Viewer Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: boots4lizz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I also do not know how I came into contact with this parasite or mite or whatever annoying little bugger that it is. I found this information on e-medicine health to be more explanatory and very proficient in describing this awful allergic reaction. I also found it to be more thorough than WebMD in some cases, for instance, the detail description and photos were right on the money, and I also found the information to be comforting as well as upsetting. I am happy to know there is a cure. Thanks for the very thorough information and I look forward to visiting this site from now on for my medical questions and needs.

Yes, it's hard to know if you got rid of the bugs with treatment. I treated with Permetherin 5% and followed in between with neem oil and tear tree oil together...then witch hazel and tea tree oil...then another dose of the RX. I still itch which I heard is part of the side affects of meds but also feel like I am getting new bites. I've been to the Laundromat so much, we're on a first name basis. It sucks because you feel like you don't want to go anywhere or hug anyone or have them at your home because you are afraid you might infect someone. I think I am going to try the extra strength Ben Gay. Sounds hopeful.

Comment from: kare_65, 45-54 (Patient) Published: December 23

A week ago I started to get little bumps on the tops of my hands. It spread to my entire body. So 4 days ago I went to the ER they diagnosed me with scabies, gave me a prescription for tremerthin said it would cure it. Well it didn't, in fact it got worse. Went to my family doctor, she said scabies and gave me a prescription for the same thing and some pills for the itching. Well I am still covered, and I can only take the pills at night because they make me drowsy. No one else in the house has gotten this. I am going nuts with the itching.

Comment from: Audrey in LA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I got rid of mine with extra strength Bengay ($8.00 a tube). It burns them out and they really go wild but it worked for me. Do follow up with the eggs as they hatch--just a dab on the stinging spot, but don't miss any. Good luck.

Comment from: miserablemite, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I just got diagnosed with scabies today, after about a month of this disgusting little bug, has been working under my skin. My entire family has it now, and I am so frustrated with the numerous doctor visits, and expensive creams and even home remedies that have been unsuccessful. So now, I was prescribed Cetirizine 1 tablet a day, Topicort for the itching, Ivermectin 4 tablets 1 time only on Wednesday. A Meddrok Pak to take as directed, Permetrhrin which I am to apply liberally all over my body to stay on overnight and Last but not least Tramcinolone to apply twice a day as needed for rash/itching. So hopefully, all this will help us. Cool showers help to alleviate the itching, but who wants to be taking cold showers for the rest of my life....NOT ME.

Must Read Articles Related to Scabies

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Hives and Angioedema
Hives and Angioedema Hives is a sudden allergic skin reaction. Hives are raised reddish bumps that cause severe itching. Angioedema is similar to hives but the welts are larger and ...learn more >>
Rash
Rash A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of noninfectious rashes include eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea, hives, and al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies?