Viewer Comments: Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure

How did you injure your rotator cuff? Tell us about your injury.

Comment from: SkiAbomination, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am twelve years old and I have a rotator cuff injury. It all started when I skied into powder unknowingly and did a complete roll down the face off the mountain hitting my shoulder multiple times while outstretched. So I went to school thinking I was fine, which I was, until a friend of mine wanted to "fix" my shoulder and therefore forcing a rotator cuff injury. I screamed in pain and astonishment as I smacked his face repeatedly. He deserved it. Take note that I told him not to touch me but yet he continued and did. It wasn't until my next class that my hand had swollen and turned a deep red. Also I could not write. I was immediately sent home. Now here I am writing in bed with my left hand and in a sling not being able to sleep due to pain and preparing for tomorrow's X-rays and possible MRIs.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

A few days ago, I was shoveling snow. It had snowed a lot, and I was clearing away a 5-foot pile up. I got a pretty good load on the shovel and hoisted it over my shoulder. I could feel the muscles pulling, but by the time I tried to stop, my shovelling arc had already been completed. There was an initial sharp pain, and then some discomfort lifting my arm to the side. Fortunately, I still have more or less full range of movement. I just have a pretty sharp pain when I lift my arm to the side. Like I said, I've had plenty of shoulder injuries in the past. Shoulder separation being the most common. This was something different in that at least here I can move my arm in some directions, where with separations, I couldn't move at all. Not much comfort in that realization, though. Hoping that some rest and NSAIDs will get me back to the weight room in a few weeks.

Comment from: Dee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

Last summer I tried to pull up a large ivy root so that a new fence could be put in place. I tore the rotator cuff in my dominant arm (confirmed by a private MRI scan) and have been in pain ever since. Despite repeated visits to my GP, osteopath & chiropractor I can get little relief. As I am 69 it seems I am too old to be referred for surgery. Now pursuing my hobbies such as painting, writing, gardening etc are too painful, so my quality of life has shrunk. It's no fun getting old & 'past your sell-by date'!

Comment from: StephanieLC, Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I damaged my rotator cuff by taking a severe fall as a small child from a climbing frame, reaching upwards to try and grab a rung as I fell. Later I had a number of horseback riding accidents, one of which in particular involved my falling right on my bad arm. Much later in life I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, but my left shoulder was always worse than anywhere else. It seems I had been putting extreme pressure on my left shoulder by constantly sleeping on it the final straw was when I had a more recent horse-related accident when my saddle rotated and someone grabbed my bad arm to save me from coming right off the horse. I guess all those things contributed to the very large tear I have. Unfortunately because of the large size of the tear, my Rheumatoid Arthritis and the limited range of movement with severe pain I have I have been told it's likely to remain like this. I began Pilates as a way to release it and this has had some effect though I guess the answer is don't sleep heavily on one side and certainly don't fall off horses too often. I've trained myself with pillows to sleep on my other side now - as for the horses - unfortunately I'm addicted.

Comment from: CheriP, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I tore my rotator cuff playing racquetball last night. I had surgery on it about 15 years ago. I understand ibuprofen is good and possibly ice. Guess I'll be out of racquetball for a while. I'm in major pain.

Comment from: kc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

Yikes! I turned 44 on Monday and did this really new fun yoga move under a great teacher and had no problems. The next day, I tried a repeat of the back bend into handstand and my shoulder 'buckled' as I rolled out of it. I tried to move my arm and felt it. Five days later still, I still have a limited range of motion. I'm using lots of ice and ibuprofen, but I fear the worst! Two years ago, I injured my rotator cuff on other arm doing power yoga. No yoga for me for a while!

Comment from: twannman112, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I injured my shoulder lifting weights. I just started lifting again and I think I started lifting weights that were too heavy, which caused the injury.

Must Read Articles Related to Rotator Cuff Injury

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your rotator cuff injury?

Rotator Cuff Injury - Treatments

What treatments or physical therapy did you do for your rotator cuff injury?