Ringworm on Body (cont.)
Ringworm on the Body Treatment
- If only one or two lesions exist, topical antifungal therapy is sufficient. One may be given a prescription for any of the following topical medications:
- Clotrimazole (Lotrimin)
- Miconazole (Monistat-Derm)
- Ketoconazole (Nizoral)
- Econazole (Spectazole)
- Oxiconazole (Oxistat)
- Sulconazole (Exelderm)
- Sertaconazole (Ertaczo)
- Naftifine (Naftin)
- Terbinafine (Lamisil)
- Substituted pyridines
- Although a topical corticosteroid is sometimes used to help relieve the itching, this should be avoided as much as possible. Steroids are never used as the only treatment in ringworm infections, as their use may worsen the infection and make the fungus more likely to spread into the hair follicles. Combination products may mix an antifungal medication with a steroid. These are usually more expensive and should also be avoided.
- Bacterial superinfections usually require antibiotics. Antifungal medication may be given as a pill for extensive infections, infections that are not cleared with a topical medicine, or infections in people with weakened immune systems. Examples of oral medications for ringworm include itraconazole (Sporanox), terbinafine (Lamisil), fluconazole (Diflucan), and griseofulvin (Grisactin). Although griseofulvin is the least expensive oral medicine, it has more side effects and does not work on as many types of ringworm as the newer medications.
- Seriously infected or deep abscesses may require surgical drainage.
Follow-up for Ringworm on the Body
After leaving the doctor's office, it is important to follow the prevention guidelines, to complete a full course of therapy, and to follow proper hygiene.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 7/24/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Ringworm on Body
Athlete's foot is a superficial skin infection of the foot caused by a moldlike fungus.learn more >>
Jock itch is an itchy groin rash that may be caused by a bacterial or fungal infection. Symptoms include an itchy red area in a skin fold. The rash may be raise...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ringworm on Body: