Viewer Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with scabies two months ago. I used the cream twice, but it didn't seem to help. I used sulfur powder which eliminated the itching. I believe I contracted this from an air mattress. I now have sores on my arms and legs. It started on my back and chest then migrated. I am going to try baby oil and a hot sauna. I hope it works.

Comment from: sisi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I just found out a week ago my daughter has scabies, and I do too. There are other friends of hers that I have noticed who are itching and have bumps. No one wants to admit that they have mites on them, though. I immediately told the other families. They went and got checked out and they have it as well. This is a very scary thing but we have the cream and I pray it works. Thank you all for writing your comments. It's a reassurance that everything will be ok.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I have just been diagnosed with scabies too. The itching started about a month ago. I figured that it was dry skin so I delayed getting it checked out even though the red bumps were a dead giveaway that something was wrong. I too can't believe that I have this. This is my nightmare. Bugs in my skin!! Aghhh... I am a nursing student and most definitely got them from giving bed baths to my patients. What a nice gift? I have just applied medication to my whole body. Everybody in my family has applied the treatment also (even though there is no evidence yet of them being infected). Everybody has to do it on the same day.....I want to say thanks to everybody posting and sharing their info.....I will definitely try the sauna too!!! I wish everyone luck in getting rid of these critters! Yuk...

Ancient remedy was pine tar and sulphur, both are avail in soaps. Some people try a really hot sauna. 120 degrees for ten mins supposedly kills the mites according to the cdc site. A good sauna is heated to 200 degrees or more. Just don't sweat on anyone! The cream seems to work but you really have to cover every inch of the body from neck down. People miss a spot and it fails. NO JEWELRY! They should put that on the label. Mites cling to watches, rings, etc. And they say it takes two weeks to know for sure if the cream worked. People say in a super hot sauna you can feel the mites freak out and die. Some people say the mites get burning and push to the surface and jump. Just look up sauna to kill scabies. Good luck and be careful. Hot saunas are tough.

Comment from: Nomad, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

Thank you for providing such a thorough and informative medical review. It helped me greatly.

Comment from: Female Published: January 04

I have had scabies for about two months now. I was misdiagnosed with hives. Benadryl helps at night and takes away some of the itching, but now I have to see a doctor and I don't have insurance.

Comment from: scratchynitchy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I have scabies all over my face, ears and neck, and all over my body. The doctor prescribed lice treatment and said that it's the same medicine used for scabies. The thing is that this medication is not working, and I am out of my mind with this itching.

Comment from: Millwright Dan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

Is scabies embarrassing? It sure is. This is ridiculous. I've never had anything like this in my life. I work in mining camps and usually we work two or three weeks in and two weeks out. Well, you're often sleeping in different bunk rooms. The bedding is always changed and clean but the mattresses don't get changed. Apparently this is where I picked up this evil little bug. I'm going nuts. It looks like I have chicken pox, even though there is no itching (yet). I just have a whole bunch of little red bumps. They're on my crotch, neck, head, arms, chest… basically everywhere. I just applied that NIX cream yesterday and feel like I'm covered in Vaseline (I'm all greasy!). I'm not sure how long it takes for this stuff to work but I'm getting more bumps. I hope this stuff does work because it's $27.00 a tube. I bought 3, applied 1 tube and plan on re-applying in three days then again 3 days after that. My wife and kids don't have any of these red bumps so I hope the doctor diagnosed it right.

Comment from: peccavione, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

I have scabies now and it's very uncomfortable, with all the itching and burning sensations. I have no real clue as to how I received this, only that I work in a hospital ER, and my dermatologist said, "that explains it." I'm using the Permethrin Cream now, started 2 days ago. I know I should wait a week before applying it again, but I'm so itchy I just want to make sure I kill all the mites. All the itching makes it hard to tell if I killed them all or not.

Must Read Articles Related to Scabies

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Hives and Angioedema
Hives and Angioedema Hives is a sudden allergic skin reaction. Hives are raised reddish bumps that cause severe itching. Angioedema is similar to hives but the welts are larger and ...learn more >>
Rash
Rash A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of noninfectious rashes include eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea, hives, and al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies?