Viewer Comments: Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your rotator cuff injury?

Comment from: ambrerose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

Five years ago my knee gave out (just before my knee replacement) and I fell. I broke the fall with my left outreached arm. Right away I had pain in my shoulder which went from mild to moderate. Finally I went to the doctor after a couple of years and had an MRI which showed a torn rotator cuff. Because of my "advanced" age of 59 the doctor did not want to do surgery. He injected cortisone. In the meantime I had a similar fall on ice. Now the pain has continued and is severe. It radiates into the muscles of my upper arm and all the way down to my hand. I am taking Percocet usually twice a day. Although I am 62 my surgeon has decided to do surgery. I will have another MRI next week. I haven't been able to sleep in a bed for 5 years. Can't move my elbow away from my waist. I have burning, terrible pain. Sometimes the deltoid muscle feels like it is knotting up. I just really can't stand it. The doctor isn't very encouraging saying older people don't have good blood supply for healing, but I don't think it could be any worse and I'm willing to take the chance for improvement.

Comment from: Barbara, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I am 80 years old and recently started to have severe pain in the upper arm and shoulder area. This is in my right arm and of course I am right handed so it is very troublesome. I had never had this type of a pain before but a friend told me it sounds like a rotator cuff injury. The pain is very severe at times especially when I raise my arm. I have an appointment with my doctor but it is 5 days away and would like to know what I can do to relieve the pain now.

Comment from: kittykat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

A year ago after falling down a flight of stairs, I broke my collar bone and injured other parts of the shoulder. Now, I have no idea how, I have severe pain in the same shoulder. I'm pretty sure it's the rotator cuff. Because of other medical reasons, I cannot have MRIs. I'm wondering if a regular x-ray will show what the problem is.

Comment from: txveekay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I was seeing an orthopedic doctor for the pain in my elbow for which I had received several steroid injections over the course of 2 years. I did have a mysterious pain in my bicep, same arm, that was very bad at times, 8/10. When he started my exam he felt that my main problem was my shoulder. I was shocked as my shoulder didn't hurt. MRI showed a tear in the labrum. Easy fix he said. Scheduled for surgery a month down the road but the pain got worse so I was able to get it moved up. Dr got into shoulder and discovered significant tear in rotator cuff. No clue how that happened. He put a plastic anchor into my shoulder, stitched the labrum and cuff to it and twisted the anchor screw tightly. I didn't know about this until my 1 month checkup when I complained about continued pain and he said "didn't you watch your DVD? Yeah, you had a rotator cuff tear." At least now I don't feel like a total wimp. I'm still in pretty bad pain, 5-8/10. Use a TENS unit and ice. But I went back to work after just 4 days, including driving, and now I'm uncomfortable asking for some time off for healing after so long since the surgery.

Comment from: Walker, 45-54 Female Published: August 10

I'm 52 and have been active in sports since 5th grade. I played basketball and soft ball. I have had and ignored this pain in my shoulder for some years but I do remember being in outfield and throwing the ball in field and that is when my pain begin. I never went to the doctor. I can't even throw a rock very far now, it hurts to sleep on my right side, although I can lift my arm but it pains me to do so. Now I'm also experiencing pain on the same side in my lower back. I am going to call and set an appt. to see what may be going on with all this pain. I'm sure I have just waited too long on getting this looked at. I pray that all goes well. I still walk 5miles a day m-f.

Comment from: Loreece, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 03

I was exercising to build strength in my right arm after the removal of lymph nodes due to breast cancer surgery. After months of vigorous pushups and rotating exercises I experienced severe pain especially near the scapula. I used a heating pad for relief and am now using Tylenol for the pain. I am a health care provider and needless to say I need my arm especially since I am right handed and am responsible for documentation several times per shift. However I will be consulting my physician concerning treatment options for my rotator cuff injury.

Comment from: coach, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 20

I am an active person who recently retired after 34 years. I have been somewhat tough on my body. I am an avid golfer and play a lot and stay in shape by running and lifting light weights. One day, I felt a sudden burst of pain in my shoulder. I iced it for a month thinking it would heal. I lost all strength in my right arm. I could push away but not pull towards. I eventually lost upward range of motion. I sought medical advice and found out I tore my labrum, supraspinatus tendonitis, and subscapularis tendon. I had surgery and the pain has dramatically decreased.

Must Read Articles Related to Rotator Cuff Injury

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - Treatments

What treatments or physical therapy did you do for your rotator cuff injury?

Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure Yourself?

How did you injure your rotator cuff? Tell us about your injury.