Viewer Comments: Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure

How did you injure your rotator cuff? Tell us about your injury.

Comment from: StephanieLC, Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I damaged my rotator cuff by taking a severe fall as a small child from a climbing frame, reaching upwards to try and grab a rung as I fell. Later I had a number of horseback riding accidents, one of which in particular involved my falling right on my bad arm. Much later in life I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, but my left shoulder was always worse than anywhere else. It seems I had been putting extreme pressure on my left shoulder by constantly sleeping on it the final straw was when I had a more recent horse-related accident when my saddle rotated and someone grabbed my bad arm to save me from coming right off the horse. I guess all those things contributed to the very large tear I have. Unfortunately because of the large size of the tear, my Rheumatoid Arthritis and the limited range of movement with severe pain I have I have been told it's likely to remain like this. I began Pilates as a way to release it and this has had some effect though I guess the answer is don't sleep heavily on one side and certainly don't fall off horses too often. I've trained myself with pillows to sleep on my other side now - as for the horses - unfortunately I'm addicted.

Comment from: Anta1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I initially injured my rotator cuff pulling a book bag and swinging it around in front of me to go up some stairs. I still had full range of motion and very little pain. I was told after an MRI I had a partial thickness tear. Several years later I carried a stack of medical records from point A to point B and I felt a pop and sudden pain in my shoulder. I could no longer lift my arm without incredible pain. Even at rest and especially sleeping at night I was in excruciating pain. I was told my rotator cuff was ruptured and I had surgery two years ago.

Comment from: marley, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I fell off the garden tractor, landing on my left shoulder. An MRI showed a fracture. The doctor gave cortisone shot in the shoulder. He does not want to operate and install screws because of heart and breathing concerns.

Comment from: preciousmoments, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, osteopenia and bilateral rotator cuff injury. I fell three times on my right shoulder. I went to the doctor and was told that nothing was broken and that there was no need for X-rays. The doctor told me to go home and rest. Back in July, I saw an ortho doctor and was told that my right shoulder was fractured and that I also have tendonitis in that shoulder. I was also told that my rotator cuff was partially torn and that I might need surgery to repair it.

Comment from: Boater, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I'm 82. I spent two days raking and pulling at vines and other growth while preparing an area for planting grass. I hauled off 12 wheelbarrows of debris. I am right-handed so most of the hard pulling was done with my right arm while my left arm guided the rake. Initially, pain was in my neck and shoulders and therapy started with various exercises. X-rays showed nothing. Then the pain went to my right shoulder and an MRI confirmed injury to my right rotator cuff.

Comment from: CheriP, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I tore my rotator cuff playing racquetball last night. I had surgery on it about 15 years ago. I understand ibuprofen is good and possibly ice. Guess I'll be out of racquetball for a while. I'm in major pain.

Comment from: kc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

Yikes! I turned 44 on Monday and did this really new fun yoga move under a great teacher and had no problems. The next day, I tried a repeat of the back bend into handstand and my shoulder 'buckled' as I rolled out of it. I tried to move my arm and felt it. Five days later still, I still have a limited range of motion. I'm using lots of ice and ibuprofen, but I fear the worst! Two years ago, I injured my rotator cuff on other arm doing power yoga. No yoga for me for a while!

Comment from: twannman112, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I injured my shoulder lifting weights. I just started lifting again and I think I started lifting weights that were too heavy, which caused the injury.

Comment from: verna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I was bailing water from a basement drain using a gallon jug and throwing it over the side of the driveway. The wind and heavy rain blew debris down blocking the drain, and water was running quickly into my garage.

Must Read Articles Related to Rotator Cuff Injury

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your rotator cuff injury?

Rotator Cuff Injury - Treatments

What treatments or physical therapy did you do for your rotator cuff injury?