Viewer Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Alan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I just got sciatica for the second time. The first time, it lasted for 48 hours, and this time, it has lasted for three days. The new pain is in my right left and it is intense. It runs pretty much all the way down my leg. The pain gets worse if I twist my foot or put weight on my leg. There is a particular spot that, if pressed, makes it much worse. I have no idea what I did to cause it.

Comment from: Cyrus, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I am experiencing chronic lower back pain that continues down my left leg. I have been seeing a chiropractor for the past 8 weeks who claims my pelvis is out of alignment which he is trying to correct. Many years ago I injured my back and have a 40% compressed disk. My back has not bothered me until this summer when I probably spent too much time on the golf course. I am not sure the chiropractor is on the right track in trying to cure my problem. Generally, I get some relief from acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

Related Reading: acetaminophen

Comment from: happy teacher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have dealt with sciatica now for nearly two years. Walk, walk, walk. Walking is not only physically good for you, but now my mp3 player, my good sneakers and I are inseparable. (I popped for excellent running shoes I use for balance and walking.) Massage is also a real help if you find a well-trained masseuse. Take charge of your pain.

Comment from: tiredofpain1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 16

I have had this pain for a couple of months now. When I visit the chiropractor, I only get relief for about one day. I also take 900 milligrams of ibuprofen, which seems to help and I also bathe in Epsom salts and very hot water for long periods of time. Some say exercise my back, other s say don't. This is a very confusing condition, so I'm going to a neurologist after I see the chiropractor tomorrow.

Comment from: gingernut, Published: November 09

I have suffered sciatica type pain for years now. It's worse if I sit for prolonged periods or time, normally moving around and walking helps alleviate it. I have read that it is often the opposite that happens with sciatica. I've finally seen a doctor who didn't dismiss me and sent me for an X-ray which didn't show anything. I am underweight which probably doesn't help, my physiotherapist says that weight isn't a factor, so I wonder if my posture is mainly to blame.

Comment from: Emeraldw7, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have been dealing with pain for about 1 month now and the doctor gave me Vicodin. I have been using that when the pain gets real bad. So far I have basically had no relief at all sleeping in bed isn't even an option because every time I roll over it hurts. I cry even when I am sleeping. Hot packs don't help and I have tried the exercises but it hurts too much. The cold seems to make it hurt worse. If anyone has any other things I can try I would appreciate it. I am at my wits end. I am 27 and I used to study nursing but I can't even do that now. Needless to say it is taking its toll on my marriage, I can't even get physical with my husband because it hurts my back too much. Please I am willing to try ANYTHING!!

Comment from: ohmyback, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I have been dealing with this for almost 25 years. I am only 39 years old and have gone through crippling episodes when I can't walk (from 2 days up to a month at a time) at all. Chiropractic care and exercise (mainly stretching) have always helped, but if I stop these things it always comes back. So anytime I feel any pain at all I am back to the chiropractor and back to a stretching regimen. I never take any kind of meds (nothing) because it gives me a false sense of security and I end up making it worse because I feel better so I think I can do more(not true, let it heal before exerting yourself). One of my main problems is my hamstrings, if they are not loose it puts major pressure on my lower back while bending and another episode is eminent. So as long as I keep my hamstrings good and stretched, it seems to keep me feeling pretty good.

Comment from: Brittany, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I have been enduring this pain, lower left back, down my left leg. It started so quickly, and I headed for the doctors office. I have 3 medications I am taking right now. Today is the 4th day. Some relief. Yesterday though it was so bad I had to actually tell my self to pick up the left leg and walk. By the time I got home, I was physically and mentally worn out.

Must Read Articles Related to Sciatica

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Treatments

What treatments have been helpful with your sciatica?

Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sciatica?