Viewer Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Sally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I have recently had a horrendous experience with sciatica. I was barely able to walk a few steps and even then the pain was excruciating. A lot of advice you may read tells you to carry on working or keep active. This really is not realistic if you truly have this condition of a ruptured disc. I honestly felt I could not carry on many times, I spent 6 nights in a row unable to sleep at all because of the pain, prescribed pain relief made me very sick. I lost 1 stone in weight purely because I could not get myself any food and had to rely on other people who had to go to work in the day. At one point I moved into a hotel just to have regular meals. I eventually got a diagnosis and MRI scan and the doctor could tell straight away how bad it was as the reflexes in my right foot did not work at all. My father died during this period just 8 weeks ago in Turkey and I had to have a wheelchair at the airport. Luckily, I made a dramatic improvement all in one go after 3 months. There is still a bit of pain and I can feel the piece of disc is still there but it is paradise in comparison. Time seems to heal this condition best if you can bear it. The best thing though is that I am nice and slim and appreciate being able to walk normally.

Comment from: marlene, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

Sciatica has been with me since I was a young girl, and trying to keep fit and playing netball did not really help, also nursing the elderly and lifting gave me a lot of grief, leading me to leave my profession. I find now that I am 60yrs some days I use a walking frame that takes the pressure off my spine and my knees. Taking medications has led me to gastritis, but at this stage I can't do without the anti-inflammatory medications.

Comment from: Alan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I just got sciatica for the second time. The first time, it lasted for 48 hours, and this time, it has lasted for three days. The new pain is in my right left and it is intense. It runs pretty much all the way down my leg. The pain gets worse if I twist my foot or put weight on my leg. There is a particular spot that, if pressed, makes it much worse. I have no idea what I did to cause it.

Comment from: Cyrus, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I am experiencing chronic lower back pain that continues down my left leg. I have been seeing a chiropractor for the past 8 weeks who claims my pelvis is out of alignment which he is trying to correct. Many years ago I injured my back and have a 40% compressed disk. My back has not bothered me until this summer when I probably spent too much time on the golf course. I am not sure the chiropractor is on the right track in trying to cure my problem. Generally, I get some relief from acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

Comment from: happy teacher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have dealt with sciatica now for nearly two years. Walk, walk, walk. Walking is not only physically good for you, but now my mp3 player, my good sneakers and I are inseparable. (I popped for excellent running shoes I use for balance and walking.) Massage is also a real help if you find a well-trained masseuse. Take charge of your pain.

Comment from: tiredofpain1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 16

I have had this pain for a couple of months now. When I visit the chiropractor, I only get relief for about one day. I also take 900 milligrams of ibuprofen, which seems to help and I also bathe in Epsom salts and very hot water for long periods of time. Some say exercise my back, other s say don't. This is a very confusing condition, so I'm going to a neurologist after I see the chiropractor tomorrow.

Comment from: gingernut, Published: November 09

I have suffered sciatica type pain for years now. It's worse if I sit for prolonged periods or time, normally moving around and walking helps alleviate it. I have read that it is often the opposite that happens with sciatica. I've finally seen a doctor who didn't dismiss me and sent me for an X-ray which didn't show anything. I am underweight which probably doesn't help, my physiotherapist says that weight isn't a factor, so I wonder if my posture is mainly to blame.

Comment from: Emeraldw7, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have been dealing with pain for about 1 month now and the doctor gave me Vicodin. I have been using that when the pain gets real bad. So far I have basically had no relief at all sleeping in bed isn't even an option because every time I roll over it hurts. I cry even when I am sleeping. Hot packs don't help and I have tried the exercises but it hurts too much. The cold seems to make it hurt worse. If anyone has any other things I can try I would appreciate it. I am at my wits end. I am 27 and I used to study nursing but I can't even do that now. Needless to say it is taking its toll on my marriage, I can't even get physical with my husband because it hurts my back too much. Please I am willing to try ANYTHING!!

Must Read Articles Related to Sciatica

Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sciatica:

Sciatica - Treatments

What treatments have been helpful with your sciatica?

Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your sciatica?