or anterior uveitis, is an inflammation on the front part of the eye called the iris, which is the colored part of the eye that opens and closes the pup...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA):

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Medications

What medications have been effective at treating your rheumatoid arthritis?

Rheumatoid Arthritis - Early Symptoms and Signs

The symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) - Diet

Have you made dietary changes that have improved your RA symptoms and signs? If so, please describe these changes.