Viewer Comments: Rotator Cuff Injury - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - Treatments

What treatments or physical therapy did you do for your rotator cuff injury?

I take issue with the description of ultrasound to diagnose this problem. I have been a sonographer for fourteen years. Ultrasound IS NOT used to evaluate bone. Ultrasound CANNOT penetrate bone, so to say that the test is dependent on technologist ability is unfair to our profession!

Comment from: Eternal optimist, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am an active 64-year-old. Some 11 years ago, had frozen shoulder from cutting a tall hedge. Took about 2 years to heal. Some 3 years ago, had difficulty moving my arm. I had lots of injections and acupuncture, over many months, and finally ultrasound and x-ray. No arthritis, but ultrasound showed a calcium spur that was grinding through rotator cuff - 2.5 cm 'partial' tear. Requested to see orthopedic specialist. Had operation to remove calcium, during op, surgeon discovered that the tear was a large, complete tear. Then had lots of physio. Shoulder did not progress as well as physio wanted. Sent back to specialist. Then sent for MRI scan, followed by further surgery to attempt to repair the tear. Tendon was frayed (from calcium spur) and muscle weak - from reduced use over long period of time because of shoulder pain. Repair held for just over 3 months, then had re-tear. Still having physio. Still have pain, disturbed sleep most nights, and limited range of movement - nothing above shoulder level. Now having physio and exercises to strengthen deltoid muscles - to take strain off rotator cuff. Swimming (breast stroke) is very helpful. Just starting to play golf again after 6 months off. Removal of calcium from shoulder has been successful, but rotator cuff repair has not. I was aware that the operation was a long shot. Surgeon has said that it would have had a better chance of success if he had seen me at the beginning - some 3 years ago. The message is, as with all things, to seek help earlier, rather than later. I find it is better to keep active and keep using the shoulder carefully and gently, otherwise it stiffens up, but I cannot, currently, carry out tasks that require strength or pressure. There is a slight improvement every day, so it is important to keep up with the daily exercises.

Comment from: Dr. Roger, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 24

Some two months after completing External Beam Radiation for Prostate Cancer, I woke one morning and could not move my left arm. A trip to my doctor and an X-Ray did not determine what the problem was. A follow-up appointment with my oncologist started with concern and then a recommendation for an MRI. The MRI indicated a Rotator Cuff. As I use the VA Medical Care System, I have a six month wait to see a Shoulder Clinic Specialist. If surgery is required, there is a one year waiting list.

Comment from: Norse, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

Had rotator cuff surgery twice. Pain still. Dr says that I don't have enough tissue to attach to bone. He says there are no replacement parts for this ligament or tissue. He say I am all done, just hurt. Must be something that can be done.

Comment from: patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I have a great massage machine that looks like an orbital sander and vibrates deep into the muscle. Using it straight away stopped my shoulder from going stiffer and took away what stiffness I had.

Comment from: Suecee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am a registered nurse and I was pulling a heavy container of equipment (approx 100-150 lbs) on two wheels from behind and tore my rotator cuff.

Must Read Articles Related to Rotator Cuff Injury

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your rotator cuff injury?

Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure

How did you injure your rotator cuff? Tell us about your injury.