Viewer Comments: Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your rotator cuff injury?

Comment from: rad, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I fell off my bed and since then I have been having pain in my shoulder down my arm and right down to my thumb. I cannot raise my hand as it is so painful, if I lie down I have problem getting up. This is now three months I am in pain with the rotator cuff injury, I cannot use my arm for lifting groceries.

Comment from: Brenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I was playing bush bocce and threw the ball overhand. I felt an immediate sharp pain in my right shoulder. I am right handed. I had dull pain on and off for several weeks. However after a month the pain became severe, 8 out of 10. I had trouble sleeping. The pain radiated from my shoulder down my arm into my biceps and at times in the shoulder wing area of my back. I've been to the chiropractor several times over the past 2 months with minimal short term relief. Today I went to my general physician and had x-rays. I will be starting physiotherapy this week.

Comment from: Jamie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I got in the car and was in a hurry and reached back with my left hand and grabbed the seat belt and pulled it too fast so the safety feature of the seat belt is of course to stop. So that jerked my arm catching my thumb on the belt then getting this really bad burning feeling in my left shoulder. My biggest mistake was when my shoulder started to feel better I went outside to do yard work, cutting down hedges that were high above my head with hard thick cuttings. Then a couple days after that I started sawing some thicker tree limbs and now my arm is worse that it was when I first injured my rotator cuff 9 weeks ago. I can't lift my arm up or out or behind my back, and cannot touch my right shoulder with my left hand. I have not done anything with my left arm for 2 weeks now. It's going to be a slow healing process. I have not gone to the doctor yet. If my arm is still hurting bad by October I guess I should go to the doctor!

Comment from: c, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had severe constant pain, sometimes stabbing. Inability first two days to lift arm higher than waist, and very little side movement. After a few days of resting and icing, some mobility returned to the rotator cuff. I am still unable to raise arm above chest height. I have difficulty sleeping because every position seems to put pressure on injury. Pain in joint is severe and in muscle to elbow moderate. Most everyday tasks are not possible.

Comment from: noodles, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I was riding my bicycle on a two lane road when a motorist side-swiped me and did not stop. I fell on my left side and got road rash to my left knee, left hip, and left shoulder. After x-rays and a CAT scan it was determined that I had no broken bones but I had a strain to my rotator cuff. I have limited movement of my left arm and a great deal of shoulder pain. I am icing and taking extra strength acetaminophen. If pain does not subside further I will be going to an orthopedic doctor for further exam and therapy.

Comment from: Jeremy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

At 35 years I don't think I should be experiencing this type of pain. I've always been athletic, and basketball and cross country were activities I enjoyed the most. I have never had a sports related injury to my shoulder and now I find myself unable to perform my work duties or even sleep. In 2013 I was diagnosed with tendinitis in my right shoulder. Several shots have been administered since then with no real means to an end to the pain. I am scheduled for an MRI this month. Could it really be that serious without a specific injury to the shoulder! I'm terrified that my career is in jeopardy now. I'm hearing all the horror stories of recovery from rotator cuff surgery. Not looking forward to this at all.

Comment from: Mia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I am a 51 year old women. While out with my dog (German shepherd and malamute) he ran after a ball while I was still holding the lead, he yanked my left shoulder then I fell to the ground on this shoulder. This was 8 weeks ago and I have been going to a physiotherapist, who is sure it's rotary cuff injury, which I have to agree with given the symptoms. I have had two x-rays, which show nothing as I know myself it's not a break. I've been referred to an orthopedic surgeon. I'm in agony, can't sleep at night, the usual day-to-day things are very difficult, and I read somewhere that something like this should be dealt with within 3 weeks of injury. I'm on my 8th week and getting nowhere which is really getting me down, am I over the hill at my age!

Comment from: GMan2015, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

Symptoms of rotator cuff injury started out with pain sleeping on my right shoulder, then later when I applied deodorant, I found out I was unable to lift my right hand up far enough. If I jerk my right hand to, say, try to catch a ball, it hurts. Finally I am going to the doctor to get it checked out. I believe it is a frozen nerve, but I will find out.

Must Read Articles Related to Rotator Cuff Injury

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury:

Rotator Cuff Injury - Treatments

What treatments or physical therapy did you do for your rotator cuff injury?

Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure Yourself?

How did you injure your rotator cuff? Tell us about your injury.