Viewer Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: lilone, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 10

I was recently diagnosed with scabies. I am a nursing student so I had come into contact with many people. The doctor told me it was not necessary to tell my class of my new diagnosis because it has to be close contact, but I recently started dating someone new; and it was a very embarrassing thing to have to share. Over all he took it very well and understands and he himself went to get checked for it. I started the cream about 1 1/2 ago and replied it once about 1/2 a week ago. Unfortunately, I am still itching severely and have gone through utmost measures to rid myself of them. After reading this article I understand that it takes a while for the itching to stop.

Comment from: Dove, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I went to the doctor with a rash. He merely said it was an allergy. I went to the allergy Fair in London, where I had a blood test. They said I was allergic to wheat and cow's milk etc. I went back to the doctor and asked for a hospital test. The results, he said, were normal. Since I was itching and not able to sleep, I went to a laboratory and they said my digestive tract was inflamed. They also confirmed allergy to wheat, eggs, milk, avocado, peanuts, and bananas. I have always watched my food intake, but since they said all was normal, I had a croissant and sandwich ten days apart. I had been told that I could re-introduce these foods and I had not eaten them really for 35 years. I was sure that the itching was from the wheat. I carried on itching so badly that I thought I would tear my skin off. Finally I went to an emergency hospital in Europe. He diagnosed scabies. I am surprised that my London doctor did not take a sample of my rash. I think it was very badly handled. I have now had it for four months.

Comment from: Rapunzel, 25-34 (Patient) Published: February 03

My two kids go to Mexico to visit their father every year. It seems like every time they go, something happens. My son has psoriasis and dermatitis and seen the dermatologist eight times in one year. It took five months for the doctor to even suggest scabies. After severe itching and rash and months later, we all have it.

Comment from: Dallas, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I felt so itchy on my left arm after Thanksgiving day and scratched myself badly. Within two days it went over my other arm, feet, thighs, and then my body. There were a lot of bumps but no colors when I scratched and nothing like WedMD's pictures. After two days of being crazy I went to the doctor and she said I got scabies. I used permethrin cream all over my body for one night. After washing it I still felt itchy. Taking Benadryl didn't help me at all. I went to Wal-mart and got Tea Tree Oil (100% pure) and applied all over my body after the shower (twice a day). I could last at work for th whole day without scratching myself badly. The tea tree oil also helps all the wounds heal very fast. Now 1 week after my first scratch from scabies, I am clean from it. Thank you for all your posts and the tea tree oil.

Comment from: Kathryn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have just been diagnosed with scabies on my upper ankle. Here in east Texas we have red ants. That's what I thought bit me but the "bites" just wouldn't heal. Thus, a visit to my GP. He prescribed a cream I'm to put all over my body then shower off 12 hours later. And wash all bedding, clothing, etc. I have absolutely no idea where I contracted these nasty little creatures. I'm an elderly single woman, and not sexually active, so can't imagine how I contracted this.

Comment from: supercutemom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I came home from a trip to the lake with a terrible rash that itched like crazy. I had to go to three doctors before I found out I had scabies. It is truly the worst itching I have ever experienced! The itching got much worse at night. My doctor was able to determine it was scabies because the rash made a linear pattern. It was mainly on my chest, under arms and bottom and legs. I used a cream that my whole family and I left on for 8 to 14 hours and then washed off in the shower. We repeated the process a week later. It seemed to work and for now we are scabies free. After getting scabies I was told I had Impetigo. Please be careful if you have scabies because it can easily turn into another serious skin infection. Good luck and don't be embarrassed if you get it. It happens to the best of families and people.

Comment from: blair, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Icy Hot or Blue Ice muscle rub KILLS scabies

Comment from: jen, Female (Patient) Published: March 12

Ivermectin is the very best and surest remedy.

Must Read Articles Related to Scabies

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an learn more >>
Hives and Angioedema
Hives and Angioedema Hives are a sudden allergic skin reaction. Hives are raised reddish learn more >>
Rash A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of noninfectious rashes include eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea, hives, and al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies?