Viewer Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

...
Comment from: linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have been getting lower back pain a lot pain, it goes into my buttocks, into my thigh, and then my knee, sometimes into my calves. It hurts when I sit for long time and hurts when I walk. The pain is really extreme, I think it may be sciatica.

Comment from: Hi Guys, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

I am a victim of sciatica, it shows up in my lower back and right leg and the pain is not possible to describe but to people that are also having this problem. I need to drive a car and it was only possible for some 30 km and I would get this leg pain that would mean I had to stop and walk around or my wife would have to drive. There had to be an answer. I did various ways of adjusting the seat to almost sitting flat out, the police don't seem to like that. Then as my wife is a horse fanatic I thought that when a horse has a back problem they use a gel pad under the saddle to cushion and distribute the weight. So I borrowed one of these gel pads, folded it in half, put on top of that a small cushion from the cat basket, and put them towards the back part of the car driving seat and I sit on top of this. This means that the underside of your thigh is not pressurized by the driving seat. It needs a little practice but I can now drive 800 km with only one stop and that's not because of the sciatica. It works for me, I hope it works for you.

Comment from: Desperate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

My sciatica started about 15 months ago with hip pain. I was sent off to an orthopedic surgeon who did some X-rays and told me I needed a hip replacement. A cortisone injection in the hip achieved nothing, however, so we moved onto an MRI of the lumbar spine and a bone scan. These showed a disc bulge but nothing too dramatic. A referral to a neurosurgeon was arranged. He could see nothing on the scans he could operate to fix. Meanwhile, the pain has gotten worse and worse; I am in pain when standing, walking, sitting and lying down. I am sleeping very poorly (due to pain) and finding myself dopey in the morning if I take over-the-counter drugs (e.g. Mersyndol night) to try and get a good night's sleep. I am feeling very despondent about all this and desperate for a solution. My latest referral has been to a neurologist who has sent me for an MRI of the thoracic and lumbar spine -- still no solution in sight and I am limping around like an old lady. I am only 50, not overweight -- and usually -- have an active lifestyle. I am trying to keep up with my exercise, but it is getting harder and harder to do so.

Comment from: dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I joined a gym a couple of years to lose a little weight and tone. As time passed the muscles in my butt and back of my thighs felt like they were on the verge of cramping all the time. About a month ago I had some dental work done and was given a script for swelling. When I finished the script my muscle pain became impossible to tolerate. Getting out of bed was the worst. Standing up straight before my muscles warmed up pulled those muscles so bad. A friend of mine suggested yoga. I bought yoga for beginners DVD and did it every other night for a week. It didn't take long for me to find out how bad my posture is. So, with bad posture and lifting weights I figured I must have had a pinched nerve or something. So I took a 3 week break from the gym, started taking ibuprofen and kept doing the yoga DVD. I had to pay attention to my posture at all times, but when I had it right I could feel the pressure release in my lower back. And when I had it wrong I felt the instant pain in my muscles. I started feeling better a little more each day. At the end of the three weeks I decided to Google lower back pain to find out exactly what was wrong with me. I came across Sciatica. Every single one of my symptoms were there. From what I read the more active you are the better you will feel. I started going back to the gym and I'm pain free most of the day now. I think once I put the correct posture with strengthening the muscles that will support me I'm taking the pressure off the sciatic nerve. I'm not 100% yet, but I can stand up straight as soon as I get out of bed with no pain. Today was my 4th day of going back to the gym.

My pain started a few days after a long driving trip (4000 miles). It's the first time I've had this problem. The pain was very intense making even simple movements of my left leg very painful. It was a 10 on the 1-10 scale. Bending over was impossible. No matter how long I looked at my sock on the floor I could not pick it up. The pain would strike from my left butt cheek to my left ankle. After I'd move it would continue to ache for a period of time. I could not sit in most chairs as it was too uncomfortable. I spent four days in a chair with minimal time out of the chair. I could barely walk to get to the bathroom or to get food. After the fourth day I found that 800 mg of Ibuprofen would give me relief for about three hours. The day after that (today) the pain was much less, only about a 4 on the 10 scale and that was without any Ibuprofen. I'm looking forward to continued recovery.

To begin with, the pain was located in the upper inner quadrant of the left buttock as if a deep intramuscular injection was given! Then the pain started radiating down the buttock, back of the thigh down to the popliteal fossa. I could minimize the pain by adopting certain postures. Heat was more effective in alleviating the pain. In three weeks time, the pain severity came down by almost 50% without using too many analgesics. Walking exercises were continued despite pain.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Sciatica

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear o...learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Treatments

What treatments have been helpful with your sciatica?

Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sciatica?