Viewer Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: Tuck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I contracted scabies two years ago, thanks to a hotel that didn't appropriately clean their rooms and linens. I was misdiagnosed with some form of contact eczema at first (family doctor), and after suffering with the maddening itching for two weeks and using his cortizone cream, I broke down and went to a dermatologist. She immediately diagnosed scabies, prescribed the premetrine, and it cleared up after a few days. Benadryl was very helpful in stopping the itching, as was COLD showers. Hot showers seem to just agitate the little critters. What I did was wash in a warm shower (while the little critters ran amuck) and then cooled it down to as cold as I could stand it - and that would just about stop the itch. Unfortunately, once you've had these things, you're susceptible to them. We went to Vegas for a little vacation last week, and on the plane back Saturday I noticed my right hand breaking out. Sunday, they'd literally exploded all over my body in the warm, moist places that they like. SO - I'm back in to see the dermatologist this afternoon (she was good enough to work me in, being sympathetic to the itch). I've read that they don't normally attack the face, but I even have them on my face this time. I have no idea what triggered this episode, as the hotel was very clean, linens were changed daily, I wasn't in contact with anybody - just no idea. Maybe it was losing all that nasty money and my frayed nerves that weakened my immune system to the point that they were able to get loose. Who knows?

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with scabies two months ago. I used the cream twice, but it didn't seem to help. I used sulfur powder which eliminated the itching. I believe I contracted this from an air mattress. I now have sores on my arms and legs. It started on my back and chest then migrated. I am going to try baby oil and a hot sauna. I hope it works.

Comment from: sisi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I just found out a week ago my daughter has scabies, and I do too. There are other friends of hers that I have noticed who are itching and have bumps. No one wants to admit that they have mites on them, though. I immediately told the other families. They went and got checked out and they have it as well. This is a very scary thing but we have the cream and I pray it works. Thank you all for writing your comments. It's a reassurance that everything will be ok.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I have just been diagnosed with scabies too. The itching started about a month ago. I figured that it was dry skin so I delayed getting it checked out even though the red bumps were a dead giveaway that something was wrong. I too can't believe that I have this. This is my nightmare. Bugs in my skin!! Aghhh... I am a nursing student and most definitely got them from giving bed baths to my patients. What a nice gift? I have just applied medication to my whole body. Everybody in my family has applied the treatment also (even though there is no evidence yet of them being infected). Everybody has to do it on the same day.....I want to say thanks to everybody posting and sharing their info.....I will definitely try the sauna too!!! I wish everyone luck in getting rid of these critters! Yuk...

Ancient remedy was pine tar and sulphur, both are avail in soaps. Some people try a really hot sauna. 120 degrees for ten mins supposedly kills the mites according to the cdc site. A good sauna is heated to 200 degrees or more. Just don't sweat on anyone! The cream seems to work but you really have to cover every inch of the body from neck down. People miss a spot and it fails. NO JEWELRY! They should put that on the label. Mites cling to watches, rings, etc. And they say it takes two weeks to know for sure if the cream worked. People say in a super hot sauna you can feel the mites freak out and die. Some people say the mites get burning and push to the surface and jump. Just look up sauna to kill scabies. Good luck and be careful. Hot saunas are tough.

Comment from: Nomad, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

Thank you for providing such a thorough and informative medical review. It helped me greatly.

Comment from: Female Published: January 04

I have had scabies for about two months now. I was misdiagnosed with hives. Benadryl helps at night and takes away some of the itching, but now I have to see a doctor and I don't have insurance.

Comment from: scratchynitchy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I have scabies all over my face, ears and neck, and all over my body. The doctor prescribed lice treatment and said that it's the same medicine used for scabies. The thing is that this medication is not working, and I am out of my mind with this itching.

Must Read Articles Related to Scabies

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Hives and Angioedema
Hives and Angioedema Hives are a sudden allergic skin reaction. Hives are raised reddish bumps that cause severe itching. Angioedema is similar to hives but the welts are larger and...learn more >>
Rash
Rash A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of nonin...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies?