Ringworm on Body (cont.)
Ringworm on the Body Home Remedies
Although infection may go away without treatment, some ringworm may require antifungal medications applied as a cream to the lesions (topical treatment).
- Apply topical antifungal medications to the lesion itself and 1 inch beyond its border twice daily for a minimum of two weeks, and at least one week after it goes away. Keep the infected area clean and dry. Over-the-counter medications available at the drugstore include
- miconazole 2% (Monistat-Derm, Lotrimin AF Powder, Lotrimin AF Powder Spray, Lotrimin AF Liquid Spray, and Micatin);
- clotrimazole 1% (Lotrimin AF Cream and Mycelex);
- butenafine 1% (Lotrimin Ultra, and Mentax);
- terbinafine 1% (Lamisil AT).
- Although diaper rash, yeast infections, and ringworm are all caused by types of fungus, the medications used for those infections (nystatin) are not effective for ringworm.
- Ringworm on the scalp may be treated with shampoo with selenium sulfide (1%-2.5%), zinc pyrithione (1%-2%), or ketoconazole such as Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment, Selsun Blue, and Nizoral.
- Apple cider vinegar has been touted as a home remedy for ringworm because of its natural antifungal properties. It may be effective for mild cases, however, it can take longer to be effective than medications. It may also sting when applied to the skin. Consult a doctor for information before using vinegar or any other natural remedy.
- Ringworm is highly contagious.
- Avoid touching suspicious lesions.
- Maintain proper hygiene by washing the hands and body frequently and laundering the linens and clothes of an infected family member separately.
- Avoid contact sports such as wrestling until you have been treating the lesions for at least 48 hours.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 7/24/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Ringworm on Body
Athlete's foot is a superficial skin infection of the foot caused by a moldlike fungus.learn more >>
Jock itch is an itchy groin rash that may be caused by a bacterial or fungal infection. Symptoms include an itchy red area in a skin fold. The rash may be raise...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ringworm on Body: