Viewer Comments: Rotator Cuff Injury - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - Treatments

What treatments or physical therapy did you do for your rotator cuff injury?

Comment from: jamma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was given an antibiotic called Levaquin for an abscess caused from chemotherapy. Two weeks later, still taking the Levaquin, I woke up and my arms were stuck to my sides. My oncologist sent me to physical therapy. We did stretching (very slowly) three days a week. Three months went by and the pain was too excruciating for me. Medicaid wouldn't pay for an MRI so I found out that the hospital has its own program where they will fund it if qualified. I find out that I have a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder and mild tendonopathy in my right. I see the shoulder specialist tomorrow!!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I was in a car accident with a shoulder dislocation and a rotator cuff injury.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I have apparently torn my rotator cuff. This occurred when my small dog ran off quickly while still attached to the extendable leash. This pulled my arm sharply causing pain. I have just started physiotherapy and hope to avoid an operation.

Comment from: JDM, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

December 2009 I was biking off-road in the Alps. The day had dawned bright and clear, but by the time I topped the summit and started down the other side a blizzard was blowing up from the south. Visibility contracted and the falling snow blanketed over obstacles in the trail. I rounded a bend and slammed headlong (couldn't see to hop over it) into what turned out to be a large flat-sided rock. The impact produced a perfect flip over the handlebars and a not-so-perfect one-point landing on my outstretched right arm. Ouch! After several months of persistent shoulder pain I finally consulted an orthopedist. Tests revealed a rotator cuff tear. I was referred to a physiotherapist and started on a course of massage, stretches, and targeted exercises to improve blood supply and strengthen the rotator cuff muscles. This has been partially successful but one year later I still experience intermittent pain (particularly at night) and loss of mobility and function. Probably the outcome would have been better if I had sought treatment immediately, thus avoiding the tissue damage caused by chronic inflammation. Word to the wise!

Comment from: Archemedes, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I had two cortisone injections into the shoulder. It cleared up the pain for a while, but in the long term did not work.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had a car accident last year when a single decker bus went into the back of my car. The pain in the shoulder was gradual and I managed to get physio treatment in May 2011. The physio advised me that I had whip lash and the rotator cuff and nerve endings had been damaged in the accident when I lurched forward and then back in my chair. I had 6weeks physio where I was able to raise my arm but still have problems bringing the arm back. I have been advised that this last 20% or so will take longer as the nerve endings were affected too. I can now go back to playing the sport I love (Netball) although I still have to be wary when taking the arm back too far or too quickly.

Comment from: borntodrive, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I am 64 years old and an over the road truck driver. I have always been healthy with no bones, muscle, ect. problems. I was unloading and it was a double lazy boy couch that was wedged in under the ceiling of the trailer. I had to stand on my tip toes with my arms fully extended and work the couch loose an inch at a time. I felt a sharp sting in my right shoulder and thought I had just pulled a muscle. Two months later the soreness was still there and raising my arms above my chest or out to my side or behind was painful. Went to the doctor and they took x rays and told me I had a torn rotator cuff. Went on predisone for 10 days and then started passive exercise. After 1 and 1/2 months it was still not improving so I got predisone for another 10 days. Then I went on naproxen. From injury till now was about 6 months. Told the dr. I was not improving and he referred me for an mri and a specialist. Complete rotator cup tear. Had surgery about three weeks ago and I am wearing a sling that holds the arm pretty secure. Pain was severe, especially at night. I go and see the dr. 5/13/11 for follow up and maybe therapy. Just tripped this morning and tried to catch myself and stretched my arm and felt something give.

I take issue with the description of ultrasound to diagnose this problem. I have been a sonographer for fourteen years. Ultrasound IS NOT used to evaluate bone. Ultrasound CANNOT penetrate bone, so to say that the test is dependent on technologist ability is unfair to our profession!

Must Read Articles Related to Rotator Cuff Injury

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your rotator cuff injury?

Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure

How did you injure your rotator cuff? Tell us about your injury.