Viewer Comments: Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your rotator cuff injury?

Comment from: Barbara, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I am 80 years old and recently started to have severe pain in the upper arm and shoulder area. This is in my right arm and of course I am right handed so it is very troublesome. I had never had this type of a pain before but a friend told me it sounds like a rotator cuff injury. The pain is very severe at times especially when I raise my arm. I have an appointment with my doctor but it is 5 days away and would like to know what I can do to relieve the pain now.

Comment from: kittykat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

A year ago after falling down a flight of stairs, I broke my collar bone and injured other parts of the shoulder. Now, I have no idea how, I have severe pain in the same shoulder. I'm pretty sure it's the rotator cuff. Because of other medical reasons, I cannot have MRIs. I'm wondering if a regular x-ray will show what the problem is.

Comment from: txveekay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I was seeing an orthopedic doctor for the pain in my elbow for which I had received several steroid injections over the course of 2 years. I did have a mysterious pain in my bicep, same arm, that was very bad at times, 8/10. When he started my exam he felt that my main problem was my shoulder. I was shocked as my shoulder didn't hurt. MRI showed a tear in the labrum. Easy fix he said. Scheduled for surgery a month down the road but the pain got worse so I was able to get it moved up. Dr got into shoulder and discovered significant tear in rotator cuff. No clue how that happened. He put a plastic anchor into my shoulder, stitched the labrum and cuff to it and twisted the anchor screw tightly. I didn't know about this until my 1 month checkup when I complained about continued pain and he said "didn't you watch your DVD? Yeah, you had a rotator cuff tear." At least now I don't feel like a total wimp. I'm still in pretty bad pain, 5-8/10. Use a TENS unit and ice. But I went back to work after just 4 days, including driving, and now I'm uncomfortable asking for some time off for healing after so long since the surgery.

Comment from: Walker, 45-54 Female Published: August 10

I'm 52 and have been active in sports since 5th grade. I played basketball and soft ball. I have had and ignored this pain in my shoulder for some years but I do remember being in outfield and throwing the ball in field and that is when my pain begin. I never went to the doctor. I can't even throw a rock very far now, it hurts to sleep on my right side, although I can lift my arm but it pains me to do so. Now I'm also experiencing pain on the same side in my lower back. I am going to call and set an appt. to see what may be going on with all this pain. I'm sure I have just waited too long on getting this looked at. I pray that all goes well. I still walk 5miles a day m-f.

Comment from: Loreece, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 03

I was exercising to build strength in my right arm after the removal of lymph nodes due to breast cancer surgery. After months of vigorous pushups and rotating exercises I experienced severe pain especially near the scapula. I used a heating pad for relief and am now using Tylenol for the pain. I am a health care provider and needless to say I need my arm especially since I am right handed and am responsible for documentation several times per shift. However I will be consulting my physician concerning treatment options for my rotator cuff injury.

Comment from: coach, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 20

I am an active person who recently retired after 34 years. I have been somewhat tough on my body. I am an avid golfer and play a lot and stay in shape by running and lifting light weights. One day, I felt a sudden burst of pain in my shoulder. I iced it for a month thinking it would heal. I lost all strength in my right arm. I could push away but not pull towards. I eventually lost upward range of motion. I sought medical advice and found out I tore my labrum, supraspinatus tendonitis, and subscapularis tendon. I had surgery and the pain has dramatically decreased.

Comment from: Happypaddy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I damaged my rotator playing golf. I had hit my ball into heavy rough and rather than take a penalty drop I elected to play it. The club stuck in the rough but my shoulder kept going. The sound of the tear was heard by the people I was playing with. This has resulted in me having a lot of pain and being unable to raise my arm over my head. Pain shoots up my arm into my neck joint and I find sleeping very difficult.

Comment from: Gitmovin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

In April of 2011, I fell when rising from the couch and took the impact on my outreached left arm. Afterwards I developed chronic pain in the shoulder and decreased range of motion which led to a referral to an orthopedic surgeon. An MRI showed "frayed" areas around the rotator cuff but no definite tears and severe tendinitis. It also showed that my shoulder had not formed properly during childhood. Steroid injections have stopped working and I have agreed to have the surgery. I hope it helps.

Must Read Articles Related to Rotator Cuff Injury

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure

How did you injure your rotator cuff? Tell us about your injury.

Rotator Cuff Injury - Treatments

What treatments or physical therapy did you do for your rotator cuff injury?