Ruptured Tendon (cont.)
Ruptured Tendon Treatment
Self-Care at Home
All ruptured tendons, regardless of site, follow standard RICE (rest, ice,
elevation) home therapy procedure as you seek medical attention.
- Resting the affected extremity
- Ice application to the affected area
- Apply ice in a plastic bag wrapped in a towel or
with a reusable cold pack wrapped in a towel.
- Applying ice directly to skin because may lead to further damage if left on for a prolonged period of time.
- Compression of the affected area to minimize swelling
- Apply compression by loosely wrapping the affected area with an ACE bandage.
- Be sure that the bandage does not cut off blood flow to the area in question.
- Elevation of the extremity if possible: Try to keep the area above the level of your heart to minimize swelling.
- It is recommended that the quadriceps rupture should be immobilized in an extended (straight knee) position and that biceps rupture should be immobilized in a sling with the elbow bent at 90
Must Read Articles Related to Ruptured Tendon
Achilles Tendon Rupture
The Achilles tendon, or tendon calcaneus, is a large ropelike band of fibrous tissue in the back of the ankle that connects the powerful calf muscles to the hee...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ruptured Tendon: