Viewer Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Emily, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

Hi, all you Sciatica sufferers, I'm in my early 30's and have suffered thru this sometimes unbearable pain now for the last 3yrs on a weekly basis. Ever since my 9lb 8.2oz baby girl was born. Sometime last year, I gave in and went to a wonderful orthopedic in the Franklin, TN area. I was able to receive a MRI after the X-rays and CT scans, of course. Anyways, I have two bulging discs that are pressing periodically on the sciatic nerve. Its' that constant throbbing feeling in the lower back to my left side and the muscle in my buttocks cramps or something Ouch! Down the leg the pain goes.

Comment from: sunpoint, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 10

My sciatica presents as pain in the hip. It's worse at night when I'm in bed and the pain runs down my leg.

Comment from: lbferguson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have had sciatic pain for 5 years. The first two years I thought it was muscular, squats, lunges, etc. from the gym where I work out 4-5 days a week. I am in great shape and am extremely flexible. For the past two years however, my sciatica has become unbearable. It is the worst when sitting, usually during the 90-minute drive to and from work 5 days a week, but I get it gardening, standing over the bathroom sink brushing my teeth, sitting my bed, sitting in a seat at a restaurant or at work, everywhere and anywhere. I have seen my orthopedic surgeon, a chiropractor, had X-ray guided spinal injections. Nothing has worked and nothing has helped. I am now going holistic and trying acupuncture. I am out of options!

Comment from: Sally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I have recently had a horrendous experience with sciatica. I was barely able to walk a few steps and even then the pain was excruciating. A lot of advice you may read tells you to carry on working or keep active. This really is not realistic if you truly have this condition of a ruptured disc. I honestly felt I could not carry on many times, I spent 6 nights in a row unable to sleep at all because of the pain, prescribed pain relief made me very sick. I lost 1 stone in weight purely because I could not get myself any food and had to rely on other people who had to go to work in the day. At one point I moved into a hotel just to have regular meals. I eventually got a diagnosis and MRI scan and the doctor could tell straight away how bad it was as the reflexes in my right foot did not work at all. My father died during this period just 8 weeks ago in Turkey and I had to have a wheelchair at the airport. Luckily, I made a dramatic improvement all in one go after 3 months. There is still a bit of pain and I can feel the piece of disc is still there but it is paradise in comparison. Time seems to heal this condition best if you can bear it. The best thing though is that I am nice and slim and appreciate being able to walk normally.

Comment from: marlene, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

Sciatica has been with me since I was a young girl, and trying to keep fit and playing netball did not really help, also nursing the elderly and lifting gave me a lot of grief, leading me to leave my profession. I find now that I am 60yrs some days I use a walking frame that takes the pressure off my spine and my knees. Taking medications has led me to gastritis, but at this stage I can't do without the anti-inflammatory medications.

Comment from: Alan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I just got sciatica for the second time. The first time, it lasted for 48 hours, and this time, it has lasted for three days. The new pain is in my right left and it is intense. It runs pretty much all the way down my leg. The pain gets worse if I twist my foot or put weight on my leg. There is a particular spot that, if pressed, makes it much worse. I have no idea what I did to cause it.

Comment from: Cyrus, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I am experiencing chronic lower back pain that continues down my left leg. I have been seeing a chiropractor for the past 8 weeks who claims my pelvis is out of alignment which he is trying to correct. Many years ago I injured my back and have a 40% compressed disk. My back has not bothered me until this summer when I probably spent too much time on the golf course. I am not sure the chiropractor is on the right track in trying to cure my problem. Generally, I get some relief from acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

Comment from: happy teacher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have dealt with sciatica now for nearly two years. Walk, walk, walk. Walking is not only physically good for you, but now my mp3 player, my good sneakers and I are inseparable. (I popped for excellent running shoes I use for balance and walking.) Massage is also a real help if you find a well-trained masseuse. Take charge of your pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Sciatica

Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Treatments

What treatments have been helpful with your sciatica?

Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sciatica?