Viewer Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: girl next door, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had scabies about six months ago and I tried the prescribed cream that the doctor told me to use and found that after several weeks I was not seeing any real improvement. I started looking at websites and found an old home remedy that might just do the trick. I went to the store and for about $8.00 I bought a bottle of tea tree oil. I rubbed in everywhere I had spots and not only did it take care of the itching but within two weeks it was starting to clear up. Unfortunately where I had scratched so much though I do still have some scars from the places where I had the rash. I hope this is helpful.

Comment from: Nana, 13-18 Female Published: August 03

My older sister works at a daycare, and I guess one of the kids came out having scabies. My oldest sister sleeps with my younger sister and now they are both infested with scabies. One has them on her feet, legs, arms, behind, and stomach, and the other on her hands and elbows. They are scratching all the time.

Comment from: dotzoe, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

About 65 years ago my whole family was contaminated with scabies. An older friend of mine advised me to buy some "green" soap at the drug store and to ask the pharmacist to sell me some sulfur cream. I was directed to put the cream in all affected places each of three consecutive days after thoroughly washing myself with the soap and on the third day to bathe myself and getting rid of the clothes that I had worn through the treatment. All eleven of us followed the procedure. The bedclothes were sent off to the laundry for decontamination. The scabies were gone within a week, never to return.

Comment from: pete, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I hope I can help people with the information I have to share. I was diagnosed with scabies about three weeks ago. I don't know how I got it. I've never had it before, but it's miserable. My doctor prescribed 'Derbac M' lotion for me. I followed the instructions and after about two weeks, there was a marked difference. However, my doctors told me to reapply the lotion after seven days. The spots started fading and I felt better. The itching is still with me, but it is slowly getting better. The itching can take a while to subside, though don't despair. My doctor prescribed me Trimovate cream for the itching. By the way, we have changed and washed our clothes and bedding every day until we saw some improvement. I hope this helps someone out there. Good luck.

Comment from: mother, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

My son somehow contracted scabies. He broke out in little red bumps, so I took him to the doctor, who misdiagnosed scabies as eczema. Later on, though, I started itching too, so we went to a dermatologist who did a skin scrape and he said it was scabies. My son has it so bad on his hands and feet that he has started to blister. We are using the lotion the doctor said to use, but this is really bad. I really hope we can get rid of it.

Comment from: Tuck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I contracted scabies two years ago, thanks to a hotel that didn't appropriately clean their rooms and linens. I was misdiagnosed with some form of contact eczema at first (family doctor), and after suffering with the maddening itching for two weeks and using his cortizone cream, I broke down and went to a dermatologist. She immediately diagnosed scabies, prescribed the premetrine, and it cleared up after a few days. Benadryl was very helpful in stopping the itching, as was COLD showers. Hot showers seem to just agitate the little critters. What I did was wash in a warm shower (while the little critters ran amuck) and then cooled it down to as cold as I could stand it - and that would just about stop the itch. Unfortunately, once you've had these things, you're susceptible to them. We went to Vegas for a little vacation last week, and on the plane back Saturday I noticed my right hand breaking out. Sunday, they'd literally exploded all over my body in the warm, moist places that they like. SO - I'm back in to see the dermatologist this afternoon (she was good enough to work me in, being sympathetic to the itch). I've read that they don't normally attack the face, but I even have them on my face this time. I have no idea what triggered this episode, as the hotel was very clean, linens were changed daily, I wasn't in contact with anybody - just no idea. Maybe it was losing all that nasty money and my frayed nerves that weakened my immune system to the point that they were able to get loose. Who knows?

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with scabies two months ago. I used the cream twice, but it didn't seem to help. I used sulfur powder which eliminated the itching. I believe I contracted this from an air mattress. I now have sores on my arms and legs. It started on my back and chest then migrated. I am going to try baby oil and a hot sauna. I hope it works.

Comment from: sisi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I just found out a week ago my daughter has scabies, and I do too. There are other friends of hers that I have noticed who are itching and have bumps. No one wants to admit that they have mites on them, though. I immediately told the other families. They went and got checked out and they have it as well. This is a very scary thing but we have the cream and I pray it works. Thank you all for writing your comments. It's a reassurance that everything will be ok.

Must Read Articles Related to Scabies

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an learn more >>
Hives and Angioedema
Hives and Angioedema Hives are a sudden allergic skin reaction. Hives are raised reddish learn more >>
Rash A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of noninfectious rashes include eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea, hives, and al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies?