Viewer Comments: Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure

How did you injure your rotator cuff? Tell us about your injury.

Comment from: johnel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am a 67-year-old female who was caught in a horse stampede in March of 2009. I have been in PT for three months and have experienced a great deal of improvement in my left shoulder and neck. However, the discomfort and weakness in my right shoulder and arm did not respond to treatment. I just had a MRI and two partial tears were discovered. I see the ortho surgeon Monday and anticipate surgery. I am very active and want to continue my active lifestyle. Thanks for the information you provided.

Comment from: JohnET, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I injured my rotator cuff lifting my roller-type computer case one-handed into the luggage compartment on the plane. It was heavier than I thought.

Comment from: chiefmac, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I injured my rotator cuff while doing bench presses. I stupidly added too much weight for a new set. I knew better, but I let the lightness of the barbell fool me.

Comment from: TEDDYBEAR125, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 14

My son, age 13 was assaulted in school nearly two years ago. His right shoulder was injured, resulting in a bone fracture. The bone is healed, but he is having lots of problems with the arm. I took him to a specialist, and an MRI was completed. The doctor did not see anything else wrong, but my son cannot carry anything in his right arm, or use the arm.

Comment from: LJMmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I injured my rotator cuff from continual wear and tear taking care of my special needs son. He requires a lot of lifting, moving, help with walking and positioning, etc. all of which causes significant, repetitive strains on all different areas of my body including the shoulder area. He is 175 pounds, 6'2" and because of significant low tone he often moves suddenly in an unexpected direction, which causes me to react quickly often pulling muscles in the process. I don't have the luxury of resting my arm either.

Comment from: Brute, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

I crashed while I was skiing and landed on my shoulder. I felt a shooting pain and I immediately had a limited range of motion. As it turns out, I will need surgery to repair my torn rotator cuff.

Comment from: Tennis player, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I fell with the right arm extending downward on an opened hand (not on the tennis court). The weight was most likely a good fraction of the body weight. Initially, there were no apparent injury signs, just soreness and after pains. I was an active tennis player and tried a few strokes a few weeks after the fall, but it was obvious that something was amiss. An X-ray of the shoulder did not show any misalignments. At this point the arm was starting to feel better. However as I continued doing rubber tube stretching and small weight lifting, the shoulder started to become more painful. A visit to my orthopedic doctor said the rotator cuff was the culprit, and this was mostly likely initiated by the fall. I had a cortisone shot and will continue from there. Also my range of motion was anywhere in the entire right arm hemisphere with some pain in a few angles. I could do this with a one-pound weight with no problems.

Comment from: Ruth, 55-64 Female Published: December 07

In 2003 I had surgery to repair my left rotator cuff. In 2005 I had surgery to repair my right rotator cuff. Recently, while stacking firewood, I reinjured my right rotator cuff. I am 60 years old and also have osteoarthritis. My brother injured his rotator cuff and by doing yoga he has managed to fix it. He has sent me some yoga exercises to do. I am going to try this and hopefully avoid more surgery.

Comment from: SonyaMetz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I was breaking up a fight between two large dogs. One of them bit my little finger through the bone ” nearly severing it completely just at the hand joint. During the fray, I had my hands tangled in their collars and went down to the ground face first stretching my right shoulder. I didn't realize the extent of the pain and injury until I was recovering from surgery to reattach my finger, some 4 days later. It's been 8 months and an MRI shows a complete tear of the tendon on the top of the shoulder. I have constant unremitting pain and have to wait until January to be eligible for surgery. I take Vicodin at night or I cannot sleep from the pain. Cannot brush my hair or put on a bra. It's too painful! This is a very annoying injury to have when it's your dominant arm. By the way, both dogs are fine, and they were not trying to bite me. I just got in the way. Note to self and others: Don't break up dog fights. Get the hose. I know better but now I am paying!

Must Read Articles Related to Rotator Cuff Injury

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your rotator cuff injury?

Rotator Cuff Injury - Treatments

What treatments or physical therapy did you do for your rotator cuff injury?