Viewer Comments: Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure

How did you injure your rotator cuff? Tell us about your injury.

Comment from: verna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I was bailing water from a basement drain using a gallon jug and throwing it over the side of the driveway. The wind and heavy rain blew debris down blocking the drain, and water was running quickly into my garage.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I work in manufacturing and was at work and it had rained quite a bit that day and the floor was wet (the roof is not in perfect condition). I was attempting to push a cart on wheels that was loaded with about 1500 lbs of material. I leaned into the load and pushed and my feet went flying out behind me and I fell to the floor while still holding onto the bar of the cart. The instant pain was in my knees having fallen to hard concrete. After somewhat recovering from the shock and pain in my knees I tried to lift an impact gun and continue working. That is when I felt the extreme pain in my left arm and shoulder. I reported the injury to my boss and saw a doctor who diagnosed it as a shoulder sprain. Eight weeks later and two weeks in rehab the pain seems to be worse. The doctor now seems to think I have a torn rotator cuff and I am awaiting approval for MRI from workers compensation. Anti-inflammatory medications and pain pills are how I'm getting by for now. The good news is that they now have an electric device to move the carts with just a push of a button.

Comment from: john, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I injured my left rotator cuff lifting a suitcase.

Comment from: BRSD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

In my earlier years I worked as a grocery checker and I think that after 18 years of doing that, my left shoulder was weakened. In 2006 I had surgery for reflux and when I got home from the hospital I had intense pain in my left shoulder. I was told it was just gas bubbles from the surgery and would go away. It didn't. After an MRI they found a rotator cuff tear. I have to suppose it was caused when they were positioning me for the surgery. Cortisone helped for a while, but surgery became the only option. I am 5 months after surgery and 3 months of PT and still have pain, but I am much, much better and improving still.

Related Reading: Cortisone

Comment from: Capt Ed, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I knocked my trailer off its block with my lawn mower while I was trimming. Not thinking, I tried to pick the hitch of the trailer up. It was 250 lbs. Real smart of my. I felt something pop in my shoulder. After a visit to the doctor, I went to physical therapy and it seemed to get better, but now the pain is bad again. I am totally fearing surgery if it can be avoided.

Comment from: notahypochondriac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I didn't realize it at the time, because the sharp pain went away: I was forcing a fitted sheet onto the mattress while on top of the bed--my grip slipped, and the pain was immediate, but didn't last long. Now, weeks later the pain and muscle cramps when I use the arm (non-dominant, thankfully) constantly remind me that I need to do gentle exercises. Putting on my coat when already stiff from the cold is no fun. Thanks for the exercise suggestions--this is going to take time, I can tell. This website is very helpful since I have no insurance coverage right now.

Comment from: keserbom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I fell last summer and fractured my ankle in 6 places. I had to be non-weight bearing for 6-8 weeks following surgery. During that time period, I had to use a walker and also use my arms to help lift myself from a seated position; a lot of wear and tear on 50+ grandmother! The repeated use of my arms probably caused me to injure my rotator cuff during my convalescence. Now I am trying physical therapy and ibuprofen to avoid surgery. I am being very careful of how I use my left arm these days!

Comment from: Reebok, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I slipped on black ice. My feet went behind me and as a reflex my hands flew up to cushion my fall. Most of my body weight went to my left side. The result: an injured rotator cuff.

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have no idea how my rotator cuff was damaged. All I know is that I cannot move in certain directions. It is painful to perform activities like washing my hair and changing my clothes. I have intense pain that shoots down my arm when it is aggravated. A couple of years ago, I exercised regularly and noticed that I could not lay my elbows down with my hands behind my head on one side when doing stomach crunches. I do not have medical insurance at the moment but have started a new job. Once I receive my medical, I will be checking this problem out. It's painful!

Must Read Articles Related to Rotator Cuff Injury

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your rotator cuff injury?

Rotator Cuff Injury - Treatments

What treatments or physical therapy did you do for your rotator cuff injury?