Viewer Comments: Ringworm on Body - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ringworm on Body:

Ringworm on Body - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with ringworm. What treatments helped?

Comment from: Private, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 26

My 6 year old daughter got it on her inner thigh. It is a little bigger than a quarter. It has been 3 weeks and it still isn't gone. I have given her a prescription cream twice a day. It is very important to not put anything on it. For about a week I would put a band aid on it when I put the cream on because I didn't want the medicine to rub off. Well that set me back a week because it didn't get any better. It needs to get air, so then I would put it on her and make her lay there for 10 minutes before I put pants on her. I have also put Cortaid on it when it itches. She would wake up in the middle of the night and say it itches so bad I can't stand it and it would stop the itch. It seems to get worse when she scratches it, so try to prevent that as much as possible. Good luck I've got a call into the doctor now to see what else I can do.

Comment from: DownButNotOut, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have ignored ringworm on my upper arm just above the bicep. It doesn't itch and is not responding to various OTC creams. Funny thing is, I got this months after leaving a women's shelter and being homeless in my car for a couple of months while discovering my husband was not just mean or jealous but a man who hears voices and sees things and they tell him to hurt me. I stayed at a spotless, surgically clean house at a church, then a motel for a week before they helped me with deposits to get in a clean looking apt. The place is pet friendly, but the pet owners keep to themselves. I've went to thrift shops for clothes and wash them but I wonder if just trying them on exposed me? I'm grateful they (two) don't itch or appear to be getting worse. A neighbor alerted the management office and now they inspect my house and seem to worry about clutter and clean laundry that is not folded or hung.

Comment from: Daan, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 16

I have been a military dog handler, and have owned and loved dogs all my life. All of them seem to pick it up from time to time, and the standard treatment I have always used is Gentian Violet. It clears the infection up in less than a week with twice daily applications. Apply directly on to the infected area with a cotton wool swab, going over on uninfected skin about a centimeter. I have also used it on myself when occasionally picking up the fungus from the dogs. It seems to work even faster on humans, and it has never failed me. The purple color looks pretty bad on one but it works!

Comment from: Teresa, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 21

After getting a free kitten, the whole family got ringworm! All of us got rid of them quickly with an over-the-counter cream.

Comment from: judy, 65-74 Published: December 16

Adopted a kitten from Humane Society outlet and he has Ringworm, got two lesions on my face and he has to get dipped in sulfur solution once a week for four weeks and I'm using Lotrimin and it seems to be working. My itching seems to come the more it heals but it is doing better. I was instructed to continue the gel about a week after it has healed. Makes my nose look like Rudolf but I still love my kitten.

Comment from: Sheryl, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 09

Blue star ointment works like a charm. You can buy it at most drug stores and Walmart.

Comment from: Maddie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

Having suffered for years (on and off) with ringworm, I read a comment either here or on some similar site. I have been using Black Walnut Oil ever since and it is amazing! First I applied right to the round site itself. The ringworm disappeared in a week or two. Then the woman who submitted the tip also lived in a damp environment (Florida) and recommended a few drops in water each day to prevent recurrence. It has! Be sure it is oil of Black Walnut. It certainly worked for me.

Comment from: chanice, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 01

My son got ringworm after being in jail and he acts like it's nothing. He went to urgent care and all they did was gave him pills for the itching.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: February 19

For me and my ringworm, it helped by always cleaning the infected area about 3 times a day. After each cleansing apply 91% Alcohol with a cotton ball, let it air dry and then apply the anti fungal cream DO NOT COVER. That only makes it grow with the moisture. Just put on a loose garment. After you have worn the garment, don't wear it again until u have washed it in hot water with bleach. Change all sheets, pillow cases, etc.

Must Read Articles Related to Ringworm on Body

Athlete's Foot
Athlete's Foot Athlete's foot is a superficial skin infection of the foot caused by a moldlike fungus.learn more >>
Jock Itch
Jock Itch Jock itch is an itchy groin rash that may be caused by a bacterial or fungal infection. Symptoms include an itchy red area in a skin fold. The rash may be raise...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ringworm on Body:

Ringworm on Body - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your ringworm?

Ringworm on Body - Treatment

What was the effective treatment for your ringworm?

Ringworm on Body - Causes

What caused your ringworm?