Follow-up for Sciatica
Common sense should tell someone what to do.
- Follow the simple home care measures described above for pain relief. Use pain medicines, both over the counter and those prescribed for by a doctor.
- Avoid reinjuring oneself. If hurting too much, back off on that activity and rest. Go slowly, if necessary, but try to keep active.
- Using a cane or a crutch for support will be helpful until the pain is under control.
What Steps Can Help Prevent Sciatica?
- Proper lifting techniques in keeping the back straight while bending the knees to pick up items often help avoid mechanical back problems.
- Keep flexibility and muscle tone by performing stretching exercises. These help keep the muscles in the back healthy and strong. Maintaining one's weight within the recommended limits for one's height will go a long way to maintaining a healthy back as well.
- Walking and yoga have been shown in studies to help back pain.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 5/17/2016
Must Read Articles Related to Sciatica
An abscess is has several causes and can appear o...learn more >>
Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica: