Are There Any Home Remedies for Scabies?
Although there is no good evidence that scabies can be cured without prescription medication from a doctor, there are certain things you can do at home to keep from reinfesting yourself or your family.
- Wash all clothing, towels, and bed linens that you have used in the last three days. Use hot water. You should use the dryer at high heat rather than air drying. Since the mites can survive on nonliving objects for several days, place the objects that are not machine washable (such as coats and stuffed toys) into a bag and store for a week. Dry-cleaning will also kill the mites.
- Cut your nails, and clean under them thoroughly to remove any mites or eggs that may be present.
- Thoroughly vacuum carpets, furniture, bedding, and car interiors, and throw the vacuum-cleaner bag away when finished.
- Try to avoid scratching. Keep any open sores clean. Itching may be treated with antihistamine medications such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl), hydroxyzine (Atarax), cetirizine (Zyrtec), and promethazine (Phenergan). Topical measures to reduce itching such as cool baths or calamine lotion should not be given while the prescription cream is being used because it will wash the cream off or prevent it from getting into the skin.
- Shampoo your hair regularly.
Home remedies such as neem or tea tree oil, hydrogen peroxide, Borax, bleach, olive oil and lemon, Lysol, alcohol (rubbing alcohol), apple cider vinegar, and clove oil are largely untested and are not recommended as a substitute for prescription medication according to the CDC. The CDC states that no over-the-counter products have been tested or approved to treat scabies.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 2/22/2016
Must Read Articles Related to Scabies
An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Hives and Angioedema
Hives are a sudden allergic skin reaction. Hives are raised reddish bumps that cause severe itching. Angioedema is similar to hives but the welts are larger and...learn more >>
A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of nonin...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies: