Viewer Comments: Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your rotator cuff injury?

Comment from: ambrerose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

Five years ago my knee gave out (just before my knee replacement) and I fell. I broke the fall with my left outreached arm. Right away I had pain in my shoulder which went from mild to moderate. Finally I went to the doctor after a couple of years and had an MRI which showed a torn rotator cuff. Because of my "advanced" age of 59 the doctor did not want to do surgery. He injected cortisone. In the meantime I had a similar fall on ice. Now the pain has continued and is severe. It radiates into the muscles of my upper arm and all the way down to my hand. I am taking Percocet usually twice a day. Although I am 62 my surgeon has decided to do surgery. I will have another MRI next week. I haven't been able to sleep in a bed for 5 years. Can't move my elbow away from my waist. I have burning, terrible pain. Sometimes the deltoid muscle feels like it is knotting up. I just really can't stand it. The doctor isn't very encouraging saying older people don't have good blood supply for healing, but I don't think it could be any worse and I'm willing to take the chance for improvement.

Comment from: txveekay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I was seeing an orthopedic doctor for the pain in my elbow for which I had received several steroid injections over the course of 2 years. I did have a mysterious pain in my bicep, same arm, that was very bad at times, 8/10. When he started my exam he felt that my main problem was my shoulder. I was shocked as my shoulder didn't hurt. MRI showed a tear in the labrum. Easy fix he said. Scheduled for surgery a month down the road but the pain got worse so I was able to get it moved up. Dr got into shoulder and discovered significant tear in rotator cuff. No clue how that happened. He put a plastic anchor into my shoulder, stitched the labrum and cuff to it and twisted the anchor screw tightly. I didn't know about this until my 1 month checkup when I complained about continued pain and he said "didn't you watch your DVD? Yeah, you had a rotator cuff tear." At least now I don't feel like a total wimp. I'm still in pretty bad pain, 5-8/10. Use a TENS unit and ice. But I went back to work after just 4 days, including driving, and now I'm uncomfortable asking for some time off for healing after so long since the surgery.

Comment from: Walker, 45-54 Female Published: August 10

I'm 52 and have been active in sports since 5th grade. I played basketball and soft ball. I have had and ignored this pain in my shoulder for some years but I do remember being in outfield and throwing the ball in field and that is when my pain begin. I never went to the doctor. I can't even throw a rock very far now, it hurts to sleep on my right side, although I can lift my arm but it pains me to do so. Now I'm also experiencing pain on the same side in my lower back. I am going to call and set an appt. to see what may be going on with all this pain. I'm sure I have just waited too long on getting this looked at. I pray that all goes well. I still walk 5miles a day m-f.

Comment from: Happypaddy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I damaged my rotator playing golf. I had hit my ball into heavy rough and rather than take a penalty drop I elected to play it. The club stuck in the rough but my shoulder kept going. The sound of the tear was heard by the people I was playing with. This has resulted in me having a lot of pain and being unable to raise my arm over my head. Pain shoots up my arm into my neck joint and I find sleeping very difficult.

Comment from: Gitmovin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

In April of 2011, I fell when rising from the couch and took the impact on my outreached left arm. Afterwards I developed chronic pain in the shoulder and decreased range of motion which led to a referral to an orthopedic surgeon. An MRI showed "frayed" areas around the rotator cuff but no definite tears and severe tendinitis. It also showed that my shoulder had not formed properly during childhood. Steroid injections have stopped working and I have agreed to have the surgery. I hope it helps.

Comment from: Kat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I am a massage therapist, which involves considerable repetitive pressure on my arms and shoulders. I have been experiencing a dead sensation in my bicep, which is gradually worsening and now very painful. I am struggling to lift my arm and it's painful when I sleep. Sadly it's my right arm so very restricting. I have seen my GP who diagnosed rotator cuff injury. I'm taking ibuprofen and resting. Hopefully it will heal soon.

Comment from: Juliene74, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I am unable to raise my arm above my head and my pinkie finger goes numb sometimes.

Comment from: sammy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I have pain lifting my arm above my shoulder.

Must Read Articles Related to Rotator Cuff Injury

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure

How did you injure your rotator cuff? Tell us about your injury.

Rotator Cuff Injury - Treatments

What treatments or physical therapy did you do for your rotator cuff injury?