Viewer Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Comment from: going crazy, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 04

My son had all these little red bumps all over his body. So I took him to the doc and she looked at him and said that he had scabies. I was a little scared I have never had to deal with this before. I have 2 other kids. So i went to get the medication and we applied for it after paying 50 dollars and washed all the clothes and bedding, floors, and everything. Now he has been home from school for over a week and still nothing. I don't think that he has scabies. He has nothing in his hands, feet, and nothing showing that it is tracking and browning in his skin. Nothing on his elbows or underarms. The places he has it is face, noes, eyelids, lips, chest, hips, and waist.

Comment from: lexi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

My dr. is totally convinced that I have scabies, and I'm pretty sure she's right. Unfortunately, I've used Permethrin 3 times in the last six weeks and have had no success. I've had this rash, which started on my head about 2 weeks after a haircut in a busy salon, for about 9 months now. I'm getting scars on my chest and back, plus it has spread to my face. I've tried Benadryl, cortisone creme, and no luck, not even with the itching. However, I have experienced a minute change since I starting using Aveeno colloidal oatmeal lotion 3 times a day in addition to colloidal oatmeal baths daily for the last week. If this stuff doesn't go away, I'm going to lose my freaking mind! I can't go back to work until I am rid of this, per my boss. It is difficult to go back to the dr. to get more creme, which also is not cheap. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them and if anyone has luck with the oatmeal, I would also like to know. Even though it's only been a small amount of help, it helped more than 3 treatments of Permethrin. What's crazy is that I've had it for 8 months, and my fiance hasn't had the first symptom. It's not in the bends of my body, either rather my back, and face, chest, and a small spot on my ribs, a streak on my stomach, and a patch between my hip and pelvis. Part of me wishes this could be a misdiagnosis. I just want it gone! Any tips would be more than greatly appreciated!

Related Reading: cortisone

Comment from: ashers909, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have no idea how I got scabies. I didn't really notice it or anything until about two weeks later. I finally went to the doctor, and I used permethrin. It has worked really well, and everything on my hands, elbows, and anywhere on my body in general, is gone. I'm still a little paranoid though, but the itching is almost gone, and everything seems to be healing.

Comment from: lilone, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 10

I was recently diagnosed with scabies. I am a nursing student so I had come into contact with many people. The doctor told me it was not necessary to tell my class of my new diagnosis because it has to be close contact, but I recently started dating someone new; and it was a very embarrassing thing to have to share. Over all he took it very well and understands and he himself went to get checked for it. I started the cream about 1 1/2 ago and replied it once about 1/2 a week ago. Unfortunately, I am still itching severely and have gone through utmost measures to rid myself of them. After reading this article I understand that it takes a while for the itching to stop.

Comment from: Rapunzel, 25-34 (Patient) Published: February 03

My two kids go to Mexico to visit their father every year. It seems like every time they go, something happens. My son has psoriasis and dermatitis and seen the dermatologist eight times in one year. It took five months for the doctor to even suggest scabies. After severe itching and rash and months later, we all have it.

Comment from: Dallas, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I felt so itchy on my left arm after Thanksgiving day and scratched myself badly. Within two days it went over my other arm, feet, thighs, and then my body. There were a lot of bumps but no colors when I scratched and nothing like WedMD's pictures. After two days of being crazy I went to the doctor and she said I got scabies. I used permethrin cream all over my body for one night. After washing it I still felt itchy. Taking Benadryl didn't help me at all. I went to Wal-mart and got Tea Tree Oil (100% pure) and applied all over my body after the shower (twice a day). I could last at work for th whole day without scratching myself badly. The tea tree oil also helps all the wounds heal very fast. Now 1 week after my first scratch from scabies, I am clean from it. Thank you for all your posts and the tea tree oil.

Comment from: Kathryn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have just been diagnosed with scabies on my upper ankle. Here in east Texas we have red ants. That's what I thought bit me but the "bites" just wouldn't heal. Thus, a visit to my GP. He prescribed a cream I'm to put all over my body then shower off 12 hours later. And wash all bedding, clothing, etc. I have absolutely no idea where I contracted these nasty little creatures. I'm an elderly single woman, and not sexually active, so can't imagine how I contracted this.

Must Read Articles Related to Scabies

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Hives and Angioedema
Hives and Angioedema Hives is a sudden allergic skin reaction. Hives are raised reddish bumps that cause severe itching. Angioedema is similar to hives but the welts are larger and ...learn more >>
Rash
Rash A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of noninfectious rashes include eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea, hives, and al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies:

Scabies - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies?