Viewer Comments: Scabies - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies?

Comment from: Janet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I experienced irritated, scaly itching eyelids, as well as pinching and itching all over my body and scalp.

Comment from: violet, Published: July 22

For the second time in 6 months, myself, my 4 kids, and my husband (also some of my other family) have caught scabies from my husband's daughter, who we only visit every few months. The first time was insane. I never heard of scabies before then, and it drove me insane. I was like a mad person... visiting multiple doctors, and all the cleaning and paranoia. It was very hard on my entire family, but after about 1-2.5 weeks, it was all over, and so amazingly behind us!!!! Now about 6 months later we went to visit my stepdaughter again, and here we are again!!! We're on our second treatment of cream, and with 4 small children, and a billon things to clean, I really hope it will be gone.

Comment from: babeso, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I itched and scratched like crazy. The next day I had a red rash and what looked like welts. Then my daughter could see like little pimples. I got the cream and it is helping. I have to do it a second time. My doctor told me yo put all my bed clothes in a plastic bag sealed good and leave it in the bag for three days and then wash in hot water. I am also taking Benadryl tablets. This is a terrible thing to have.

Comment from: ElizabethT, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

At first I started getting little red bumps on my arms, stomach, and legs. Then they started to itch like crazy. And after awhile I got little clear bumps on my hands. So I finally went to the doctor, and the first one said it wasn't scabies, and said it was eczema. So he gave me some cream to help the itching. Well after two weeks nothing changed I still itched and I still had the bumps. So I went to a different doctor and she said it was scabies. So she gave me a cream I had to rub all over myself and leave it on for 24 hours then wash it off in the morning.

Comment from: jane, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I went to the doctor with itching on mainly my abdomen about a month after giving birth to my daughter. I didn't go out much at all during that time, but had started going to the tanning bed. I didn't even know what scabies was. I was convinced that I had to have gotten them from there. None of the others had it. It was very embarrassing. Then about 10 years later, I got it again

Comment from: Kieron, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

Hey guys, this skin infection has made me an extremely paranoid and self conscious person for the last month, I have no confidence and feel ashamed of myself, I have read various articles about Scabies and I am genuinely disturbed by their infestation on myself as well as others. I really hope these filthy parasites will be eliminated in my next treatment which I will take more seriously. I would also like to take the opportunity to wish good luck to everyone that has contracted Scabies and tell them that it is good to share this information, do not suffer in silence PLEASE and make sure you see your G.P. when you can.

Comment from: No longer itchy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I got scabies about 25 years ago right after starting college. I lived with 3 roomates and various people hung out at our apartment all the time. I saw a dermatologist 2 or 3 times before a correct diagnosis was made. I was not sexually active at the time. Doctor said I could have gotten it from sitting on the sofa after someone else who had scabies, shaking hands with someone, etc. None of my roomates ever got it, but I spread it to my parents when I visited them and sat on their furniture (or when I hugged them). It was on my abdomen and really bad between my fingers. THe itching was terrible. Kwell lotion cleared it up.

Must Read Articles Related to Scabies

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Hives and Angioedema
Hives and Angioedema Hives is a sudden allergic skin reaction. Hives are raised reddish bumps that cause severe itching. Angioedema is similar to hives but the welts are larger and ...learn more >>
Rash
Rash A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of noninfectious rashes include eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea, hives, and al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

From WebMD