Viewer Comments: Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your rotator cuff injury?

Comment from: Brenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I was playing bush bocce and threw the ball overhand. I felt an immediate sharp pain in my right shoulder. I am right handed. I had dull pain on and off for several weeks. However after a month the pain became severe, 8 out of 10. I had trouble sleeping. The pain radiated from my shoulder down my arm into my biceps and at times in the shoulder wing area of my back. I've been to the chiropractor several times over the past 2 months with minimal short term relief. Today I went to my general physician and had x-rays. I will be starting physiotherapy this week.

Comment from: Jamie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I got in the car and was in a hurry and reached back with my left hand and grabbed the seat belt and pulled it too fast so the safety feature of the seat belt is of course to stop. So that jerked my arm catching my thumb on the belt then getting this really bad burning feeling in my left shoulder. My biggest mistake was when my shoulder started to feel better I went outside to do yard work, cutting down hedges that were high above my head with hard thick cuttings. Then a couple days after that I started sawing some thicker tree limbs and now my arm is worse that it was when I first injured my rotator cuff 9 weeks ago. I can't lift my arm up or out or behind my back, and cannot touch my right shoulder with my left hand. I have not done anything with my left arm for 2 weeks now. It's going to be a slow healing process. I have not gone to the doctor yet. If my arm is still hurting bad by October I guess I should go to the doctor!

Comment from: c, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had severe constant pain, sometimes stabbing. Inability first two days to lift arm higher than waist, and very little side movement. After a few days of resting and icing, some mobility returned to the rotator cuff. I am still unable to raise arm above chest height. I have difficulty sleeping because every position seems to put pressure on injury. Pain in joint is severe and in muscle to elbow moderate. Most everyday tasks are not possible.

Comment from: noodles, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I was riding my bicycle on a two lane road when a motorist side-swiped me and did not stop. I fell on my left side and got road rash to my left knee, left hip, and left shoulder. After x-rays and a CAT scan it was determined that I had no broken bones but I had a strain to my rotator cuff. I have limited movement of my left arm and a great deal of shoulder pain. I am icing and taking extra strength acetaminophen. If pain does not subside further I will be going to an orthopedic doctor for further exam and therapy.

Comment from: Jeremy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

At 35 years I don't think I should be experiencing this type of pain. I've always been athletic, and basketball and cross country were activities I enjoyed the most. I have never had a sports related injury to my shoulder and now I find myself unable to perform my work duties or even sleep. In 2013 I was diagnosed with tendinitis in my right shoulder. Several shots have been administered since then with no real means to an end to the pain. I am scheduled for an MRI this month. Could it really be that serious without a specific injury to the shoulder! I'm terrified that my career is in jeopardy now. I'm hearing all the horror stories of recovery from rotator cuff surgery. Not looking forward to this at all.

Comment from: Mia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I am a 51 year old women. While out with my dog (German shepherd and malamute) he ran after a ball while I was still holding the lead, he yanked my left shoulder then I fell to the ground on this shoulder. This was 8 weeks ago and I have been going to a physiotherapist, who is sure it's rotary cuff injury, which I have to agree with given the symptoms. I have had two x-rays, which show nothing as I know myself it's not a break. I've been referred to an orthopedic surgeon. I'm in agony, can't sleep at night, the usual day-to-day things are very difficult, and I read somewhere that something like this should be dealt with within 3 weeks of injury. I'm on my 8th week and getting nowhere which is really getting me down, am I over the hill at my age!

Comment from: GMan2015, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

Symptoms of rotator cuff injury started out with pain sleeping on my right shoulder, then later when I applied deodorant, I found out I was unable to lift my right hand up far enough. If I jerk my right hand to, say, try to catch a ball, it hurts. Finally I am going to the doctor to get it checked out. I believe it is a frozen nerve, but I will find out.

Comment from: ambrerose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

Five years ago my knee gave out (just before my knee replacement) and I fell. I broke the fall with my left outreached arm. Right away I had pain in my shoulder which went from mild to moderate. Finally I went to the doctor after a couple of years and had an MRI which showed a torn rotator cuff. Because of my "advanced" age of 59 the doctor did not want to do surgery. He injected cortisone. In the meantime I had a similar fall on ice. Now the pain has continued and is severe. It radiates into the muscles of my upper arm and all the way down to my hand. I am taking Percocet usually twice a day. Although I am 62 my surgeon has decided to do surgery. I will have another MRI next week. I haven't been able to sleep in a bed for 5 years. Can't move my elbow away from my waist. I have burning, terrible pain. Sometimes the deltoid muscle feels like it is knotting up. I just really can't stand it. The doctor isn't very encouraging saying older people don't have good blood supply for healing, but I don't think it could be any worse and I'm willing to take the chance for improvement.

Must Read Articles Related to Rotator Cuff Injury

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure

How did you injure your rotator cuff? Tell us about your injury.

Rotator Cuff Injury - Treatments

What treatments or physical therapy did you do for your rotator cuff injury?